Start by marking “Medical Myths That Can Kill You: And the 101 Truths That Will Save, Extend, and Improve Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Do you know what’s really good for you?

In this age of countless miracle cures, it’s vital to separate the myths that endanger your health from the medical facts you need.

FACT:
Unfiltered coffee can clog your arteries.

FACT:
Donating blood may lower your risk of heart disease.

FACT:
You don’t really need eight glasses of water a day.

FACT:
Coughing won’t help if you’re having...more
Published May 20th 2008 by Crown (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Medical Myths That Can Kill You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medical Myths That Can Kill You

Kaye
I heard the writer on NPR, and she sounded really interesting, but when I got the book, the sections seemed like sidebar articles that you might read in a pop magazine (like Shape, or Women's Day). It wasn't really riveting, or surprising. I felt like I'd seen all this information before.
Janet
Not so impressed by this book or her writing ability. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Did appreciate the nice chart of medical tests and screenings with the frequency recommended.
Keith Kendall
Medical Myths That Can Kill You: And 101 Truths That Will Save, Extend and Improve Your Life
By Nancy L Snyderman, M.D.

This book is sensible, and easy read, and easy to understand. The ending wrapped it all up, and made it clear that the author has good common sense. You won’t find the “secret” to success in here. It is not a secret, we have known for decades what we should and should not do. Gradually the evidence accumulates and we learn more details about exactly what causes and what prevents...more
Mazola1
This book is a quick collection of commonsense medical advice. The medically sophisticated will not find much new in it and will probably find it to be too simple. But even smart and knowledgeable people fall into some of the bad habits or make some of the foolish mistakes that Dr. Snyderman discusses in her book, like not eating a healthy diet, failing to get that annual physical, or not being entirely truthful with their doctor.

The central thesis of this book is that "health springs from livi...more
Alesia Nicole
great source of information a lot of it felt pretty much like everything that is already there but with a few little twists on things! Still a great read through!
Carole
Jul 09, 2008 Carole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book easy to read. It was helpful in giving you guidelines - for dr. visits, vitamins, meds, etc. She gives you clear cut questions to ask your doctor and when and what tests you need. Some things I knew but others I didn't. But over all I found it very informative. I like the little myth boxes where she explained why or why not some things we believe are or aren't true and what you should do instead - one was about 8 glasses of water a day; that is a myth - drink when you are thirs...more
Abby
I am brilliant. I have never fallen prey to any of the super secret "myths" that she debunked in this book. I already knew that vaccines were good for adults, and that you should see your doctor annually. I knew all her secret "truths" too. Like...I forgot. I can't remember any good ones. I just know that I knew them already!

I am suing her for plagarizing my brain.

Just kidding. The book was fine, just not particularly enlightening (to me).
Michele
I completely agree with the reviewer that said the content was like that found in a pop magazine. The endnotes are few and some citations are reference webmd.com (not exactly a primary source). When I got to the segment on homeopathic medicine I lost any meager confidence in the author that had remained to that page. Despite there being some useful information in this book, I cannot recommend it.
Lynnea
Very quick and easy to read. I really liked how Dr. Snyderman used her own examples - personally and from patients - along with jargonless medical explanations.

My review sounds like it should be a 5-star. I only gave it 3 stars because a lot of it was common sense - no huge light bulb moments and not a book I'm going to tell all of my friends to read (like the books I rate with 5 stars).
Lauren
This is an excellent book, a great start to debunking myths that have been with us for too many lifetimes. I recommend it to everyone. It's not one of those asinine (not to mention dangerous!) "cures the government is hiding" books, which are chock full of lies and deadly "advice." This is actual medical information from an actual medical doctor. Imagine that.
Susan
Good reading for your inner hypochondriac from the doctor who's often on The Today Show (although I have switched over to the Diane Sawyer Robin Cook thing on channel 7). As with all these books, one starts to self-diagnose...personally, I feel a coma coming on...oh wait, I'm just sleepy. G'night.
This book was great! She expanded on the knowledge I already had about a lot of medical issues and gave me some new information that I wasn't aware of at the same time. I recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about how to keep their health in check.
Monica
you dont really need 8 glasses of water a day.
tap water is as good as bottled water.
taking vitamin c does not prevent colds.
plain soap works just as well as antibacterial soaps for killing disease causing germs.
the secret to a long life is to stay in school.
Nicole
Very interesting--stuff I didn't know, or hadn't really thought about before. My very favorite part was the ending. I plan to implement her "this is today's gift" idea in my own life, and with my kids.
Leslie
Most of the book was things I had learned over the years or read in articles, etc. However, I think she did a good job on explaining mental illness to those who do not suffer from Depression, Anxiety, etc.
lynn
i really enjoy her style of writing. Easy to understand.. lots of interesting tid bits of knowledge she shares.
L
Not too much that we didn't already know, but she has some interesting factoids that were new to me.
Very informative. A lot of neat information for anyone who has to visit the doctor regularly.
Susan Haines
Was great to listen to in the car on a trip. Sensible, research-based ideas conveyed well.
Keith
a very quick read, just a lot of short side bars
Tammy
ouch! get immunized. Pay attention to your body.
Becca
I found this book very informative.
Kristie Castellini
Not much new or surprising information
Cary
Worthy of a quick skim.
Mary May
Mary May is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
Frank P. Scott
Frank P. Scott marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Diet Myths That Keep Us Fat: And the 101 Truths That Will Save Your Waistline--and Maybe Even Your Life Girl in the Mirror: Mothers and Daughters in the Years of Adolescence Necessary Journeys: Letting Ourselves Learn From Life Dr. Nancy Snyderman's Guide To Good Health: What Every Forty Plus Woman Should Know About Her Changing Body Live a Little!: Breaking the Rules Won't Break Your Health