Start by marking “Medical Myths That Can Kill You: And the 101 Truths That Will Save, Extend, and Improve Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Do you know what’s really good for you?

In this age of countless miracle cures, it’s vital to separate the myths that endanger your health from the medical facts you need.

FACT:
Unfiltered coffee can clog your arteries.

FACT:
Donating blood may lower your risk of heart disease.

FACT:
You don’t really need eight glasses of water a day.

FACT:
Coughing won’t help if you’re having
Published May 20th 2008 by Crown (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Medical Myths That Can Kill You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medical Myths That Can Kill You

Kaye
Jul 03, 2008 Kaye rated it did not like it
I heard the writer on NPR, and she sounded really interesting, but when I got the book, the sections seemed like sidebar articles that you might read in a pop magazine (like Shape, or Women's Day). It wasn't really riveting, or surprising. I felt like I'd seen all this information before.
Janet
May 30, 2008 Janet rated it it was ok
Not so impressed by this book or her writing ability. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Did appreciate the nice chart of medical tests and screenings with the frequency recommended.
Keith Kendall
Oct 10, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it really liked it
Medical Myths That Can Kill You: And 101 Truths That Will Save, Extend and Improve Your Life
By Nancy L Snyderman, M.D.

This book is sensible, and easy read, and easy to understand. The ending wrapped it all up, and made it clear that the author has good common sense. You won’t find the “secret” to success in here. It is not a secret, we have known for decades what we should and should not do. Gradually the evidence accumulates and we learn more details about exactly what causes and what prevents
Mazola1
Oct 02, 2009 Mazola1 rated it liked it
This book is a quick collection of commonsense medical advice. The medically sophisticated will not find much new in it and will probably find it to be too simple. But even smart and knowledgeable people fall into some of the bad habits or make some of the foolish mistakes that Dr. Snyderman discusses in her book, like not eating a healthy diet, failing to get that annual physical, or not being entirely truthful with their doctor.

The central thesis of this book is that "health springs from livi
Rena Sherwood
Dec 27, 2014 Rena Sherwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A lot of pop medical books or crap -- or really long advertisements for certain products. This is neither. In one sense, it's a shame that a book like this is necessary. However, most people need practical advice, like "Natural does not mean it's good for you."
Alesia
Mar 26, 2014 Alesia rated it liked it
great source of information a lot of it felt pretty much like everything that is already there but with a few little twists on things! Still a great read through!
James Biser
Dec 02, 2015 James Biser rated it liked it
This book is full of helpful advice.
Carole
Jul 09, 2008 Carole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book easy to read. It was helpful in giving you guidelines - for dr. visits, vitamins, meds, etc. She gives you clear cut questions to ask your doctor and when and what tests you need. Some things I knew but others I didn't. But over all I found it very informative. I like the little myth boxes where she explained why or why not some things we believe are or aren't true and what you should do instead - one was about 8 glasses of water a day; that is a myth - drink when you are thirs ...more
Abby
May 05, 2010 Abby rated it it was ok
I am brilliant. I have never fallen prey to any of the super secret "myths" that she debunked in this book. I already knew that vaccines were good for adults, and that you should see your doctor annually. I knew all her secret "truths" too. Like...I forgot. I can't remember any good ones. I just know that I knew them already!

I am suing her for plagarizing my brain.

Just kidding. The book was fine, just not particularly enlightening (to me).
Michele
Mar 29, 2013 Michele rated it did not like it
I completely agree with the reviewer that said the content was like that found in a pop magazine. The endnotes are few and some citations are reference webmd.com (not exactly a primary source). When I got to the segment on homeopathic medicine I lost any meager confidence in the author that had remained to that page. Despite there being some useful information in this book, I cannot recommend it.
Lynnea
Aug 15, 2008 Lynnea rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very quick and easy to read. I really liked how Dr. Snyderman used her own examples - personally and from patients - along with jargonless medical explanations.

My review sounds like it should be a 5-star. I only gave it 3 stars because a lot of it was common sense - no huge light bulb moments and not a book I'm going to tell all of my friends to read (like the books I rate with 5 stars).
Lauren
This is an excellent book, a great start to debunking myths that have been with us for too many lifetimes. I recommend it to everyone. It's not one of those asinine (not to mention dangerous!) "cures the government is hiding" books, which are chock full of lies and deadly "advice." This is actual medical information from an actual medical doctor. Imagine that.
Susan
Feb 03, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Good reading for your inner hypochondriac from the doctor who's often on The Today Show (although I have switched over to the Diane Sawyer Robin Cook thing on channel 7). As with all these books, one starts to self-diagnose...personally, I feel a coma coming on...oh wait, I'm just sleepy. G'night.
Jun 12, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book was great! She expanded on the knowledge I already had about a lot of medical issues and gave me some new information that I wasn't aware of at the same time. I recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about how to keep their health in check.
Monica
Mar 23, 2010 Monica rated it really liked it
you dont really need 8 glasses of water a day.
tap water is as good as bottled water.
taking vitamin c does not prevent colds.
plain soap works just as well as antibacterial soaps for killing disease causing germs.
the secret to a long life is to stay in school.
Nicole
Jun 22, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Very interesting--stuff I didn't know, or hadn't really thought about before. My very favorite part was the ending. I plan to implement her "this is today's gift" idea in my own life, and with my kids.
Leslie
Aug 25, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: medicalandhealth
Most of the book was things I had learned over the years or read in articles, etc. However, I think she did a good job on explaining mental illness to those who do not suffer from Depression, Anxiety, etc.
lynn
Jun 04, 2009 lynn rated it liked it
i really enjoy her style of writing. Easy to understand.. lots of interesting tid bits of knowledge she shares.
L
Oct 16, 2009 L rated it liked it
Not too much that we didn't already know, but she has some interesting factoids that were new to me.
Aug 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Very informative. A lot of neat information for anyone who has to visit the doctor regularly.
Susan Haines
Jan 30, 2012 Susan Haines rated it really liked it
Was great to listen to in the car on a trip. Sensible, research-based ideas conveyed well.
Keith
Aug 28, 2012 Keith rated it it was ok
a very quick read, just a lot of short side bars
Tammy
Jun 14, 2009 Tammy rated it really liked it
ouch! get immunized. Pay attention to your body.
Becca
Jun 23, 2008 Becca rated it really liked it
I found this book very informative.
Kristie Castellini
Jun 15, 2008 Kristie Castellini rated it it was ok
Not much new or surprising information
Cary
Jun 15, 2009 Cary rated it it was ok
Worthy of a quick skim.
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
TD
TD rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
LT
LT added it
Aug 07, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How Not to Die: Surprising Lessons on Living Longer, Safer, and Healthier from America's Favorite Medical Examiner
  • The V Book: A Doctor's Guide to Complete Vulvovaginal Health
  • Head First: The Biology of Hope and the Healing Power of the Human Spirit
  • Trials of the Monkey: An Accidental Memoir
  • The Mezuzah in the Madonna's Foot: Marranos and Other Secret Jews--A Woman Discovers Her Spiritual Heritage
  • Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor
  • Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual
  • Maybe Yes, Maybe No
  • Beginning Programming for Dummies [With CDROM]
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
  • Vegetable Gardening for Dummies?