Start by marking “My People Was Music” as Want to Read:
My People Was Music

My People Was Music

Kirk Judd has lived, worked, trout fished and wandered around in West Virginia all of his life. Upon release, this collection of his poetry already has been acclaimed by Poet Laureates of West Virginia and Illinois.

The collection includes a music CD with Judd's spoken word performance accompanied by acclaimed mountain musicians playing acoustic instruments on traditional
Paperback, First - Includes Music CD, 120 pages
Published 2014 by Mountain State Press

To ask other readers questions about My People Was Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My People Was Music

Rhonda Browning White
Jun 20, 2014 Rhonda Browning White rated it it was amazing
Assonance. Ballad. Climax. All the way to Zinger. The poetry in Kirk Judd’s My People Was Music has everything from A to Z, and yet leaves you wanting more, more, more of his gritty, cheeky, soul-baring and heart-blazing words. These pages are filled with the ghosts of people and mountains. Judd strips pretense and honestly exposes the land and people of West Virginia whom so many have inaccurately stereotyped, misjudged, misused and discarded. Here is loss. Here is love. Here is home.

This 120-
Valerie
Jan 25, 2015 Valerie rated it really liked it
There is no gussying-up here. This is the plain hard rock undergirding Appalachia. This is the sound of water rushing, the clawhammer banjo sound, the crack of a wedge as it splits that cross-grained stump of oak. Kirk Judd has been making poems for a long time, but like a pine knotted onto the windswept cliff, he keeps his roots solidly in the earth of his native land.

"What you do is
if you are comin' West on 60
and you run outta gas on top of Gauley Mountain
you just don't hit your brakes
an
Laura Bentley
Sep 14, 2014 Laura Bentley rated it it was amazing
These are stirring, authentic, beautiful, and honest poems by one of West Virginia's finest spoken-word poets, Kirk Judd. Mix in artistic photographs and a CD where Judd brings his words to life along with some amazing acoustic musicians who enhance each poem and even dance to one, and you have a powerful chemistry. If West Virginia could have two Poet Laureates at a time, Judd would be a contender. Warning: Don't listen to this CD alone in the car the first time like I did. You might lose ...more
Scott Emerson
Scott Emerson rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Wvfogies
Wvfogies rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Amber Decker
Amber Decker rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Ace Boggess
Ace Boggess rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Ellyddan
Ellyddan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014