The Trouble with Tuck

The Trouble with Tuck

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Available for the first time in a Yearling edition, the classic, inspiring story of a dog who triumphs against all odds, by the bestselling author of "The Cay."
Helen adored her beautiful golden Labrador from the first moment he was placed in her arms, a squirming fat sausage of creamy yellow fur. As her best friend, Friar Tuck waited daily for Helen to come home from scho...more
Published May 9th 2000 by Yearling Books (first published 1981)

Kelly
This was my FAVORITE book when I was young. I must've read it a hundred times, and I still have my original copy. It's about a girl and her dog, and their love for one another. I flipped through it recently, and it's not written in simple "kid's language". Adult dog lovers will be sure to love it, too!!
Lyn Belzer-Tonnessen
Nov 15, 2012 Lyn Belzer-Tonnessen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids aged 9 to 12
Recommended to Lyn by: my fifth grade teacher
Shelves: children-s
I ADORED this book as a kid. Helen's determination, not to mention the caring support she gets from the adults in her life, made this a book I read and reread until the book was in tatters. I would love to find a copy for my daughter when she's old enough.
Erin
Trouble with Tuck is a good book. It is a book about a dog that is turning blind. They talk about getting Tuck put down. But the girl does not want to and gets very sad. In a couple of weeks she does not ask her parents and calls a place with helping dogs. When they got there they could not get a helping dog. Awhile later, the person they asked, told them to come back and they got a dog.
By;
Aryn
Helen is not a confident girl. She’s not a pretty girl either. Her knobby knees and puggy nose are the torment of her life and have kept her locked in a state of insecurity and non-assertiveness. That is, until Tuck came.

When her father first brought Tuck home, he was a wriggling ball of Labrador cuteness. Now, he is a massive, solid, and courageous dog who loves Helen to death. She loves him with an equal ferocity, and is grateful to him for his friendship, which has finally helped her past her...more
Wayne S.
It is 1956, and thirteen-year-old Helen Ogden, who has thick glasses, braces, and frizzy hair, lives at 911 W. Cheltenham Dr., in the aging Montclair Park section of Los Angeles, CA, with her father, an engineer; mother, a teacher; two older brothers, Stan and Luke; and golden Labrador retriever named Friar Tuck Golden Boy, or just Tuck for short. In the three years that Helen has had Tuck, he has saved her life twice, once from an attacker while walking the dog in a fog-shrouded park and the ot...more
Dannyd
I think the trouble with Tuck is a great book. And that I would recomend it to people . The book The Trouble with Tuck is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...more
Gale
SEEING-EYE GIRL SEEING WITH HER HEART!

In this touching story 13-year-old Helen dedicates months of frustation and hope to resolve a canine crisis: her beloved 3-year-old lab, Friar Tuck, is going blind. As the various "solutions" proposed by caring and intelligent adults all prove unacceptable to this desperate young lady, she quietly decides to defy the System. Her goal: to keep her loyal companion alive, at home and free-roaming.

Based on an actual incident in California this story reaches ac...more
Corinne
Story of a girl who teaches her beloved dog, who has recently become blind, how to walk alongside a seeing eye dog. Set in the 1950's, very dated language, big focus on the awkward tween girl gaining confidence/believing she is beautiful after training her dog.
Stephanie
I read this book as a child multiple times and considered it one of my favorites. I love the beautiful depiction of love and loyalty between an owner (little girl, which I identified with at the time) and her dog. Very beautiful, moving story.
Stephanie
This is a touching story of a girl whose beloved Labrador, Tuck, looses his sight. Helen refuses to give up and impose a life tethered by a chain on her dog. She finds a school for seeing eye dogs, and makes an appointment for her parents. They indulge her and take her to meet a lady at the school. This woman is so touched by Tuck and his family she eventually gives a dog to them to try as a guide for Tuck. After endless practice, creativity, and patience, Helen achieves her goal, and Tuck can...more
Emily
This is a good book. I was torn between two and three stars, but the two star attributes are things I can see past. The book was written in the early '80s and takes place in the '50s. Thus, the subtle sexism and Beaver Cleaver vibe make sense. The family is also fanatical about this dog, but then again, he's a purebred they paid money for and they're a well off family living in California. Taylor's descriptions of the dog and a few lines of wisdom are priceless and make this a great read for you...more
Kathleen
One of my childhood favorites!!!!
Denni
This is a fast read and gave me a couple ideas for working with blind dogs. I didn't want the story to end, but found the sequel not as good.
Jennifer Priester
A very good story about a blind dog that gets a guide dog of his own. This was actually the first book I ever read about either a blind dog or a guide dog so at the time I read this book, it was especially interesting for me. This book focuses on the challenge of a blind dog as well as how the dog adapts to having a guide dog. This book is perfect for dog lovers of all ages.
Jones
This is an older book and the cover is really out-dated, but it was great!! I'm not sure if I could even find a copy of the book- I read it as an e-book from the library. It's worth finding it, especially if you are an animal lover! Tuck, the adorable dog on the cover, ends up going blind. This is the story of how the dog's family (his owners) deal with it.
Shashank
An emotional journey of a pet and it's owner. Makes you cry. Makes you happy. It gives you the amazing feel of the bondage between the owner and the dog. You are to read it if you are a pet lover and you have to read it if you are not, because I promise you will become a pet liver after reading the book.
Ismelina
Best things in my childhood were reading, riding my bike, eating fishballs, Barbie dolls, and having a dog. I got to read this book as a child, and to this day, I would still remember it. It's very, very touching. It has the elements that make a great story and gives a valuable lesson too.
Dana

This book was on my list for our Battle of the Books competition. I don't usually like stories about dogs. But this was more about a girl never giving up and gaining confidence. For me, it was a quick read. It could be a great read for some of my struggling 5th graders.
Nat
Jun 03, 2009 Nat added it
it was so bad i hated it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomuch i NEVERRRRRRRRRR want 2 read it again
Aubrey Scott
Jul 10, 2013 Aubrey Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog lovers
The very first book that piqued my interest in Guide Dogs, a career field I now plan on going into. This book is, yes, suited for upper elementary school, but still a good read for any age. I loved it and I'm sure once I read it again I will love it more.
Ellie
This book was hard to get in to, but once I started it, I really enjoyed it. What I like best about this book is that one girl halps her dog to "see" by giving him a seeing eye dog. It's a very sad book, although it has its funny moments.
Gll
This book was a great book. I really wanted a dog and i read this book to perswade my parents off getting me a dog, and it worked!!! I am so happy and greatful for a dog. Animal lovers all age will love this book as much as i did!!!
Hailey
Apr 22, 2008 Hailey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
My favorite book since I was eight. This is the true story about an awkward girl and her big yellow dog. Helen fights to save Tuck from a life on a chain after he goes blind, and finds a remarkable way to save him---a seeing eye dog.
Joan
It's a really sad book cause her dog was everything to her and then he got blind but he never dies I read the book and i felt like I wanted to cry hopefully you guys can read it :)
Zarakoda
This was a cute book that I read in a single evening. It is about a dog that triumphs against the losing of its sight, a great animal novel, despite it being fairly short.
stacey
Unnecessarily sad. It makes me wonder: is it more valuable to triumph over tough odds, or is it better not to have anything to triumph over?
Christina/Sweetleaf
Oh man, did I love this book when I was a kid! Again, another one my 5th-grade teacher introduced me to. Heart-breaking for an animal lover...
Trace
Luke's review:
I like this book. It was a story about a blind dog named Tuck. And the girls that owns Tuck has a brother named Luke!
Kristie Stauffer
I thought this was a great story of a girl's love and her determination to help her dog. -- and I don't generally go for animal stories.
Erin
This was one of my favorite books from my youth. It is about a girl and her dog and their adventures. He also goes blind.
  • Boy of the Painted Cave
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • The Kite Fighters
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Beauty
  • The Race (Golden Filly, #1)
  • Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Light a Single Candle
  • I, Houdini
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1)
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • Martin's Mice
  • Save the White Whale!
The Cay (The Cay, #1) Timothy of the Cay (The Cay, #2) The Weirdo (Paperback) The Bomb Ice Drift