Blank-133x176
Drop It, Rocket!

Tad Hills

Drop It, Rocket!

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Rocket, the beloved dog from the New York Times bestselling picture books How Rocket Learned to Read and Rocket Writes a Story, is back in a leveled reader. Rocket is ready to find new words for his word tree with his teacher, the little yellow bird. He finds a leaf, a hat, and a star . . . but when he finds a red boot, he doesn’t want to let go. What will make Rocket drop...more
Published July 8th 2014 by Schwartz & Wade

Sara Grochowski
A charming little story from Tad Hills about a dog named Rocket who loves words... and a bright red boot. Rocket is a good dog, so when he finds new things, like a yellow hat, a leaf, and a star, he promptly drops them when requested. But, when he finds the red boot, he refuses to drop it. Though his friends offer him many alternatives, including a ball, a stick, and a sock, the boot remains firmly in his mouth. It seems Rocket will never let go, until Owl wisely offers Rocket the one thing he l...more
Becky
Readers may be familiar with the character of Rocket already. Rocket is the star of several picture books: How Rocket Learned to Read and Rocket Writes a Story.

This story is simple and repetitive. Rocket wants to learn new words and add new words to the word tree. He brings new things--new objects--to his friend the yellow bird. The bird tells him to "drop it" each time. Rocket is usually a good dog, so he obeys. New words are added. But what happens when Rocket does not want to drop it?

I liked...more
Mary
An excellent easy reader for children just beginning to read independently. This would be a good choice for children who still need some adult guidance.

In a clever step on Hills' part, the controlled vocabulary is featured in the illustrations. Each "sight word" is represented on Rocket's "word tree." Each word is illustrated as well, which will help build emerging readers' vocabularies.

A lovely addition to the stories about Rocket, the book-loving dog.
Amanda
Excellent use of repetition- "Drop it, Rocket" -in this book will build the confidence of young readers. Previous familiarity with Rocket and Yellow Bird is not required to enjoy this easy reader, and kids will enjoy recognizing words they know from the story on Rocket and Bird's word tree.
Samantha
A perfect easy reader title! Everybody's favorite reading and writing dog is also a finder. He readily relinquishes most items he finds, but he won't give up a red boot for just about anything it seems. That's when yellow bird makes a trade that finally gets Rocker's attention.

Very simple sentences here with lots of repetition that helps breed confident readers. The text makes sense for a dog character making for a simple story that is very well done because the story isn't sacrificed for the la...more
Read  Ribbet
Rocket the dog from Rocket learns to read and write is back to learn a few words in this easy to read format book by Tad Hills. The words on word tree aligns with the text and are given meaning from the story and illustrations.
Bea Bolinger
I still love Rocket and even though this Step into Reading book wasn't as charming as the first two picture books I still love the little guy.
Angie
To be fair I already loved Rocket and so do my students.

But even if we didn't already know him this would be a fun little book.
Suzze Tiernan
I am always asked for books with few words that can be sight read easily. I think this fits the bill.
Sharie
Rocket is a favorite dog.
Plenty of repetitive words for word recognition.
Christine D
Tad Hills has such cute books for young readers!
Donna
Cute easy reader - love the main character.
Elsa
Adorable.
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Michelle Nero
Michelle Nero marked it as to-read
Colby Sharp
Colby Sharp marked it as to-read
Wendy Garland
Wendy Garland marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kate Rice
Kate Rice marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Meghan Nels
Meghan Nels marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
“Whenever I picture myself [as a child],” says Tad Hills, “I am doing art. I spent a lot of time on my own making things, drawing, and painting.” Hills was not consciously trying to become an artist, rather his motives were innocent and pure. “I liked making things,” he says.

As a graduate of Skidmore College in New York with a degree in art, Hills describes himself as the ultimate freelancer. He’s...more
More about Tad Hills...
How Rocket Learned to Read Rocket Writes a Story Duck & Goose Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin Duck, Duck, Goose