Start by marking “Murder in LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder in LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)

Murder in LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar #2)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  4,863 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
In Midkemia, there are no easy roads . . .

Published June 24th 2008 by Harper Voyager (first published December 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in LaMut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in LaMut

Scott
Sep 28, 2015 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Sorry to say that this book was a slog.

It's essentially a murder/mystery centered around three mercenaries. Problem is - the murder doesn't happen until 80 pages from the end. Then there is about 30 pages looking into the murder and then the wrap up. The first 250 pages (book is only 325 pages) is the setup and even that was mind numbing in it's boredom.

I have this categorized under fantasy but it's really just a book about soldiers and nobles. Could be set in europe in the middle ages and be th
Kaila
Jan 07, 2012 Kaila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
I fell in love with the world of Midkemia in Magician: Apprentice, and Magician: Master really solidified it for me. Feist’s world is incredibly fleshed out and a pleasure to escape into. I am following the reading order recommended by a fellow blogger for this series, which is not the order they were published in, but rather chronological. It was a hard decision to make! But I can’t help it, I like reading things in the order they happen. Having started with the four books of the Riftwar Saga, ...more
Jsrott
Mar 29, 2015 Jsrott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. If the title of your book is "Murder in La Mut" you expect the murder to take place before the twelfth chapter of a sixteen chapter book. I've read a lot of Feist's Midkemia novels recently so I'd like to think I'm familiar with the world he created, but I found the story to be often times confusing and somehwat lacking in interesting scenes. The characters spent a lot of time brooding and sulking, which doesn't make for a stimulating read. The solution to the murder was also ...more
Becci
Dec 10, 2010 Becci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three mercenaries take an easy winter job guarding a local noble... a simple job that turns into a murder investigation in the middle of a warzone...
Zoe
not the best.
Steve Howarth
It is a decent standalone read and while the plot lacks the weight of the earlier book the characters are well written with a good secondary cast.

It feels like an RPG padded into a book and while readable and likeable the first quarter could do with being less of a plod.
Nina Schmitt
Sep 14, 2012 Nina Schmitt rated it liked it

In Midkemia, there are no easy roads . . .

When ordered to accompany the promiscuous Lady Mondegreen, her aging husband, and her current lover to a summit

Samuel Tyler
A genre mash-up is not an easy thing to pull off, but a murder mystery set in a fantasy world sounds like it should work and it does. However, whilst ‘Murder in Lamut’ by Raymond E Feist and Joel Rosenberg proves that crime fiction works in a fantasy setting, it also shows that bad crime fiction is bad anywhere. ‘Lamut’ tells the story of three mercenaries who become embroiled in local politics and murder. As the only neutral people around, they are given the task of investigating a gruesome cas ...more
Steve Haywood
Durine, Kethol and Pirojil are a mercenary trio, who are holed up in Lamut for the winter. They ve been assigned to what they think is a cushy job, protecting a local Baron. Unfortunately, things are never that simple, and they fail to realise just how murky Lamutian politics can get& [return][return]This book is a very enjoyable read. Part of that is down to the familiar setting of Feist s Kingdom of Isles, part of it is the writing style, which is easy to read and relaxing. The plot takes ...more
C.S. Woolley
May 03, 2013 C.S. Woolley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read, fantasy
I was really impressed by this book. I know that Feist does collaboration stories really well having read some of his other works, but this one was different to the others he has done. Focusing on three characters from a different book series that have been transported in Midkemmia was a fascinating idea. The characters were really well written and the three protagonists fitted really well in Feist's world. Seeing some of the politics that went on during the Riftwar away from Crydee and Krondor ...more
Jeff Cothern
SUMMARY:
In Midkemia, there are no easy roads . . . For twenty years the mercenaries Durine, Kethol, and Pirojil have fought other people's battles. Having already defeated the Tsurani, the Bugs, and the goblins, it seems there are no more enemies for them to vanquish—even as the Riftwar rages on in the west. What lies ahead for the able trio are a few welcomed months of restful garrison duty. When ordered to accompany the promiscuous Lady Mondegreen, her aging husband, and her current lover to a
Joel
Sep 12, 2016 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid entry in the Riftwar saga with a great addition of Rosenberg's classic trio of mercenaries. If you're not familiar with Pirojil, Kethol and Durine then I heartily recommend checking out the Guardians of the Flame series, particularly the "Not Quite..." volumes. There's also a cameo by Kami Khazud from Rosenberg's D'Shai novels hidden in the book, which is a nice Easter egg for long-time fans.

The only thing holding me back from giving this a 5-star review is the resolution to the actual m
Jimmy
May 20, 2014 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Barnes & Noble.com
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
This is another stand alone novel in Midkemia. This is more vulgar than what I am use to reading from Feist, but it did seem to fit the mercenaries. Durine, Kethol and Pirojil are a hilarious trio, who are told to protect the Baron Morray.
Their time is really very uneventful except for a small ambush of Tsurani. Quickly, they are trapped in the politics of the Barons, and are made temporary Captains in order to perform they're jobs.
Waiting for the murder in Murder In LaMut, at the end of the n
David
This book is in a style that's very much different from the other Riftwar-related books. It's mostly a murder mystery dealing with nobles set in a fantasy world (although this isn't obvious until close to the end). This is probably not everyone's cup of tea if their expect lots of action and an epic tale. The story is about three mercenaries looking to earn a more peaceful living by taking up garrison duty - little did they know it'd be anything but peaceful. The tale is not meant to dive furthe ...more
Matt
Nov 22, 2009 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
This book was a lot of waiting for things to happen with a lot of rather boring stuff in between. The murder that is spoken of in the title doesn't even happen until less than 100 pages from the end of the book. The three mercenaries were entertaining and seeing events unfold through their eyes made for fantasy story the likes of which I have not seen before. The usual exciting fast pace story with bits of the nuts and bolts necessary for a story to work that I have come to expect from Feist was ...more
Jimmy
May 20, 2014 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for the murder in Murder In LaMut, at the end of the n
Tyler
Jun 20, 2015 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: raymond-e-feist
Although I'm a big fan of Raymond E Feist's writing, I did not find this book very enjoyable. While I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the setting of Midkemia, there were many confusing names and the court dialogue was difficult to follow. In addition, most of the book was rising action without clear action scenes that become only more confusing when you have to follow the three viewpoints of the mercenary group. While a few humorous and intriguing scenes are present, they are few, and I ...more
Phil Jones
Jun 19, 2013 Phil Jones rated it liked it
Of all the books by Raymond Feist I've read this was the slowest to develope into a decent story.
It just seemed an age before anything happened and then it all came together very quickly at the end.

It was interesting enough to see to the end but all his other books I've read are far superior to this one.

If it his the first of his you have read, please try another....any other as they are all far better than this.
Eeepi
May 21, 2011 Eeepi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting concept - first three quarters of the book is mostly based on character and atmosphere depiction, then something suddenly happens and the rest of the book turns into a detective story with not really satisfactory conclusion. I can't deny it's pretty well written, but the storyline is rather shallow and the pace is very random to say at least. I'd say this is a book for one reading session only - at least I can't picture myself to return to it now when I know how it ends.
Tracy Renee Wolfe
I thought this was the worst book of the series, by far! I knew that it wasn't part of the main storyline, but the previous one (Honoured Enemy) still kept my interest. I kept getting the 3 mercenaries mixed up, had difficulty keeping up with the other characters, and simply didn't care about them. It only sparked my interest when there actually was a murder in LaMut, which unfortunately didn't occur until the book was nearly over.
Neil
Oct 26, 2007 Neil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Raymond Feist's books, but this one failed to grab me. One thing that I love about Feist's books is the character development. This book was so short and had so many characters that you never got to to get to know them. This would have been a decent sequel had the three main characters been introduced in a previous book.
Cottageunderhill
Eh. I was kinda bored throughout the book with the incessant politics going on in LaMut. The murder didn't even take place until the end and by then, I was kind of like who gives a shit. Plus, I was hoping for the twist on the who-dun-it but wasn't really surprised at all. It felt very trite. I hope the next book is better, I really do.
Ben
Mar 14, 2008 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing spectacular, but this was an enjoyable story with just enough mystery elements to keep it from being more than just a straight-ahead side-story. With each book, the world of Midkemia grows a little clearer for me--and this book in particular reminded my why I like to visit every now and then.
Lee Nevo
I really prefer the type of ongoing machinations that are evident in the Empire series as well as the Roo Avery story then the classic whodunit that this book concludes with. And again as the rest of the Legends series, with no real tie ins to any of the main storyline, makes this story completely optional.
Jane
Oct 30, 2014 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at the tone of this book as it read more as a mystery than a fantasy. But I still enjoyed it as much as any of Feist's tales. The characters were interwoven well and the plot was well written.
Steven Fagan
Not Feist's best outing. Actually it felt cumbersome. I can't see that this adds in any way to the overall series, or that there is more than a tangential connection. The most disappointing book with Feist's name on it. I won't go seeking Joel Rosenberg books to read.
Kimalita Lane
2.5 stars. A slow book filled with wonderfully authentic characters. The world and characters are well developed however I rated this low as nothing really happened until the last quarter of the book.
Lbd
Sep 15, 2009 Lbd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
book 2 of the legends of the riftwar. Not quite sure what I had expected. It isn't a continuation of Honored Enemy, as I had expected, but the characters were fun to read, and the ending certainly wasn't what I had expected.
John Hutton
This book was a complete change from the other Riftwar books I've read. They murder mystery was compelling to keep reading. The characters were new and a cross over from the other authors books. It would've made a good Matlock episode.
Maria
May 03, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing compared to other Feist stories. Characters aren't as well-developed and engaging, storyline is forgettable. Borrows elements of the Feist universe but essentially a mediocre detective story.
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master: The Great One
  • The Silver Mage (Deverry, #15; The Dragon Mage, #7)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Crystal Gorge (The Dreamers, #3)
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • The Cosmic Logos (Celestial Triad, #3)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • Not Quite Scaramouche (Guardians of the Flame, #9)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...

Legends of the Riftwar (3 books)
  • Honored Enemy (Legends of the Riftwar, #1)
  • Jimmy the Hand (Legends of the Riftwar, #3)