Start by marking “The Crass Menagerie: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury” as Want to Read:
The Crass Menagerie: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury

The Crass Menagerie: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury (Pearls Before Swine #5-6)

4.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  526 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Pearls is the hottest comic in the newspaper business these days." -Raleigh News and Observer

Named Best Comic Strip of the Year by the National Cartoonists Society in 2004 and 2007, Pearls Before Swine is regarded by fans and critics alike as a thoughtful commentary on humanity's pitiable plight.

More About The Crass Menagerie

Stephan Pastis sketches this nuanced comic strip
Published April 1st 2008 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Crass Menagerie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crass Menagerie

Ash
Jul 26, 2010 Ash rated it liked it
Guard Duck is so precious it hurts! With the jail uniform and the little ball & chain, I love him!
Oinkin
Oct 22, 2010 Oinkin rated it it was amazing
Just about the best darn Cartoonist out there - and he's out there..
Jamie
Aug 12, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the best comic strip ever invented
Carolyn
Dec 27, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I have Pearls Before Swine problem.
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 Beth Cato rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in, 2009, humor, comics
I needed a light read after reading several serious books, and this fit my needs nicely. This is a new treasury of Pearls Before Swine, an irreverent daily comic I began following a few years back. It is known for idiotic crocodiles who want to eat their zebra neighbor (Helllooooo Zeeba!), egotistical Rat, pitiful yet endearing Pig, and a host of other amusing animal characters. Puns abound, and many are so awful that the character comment on the poor writing quality of their own strip.[return][ ...more
Holly
Jul 01, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to Pearls Before Swine when I was forced to read the newspaper on a daily basis in a high school Government & Economics course. It quickly became a habit for me to skip directly to the comics section, and there I fell in love with this strip. I am still not a newspaper reader, but a friend recently gave me The Crass Menagerie as a gift, and I couldn't put it down. Something about Pastis's characters strongly appeals to my sense of humor. Rat is everything you would hat ...more
Gphatty
Jun 02, 2008 Gphatty rated it really liked it
Two things: I love this strip. Much of the time, it hits a sweet spot for me, somewhere between sophmoric humor and truly absurdist. This collection contains the strips and sequences that got me hooked in the first place -- the crocodiles moving next door to their "neiba" (and intended prey), Zeeba; the killer whale strips; the introduction of guard duck. Lots of cartoon violence, and so many, many bad puns.

I highly recommend this collection, as it is annotated by the author, with comments and c
Jojo
Jul 13, 2008 Jojo rated it it was amazing
Hellooooo zeeba neighba. Leesten: I haven't really followed the comics since the mid-90s, when I stopped getting the daily paper delivered to my house. Lately I have fallen back into my comic strip obsession, and thanks to the wonders of technology I have been able to catch up with my old favorites and discover some new ones. Pearls Before Swine is by far the funniest thing on the comics page. Hilarious, sometimes harsh, sometimes almost heartwarming, and sometimes just ridiculous, but pretty m ...more
Bunny
May 07, 2015 Bunny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-15
Hullo, zeeba neighba.

I love Pearls Before Swine. While reading, I would walk up to my roommate, point to whichever strip on the page had made me cackle, wait for his laugh, then walk away.
MsBrie
Aug 02, 2012 MsBrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, local-library
This collection of a year's worth of Pearls comic strips is sure to engage and amuse. New characters such as guard duck, whale, and the vikings, are introduced. Rarely has a collection of strips so consistently hilarious, been compiled. Added to this particular collection are the occasional Pastis 'insights' written below select strips. Insights include info on what words are not allowed in comic strips, others about what topics are taboo, and finally some insights simply reveal additional info ...more
LINCCReviews
Jun 26, 2015 LINCCReviews rated it it was amazing
pearls before swine is the best comic strip ever. If you haven't, you should. (hajile)
Emily
Aug 18, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of Pearls Before Swine. I always enjoy the characters and story lines Stephen Pastis writes about. This book was different in that the author actually wrote commentary beneath most of the strips. Some of it was interesting, but some of it fell really flat.

I especially enjoyed the last section, in which the author printed comics that were not deemed appropriate for the newspaper, or comics that the author deemed 'lame'.

A must read for any 'Pearls Before Swine' fa
Meeester-Haseeb
Oct 31, 2011 Meeester-Haseeb rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
this book isn't one big story its a comic book with a bunch of comic strips in it. I really liked this book because it was really funny aspesialy the crocs they were halaryas.there allways trying to eat there zebra naber. and they have a funny acsent like this when there saying hello to the zebra "hullooo zeba neba".and these two other carachters rat and pig they live in the same house and about a third of the book is about there crazy conversations.
Eric Bauman
Feb 19, 2014 Eric Bauman rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
The insanity continues.
Amanda
Aug 19, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I admit it: I love this comic strip. It all started a few years ago with the lines, "Bob popped like a grape and died. Don't taunt the monkeys." I'm laughing even now. I just stopped reading all my other books to read this...and I was on the airplane laughing out loud. His jokes are right up my alley, and his commentaries added to the strips are often more funny than the strips themselves...and that's saying a lot. LOVE it.
Duane
Dec 16, 2009 Duane rated it liked it
Another great collection by a great author/artist. Pastis' humor is both juvenile yet real so adults can relate to their childhood and their everyday struggles. A great bonus is in the back are a collection of strips that couldn't be used in newspapers for their "controversial" content.
angrykitty
Apr 06, 2008 angrykitty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, kids-teens, 2008
just got the new pearls book. this guy thinks just like i do. it's almost eerie.

still great.....i love the crocs....and angry bob is so a character that i would relate to....even if he's really not a character of the strip, but a character of rat.....
Ayne Ray
Nov 30, 2010 Ayne Ray rated it it was amazing
This comic strip is absolutely hilarious and definitely the most biting currently in publication; I put it on the same level as "Calvin and Hobbes," "The Far Side," and "Bloom County" in overall quality. Yes, it's just that good.
Polly
Sep 09, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it
These are all fine cartoons, but unfortunately for me, I own the collections these are gathered from, so I'm quite familiar with all of them. The commentary and the un-revised strips at the back are fun, though!
Beth
Sep 02, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
I love this comic strip, I especially love listening to my seven year old daughter say "Helloooo zeeba neighba" when she is reading them out loud to me. This book has added commentary also which makes it even better.
Jack23
Nov 08, 2010 Jack23 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-term-reading
It's a SUPER funny book with lots of smart comedy and cool drawings. It's one of my favourite comic books ever. All the characters are different but they also relate to each other at the same time.
Nikii
May 06, 2008 Nikii rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: humorous cynics
Shelves: humor
The most delightfully subversive comic in syndication today does not falter in this, its third treasury. Far from it! Pearls just keeps getting better as time goes by.
LauraW
Feb 26, 2011 LauraW rated it really liked it
Perhaps because these are no longer completely new to me, I liked this one, but wasn't completely wowed. My favorite parts are still the annotations of the cartoons.
Brian
May 06, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cartoons
I honestly think I have more laugh-out-loud moments with Pearls Before Swine than I ever did back in the days of Calvin & Hobbes. A must read!!!
El Neo
Nov 06, 2014 El Neo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
My favourite strip in the paper today. The strip I always look for first in the funnies. Pastis is a sick mind! That's why I like him!!!!!!
Justus
Apr 07, 2012 Justus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Awesome! He's really rounding into the form that he has today. Love the books, its great to see his work develop.
Michelle
Apr 08, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
love his stuff his puns and also his explanations and notes add another level of funny
Kali
Nov 05, 2008 Kali rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best comic strips I've ever read. I love it.
Cory
Sep 29, 2009 Cory rated it it was amazing
Pearls Before Swine is my new obsession. Because I need a new obsession.
Julia
Aug 18, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
This one has the "Baby Blues" crossover series... which is a must-read.
  • FoxTrot Beyond a Doubt
  • The Potpourrific Great Big Grab Bag of Get Fuzzy
  • Bring Me the Head of Willy the Mailboy!
  • Too Much Information (Unshelved, #9)
  • If I'm a Stay-At-Home Mom, Why Am I Always in the Car?: Baby Blues Scrapbook No. 11
20322
Stephan Pastis was born in 1968 and raised in San Marino, California, a suburb of Los Angeles. He graduated from the University of California at Berkeley in 1989 with a degree in political science. Although he had always wanted to be a syndicated cartoonist, Pastis realized that the odds of syndication were slim, so he entered UCLA Law School in 1990 and became an attorney instead. He practiced la ...more
More about Stephan Pastis...

Pearls Before Swine (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Pearls Before Swine: BLTs Taste So Darn Good