Start by marking “Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be” as Want to Read:
Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be

Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,828 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Bestselling author and one of the world’s foremost executive coaches, Marshall Goldsmith examines the emotional and psychological triggers that cause us to react and behave in certain preset, often inappropriate ways at work and in life. Triggers shows us how to break that cycle and enact meaningful change.

In Triggers, renown executive coach and psychologist Marshall Golds

Published May 19th 2015 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about Triggers, please sign up.

Dennis Fischman
Marshall Goldsmith suggests that each day, we ask ourselves six questions:

1. Did I do my best to set clear goals today?
2. Did I do my best to make progress toward my goals today?
3. Did I do my best to find meaning today?
4. Did I do my best to be happy today?
5. Did I do my best to build positive relationships today?
6. Did I do my best to be fully engaged today?

The rest of the book discusses what it means to do these six things, why it's so hard to keep focused on them, why it's important anyway,
Yodamom
Dec 02, 2015 Yodamom rated it it was amazing
4.5Very interesting look at what triggers us to act or react certain ways. I breezed through not taking time to practice the techniques and I still grasped some of the loops the author presented. Many of the stories do involve corporate persons but they are easily transferred to any person from corporate to home. I enjoyed the stories, the easy to follow steps and the tempo of the book. This is one I will re-read several times
Ron Mcintyre
Jun 01, 2015 Ron Mcintyre rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
While there are no innovative thoughts, it does contain a wealth of practical, actionable steps that people can use to change and grow. I will be adapting some of his logic with my clients because they are down to earth and focused. Developing into leaders that help shape the 21st century is no easy task and we can use all the help that people can provide. This book provides some excellent tidbits.

The best takeaway for me was: "When we dive all the way into adult behavioral change-with 100% foc
Helen Wilfehrt
Jun 10, 2015 Helen Wilfehrt rated it it was amazing
I finished this book faster than any other I've started reading recently. The writing is straight forward and easy to read. The topic may be a "doh" to some but to those of us used to living in our heads, either intellectually or emotionally, or both, there is a certain "aha" sensation that can be derived from the author's teachings. I found his perspective and manner of putting things to be quite helpful me as I navigate my life.
Ryan
Jul 04, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
Nothing substantive here beyond basic will power. Some people just don't have it.. and need coached? Seems like it's really bent towards naive, well-to-do, spoiled-rotten exec types. Not geared towards anyone who has ever had to make an ounce of budget decisions in regards to food or housing.
Kathleen
Aug 20, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Yes, this book has "executives" as its focus.

No, it doesn't matter.

Marshall Goldsmith, a management consultant, explains how to develop and maintain good habits -- and it's all about certain kinds of mindfulness and structure.
Catherine Read
Aug 18, 2015 Catherine Read rated it it was amazing
I'm a Marshall Goldmsith fan. I loved his book "What Got You Here, Won't Get You There" and have recommended it to many people. This book is useful only if you are focused on wanting to get more out of your life. It's one of those instances where the student needs to be ready in order for the teacher to appear. Those who read it with no intention of actually changing anything about how they think or structure their days will quite likely miss the point of this book. While Goldsmith is indeed a ...more
Jennifer Ridgway
This review originally appeared on Everyday eBook

Become a Better You: Triggers by Marshall Goldsmith

Change is hard. Change is even harder when you are trying to modify your behavior. Habits have become a popular subject in books; it seems as though we are always trying to find the easy way to change them, whether it is quitting smoking, starting a new exercise program, or becoming a more active, positive contributor during our work meetings. Marshall Goldsmith's latest book, Triggers: Creating B
Nicki
Nov 10, 2015 Nicki rated it it was amazing
I typically read books like this via audiobook so it was interesting to read one in the normal way for once. Although it was a bit self-helpy I really enjoyed Goldsmith, especially his anecdotes about working with various CEOs and power players over the years. What I found unique about this book, as opposed to others in the field, was that Goldsmith works with successful people who are used to their habits and behaviors generally resulting in meeting their goals. So, the advice was tailored to ...more
Sherry Lee
Sep 18, 2015 Sherry Lee rated it did not like it
Blah. No. Just no. I couldn't get into this book so I quickly gave up on it despite an intriguing book jacket summary that wooed me to explore how if you can identify "situational triggers" you can change your behavior. That's a good premise. The author Marshall Goldsmith has years of experience as an executive coach, so I don't doubt his idea. But he has a certain style--a certain je nais se quoi about him that is off putting. I don't want to waste my time forcing myself to read this book as a ...more
Robin
Nov 07, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
Really interesting and useful. Written in an engaging and easy style - Goldsmith asks the reader to consider who and how he or she wants to be in the world, and shares the strategies he has used with corporate clients to help them reach their goals. (First, how amazing would it be to work for a company that was willing to pay someone to help you with this?)

Things I want to remember:

Did you do your best to be happy?
Did you do your best to find meaning?
Did you do your best to build positive relati
Martin Baggs
Aug 08, 2015 Martin Baggs rated it it was amazing
What is the most difficult thing for adults to accomplish? According to the author, it is making behavioral change. In his research, he asks the question, “What’s the biggest behavioral change you’ve ever made?” That’s a great question. How would we answer that? Indeed, have we ever made any significant behavioral change as an adult? This engaging book tackles this topic and the business-trendy issue of employee engagement.

When it comes to change, Goldsmith argues we face two problems: ignorance
Debra
Jul 29, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it
This book adds to the call for self-awareness--something that a large number of people still don’t have, which surprises those who do. Nevertheless, even those with such meta-awareness could use reminders, and at times must find new ways to reword concepts to keep them fresh in their minds. Goldsmith’s book does in fact achieve this goal. It’s easy to go from place to place--your home to the highway to your job, then back again with other stops along the way--and lose track of how your thoughts ...more
Ryan Dejonghe
Sep 14, 2015 Ryan Dejonghe rated it it was amazing
TRIGGERS is one of the most important books of 2015 for both business and personal betterment, namely in enacting adult behavioral change. As author Marshall Goldsmith writes, “Fate is the hand of cards we’ve been dealt. Choice is how we play the hand.” This book helps us to overcome many of the obstacles we may already know about and then lets us triumph with lasting change by making effective choices.

“I’d go so far as to say that adult behavioral change is the most difficult thing for sentient
Sep 29, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Some great insights, but too many long boring stories.
Mandy
Aug 20, 2016 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I've had a string of 5 star reviews lately, but it would be impossible to rate this book anything else after its effect on me. Especially since I picked it up expecting to read a book about emotional triggers, from the "trigger warning" variety.

I think the moment he really got through to me was when he began to talk about the level of engagement people put into things even so simple as reading self help books. I remember really enjoying the 7 Habits book, but skipped all the homework and things
Jim Dooley
Jul 05, 2016 Jim Dooley rated it really liked it
Although I know that I benefit from them tremendously, the self-help books are a genre that I usually avoid. However, I've been struggling with a personal goal for some time and the book's subtitle drew me in: "Creating behavior that lasts ... Becoming the person you want to be."

The good news is that there are highly usable templates that, if used with thought and self-reflection, will deliver the subtitle's promise. Standouts among them are the six Engaging Questions, the Daily Questions, the H
Charmin
Jul 23, 2016 Charmin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. Good things happen when we ask ourselves what we need to create, preserve, eliminate, and accept – a test I suspect few of us ever self-administer. *Discovering what really matters is a gift, not a burden*. Accept it and see.

2. 1-to-1 Meeting Questions: Where are we going? Where are you going? What is going well? Where can we improve? How can I help you? How can you help me?

3. When we have structure, we don’t have to make as many choices; we just follow the plan. And the net resul
Scott Stevens
Oct 20, 2015 Scott Stevens rated it it was amazing
Well written book that walks you through adult behavioral change in a very easy to understand, digestible way.

The book is sure to hit home with its readers as it covers the gamut of triggers and behaviors we are all prone too.

I really enjoyed the system set up in the book of Daily Questions. In an easy to apply set up, you simply list you engagement, change wheel, and family questions you decide for yourself, then have a "coach" follow up with you nightly.

The author does a really nice job of wal
Susan
Mar 25, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books-read
I bought this book because I liked the cover and I also have enjoyed Marshall Goldsmith's thinking on leadership. I started reading it and the book just didn't light a spark for me so I put it down.

I picked the book up again recently and it really resonated with me. I think it's a case of right book at the right time. There are some huge things happening in my work and home lives right now that I cannot control. This book has given me some strategies for dealing with that situation. This book t
Amy Jones
Jul 13, 2015 Amy Jones rated it it was ok
Ostensibly a book for anyone hoping to achieve lasting change, I suspect that it would prove far more enjoyable to current (or aspiring) CEOs. Goldsmith cannot help but address his typical audience- businessmen- and it reads very much as a "how to succeed in business" guidebook. While he occasionally mentions other types of changes (in passing, almost as an after-thought) the book is saturated with examples form his business clientele. Is there some good advice? Certainly. Nevertheless, the ...more
Abdulhamid AlAttar
kind of books that you feel sad when you about to finish it.
reading The Power of Habit and Thinking Fast and Slow helps you build a deeper understanding. though the idea of the book is simple but how to apply it in your daily life (work or personal) needs work.
people dont change untill they believe they want to change. couldn't help my brain wondering a lot about how to apply the concepts and how to evolve the ideas to match my day to day. week to week and year to year. how to help people around
Sergei_kalinin
Apr 10, 2016 Sergei_kalinin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книга написана по схеме "проблема-решение", причем в качестве проблемы обозначен вопрос: "Почему взрослому человеку так сложно изменить свое поведение?". Авторы изучают внутренние (установки) и внешние (триггеры) барьеры, которые блокируют наши изменения.

После чего предлагают технику ежедневных активных вопросов, которая помогает сдвинуть наше саморазвитие с мертвой точки. Техника не новая и вполне эффективная, но это лишь одна из техник :).

В целом книга - неплохой вариант применения идей и те
Ovi from nugget
May 19, 2016 Ovi from nugget rated it really liked it
The “magic bullet solution” for overcoming uncontrollable triggers

We seldom recognize that self-control is a limited resource.

Trigger Impulse Behavior.

This is usually the cycle for our spontaneous reactions.

There are plenty of facts, events, and circumstances in our lives that powerfully impact how we act and react....more
Marc
Aug 26, 2015 Marc rated it liked it
Some good ideas and tools, but lacked focus and felt forced. My impression was Goldsmith wanted to put out another book but didn't have a way to fit his ideas together. Lots here that isn't exactly relevant to behavior change, he goes off on tangents to fill space, and the end sputters out. While I definitely took away some interesting and potentially helpful information, it read more like someone just wanted to have product for his seminars and workshops (which he freely admits is his passion ...more
Babette
Oct 31, 2015 Babette rated it really liked it
This book includes a lot of information and advice that one may be tempted to brush off because it's simple common sense, but even for the most successful person, it's potentially life-changing. Goldsmith is an executive coach, and you don't have to be an executive to derive value from the six questions to kickstart change. I plan to refer to this book frequently, especially when it feels like I'm not using my time and energy to accomplish my personal and professional goals.
Hayden
Jun 20, 2016 Hayden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Oh I loved this book. This is one of the better self-improvement books I've read this year. The books starts out setting the scene by highlighting that there is always something we would like to tweak or improve, it might not be big but there is always something. Then it goes on to detail how we reinforce behaviour one way or the other. Then it talks about how to interrupt the negative responses and rework them to get the desired outcome. I can't recommend this enough!
Aditia Dwiperdana
May 02, 2016 Aditia Dwiperdana rated it really liked it
- Always ask yourselves, did you do the best you can do in your current activity?
- In the power of habit, Charles Duhigg discusses how to change your habit loop by examining cue-routine-rewards, but it is more complicated when other people and their expectation involved
- Know what are the things you can change (mostly it is within yourself), and the things that you cannot change (other people, environment). If you can't change your environment, get out or seek a more positive environment
John Stepper
Dec 22, 2015 John Stepper rated it really liked it
Written in such a simple, humble, accessible way that it makes you want to meet Marshall Goldsmith and have a conversation.

The book is full of simple, practical advice on changing behavior that anyone can readily apply. Though I thought I knew a fair amount about the topic, I picked up several techniques and anecdotes that will help me (and help me help others).
Brian
Sep 07, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Marshall Goldsmith is one of the best out there. That said, there wasn't a lot new or necessarily specific to "triggers" in this book. Solid advice? Check. Relevant and helpful stories? Check. Good reminders about the daily check in? Check. Not quite as good, in my opinion, as his other two more commercial books. Still worth a read, however.
  • The Chaos Imperative: How Chance and Disruption Increase Innovation, Effectiveness, and Success
  • Are You Fully Charged?: The 3 Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, Updated and Expanded
  • The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into Your Life
  • You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-Step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Unstuff Your Life!: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good
  • The Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused -- And Start Standing Up for Yourself
  • The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks Than Others Do in 12 Months
  • Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
  • Performing Under Pressure: The Science of Doing Your Best When It Matters Most
  • How to Build Self-Discipline: Resist Temptations and Reach Your Long-Term Goals
  • The Plateau Effect: Getting from Stuck to Success
  • Yes, And: How Improvisation Reverses "No, But" Thinking and Improves Creativity and Collaboration--Lessons from The Second City
  • The Eureka Factor: Aha Moments, Creative Insight, and the Brain
  • Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • Black Box Thinking: Why Some People Never Learn from Their Mistakes - But Some Do
  • Get A Grip: An Entrepreneurial Fable . . . Your Journey to Get Real, Get Simple, and Get Results

“Fate is the hand of cards we’ve been dealt. Choice is how we play the hand.” 8 likes
“getting mad at people for being who they are makes as much sense as getting mad at a chair for being a chair.” 7 likes