Start by marking “Too Close to Home” as Want to Read:
Too Close to Home

Too Close to Home

Sometimes the truth lies closer than you think. The compelling and heart-rending new novel from the Sunday Times Top Ten bestselling author of Behind Closed Doors.

Jenna and Jack Moore have moved their family to Wales for a fresh start. For vivacious, happy-go-lucky fifteen-year-old Paige the future is full of promise.

But suddenly everything changes. Paige becomes more and
Published December 15th 2015 by Ballantine Books (first published February 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Too Close to Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Close to Home

Heidi The Hippie Librarian
Aug 21, 2016 Heidi The Hippie Librarian rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
Fictionophile
The story of a family whose life seems idyllic… at least at first. Then you begin to notice the cracks in the facade, then the cracks widen to form chasms. Then you fall in.

Set on the beautiful Gower Peninsula in Wales, “Too Close to Home” is the first novel I have ever read by Susan Lewis. If I had to classify it, I would say it was women’s fiction with didactic overtones.

Jenna Moore, suffering from writer’s block, is a published novelist and busy mother of four who has recently moved to Wales
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Random House and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. 4.5 stars

Susan Lewis returns following Never Say Goodbye and No Place to Hide (recommend both), with TOO CLOSE TO HOME --- another emotional highly-charged novel addressing today’s contemporary and critical social issues facing relationships, kids, teens, and families.

Bullying, victims, infidelity, fraud, abuse, and suicide (cyber, physically, and mentally) --crossing into mystery and psychologi
Kristine
Dec 03, 2015 Kristine rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy from Ballantine Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

Susan Lewis is not a new author to me. I have had the privilege of reading some of her other work. Too Close to Home was what I would classify as a sweeping family drama. There were multiple things going on with multiple characters within the family that inevitably created or added to one enormous
ireadnovels.wordpress.com
What I loved about Too Close Home by Susan Lewis is the family of characters that are so easy to believe in and have feeling for. Jenna and Jack move to Wales for a fresh start running their own publishing buisness. But some how the nightmare is only just beginning. I honestly think this one of Susan Lewis best novels that I have read. I am looking forward to Susan's next novel.
Jane
Jan 17, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Another fantastic book by this author she so makes you think about her characters and how you would cope in the same situation.
Karen
May 12, 2016 Karen rated it did not like it
Not what I thought it was about. Was thinking it was a mystery. More of a drama around family and school difficulties. Wasn't a fun book.
Nicole Overmoyer
Oct 20, 2016 Nicole Overmoyer rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Nope. I realize I'm in the majority here but... I just can't finish the book. To finish a book, there's got to be at least one character I'm rooting for and... I found myself rooting against everyone. And that's just no fun. So I quit at 40%. I couldn't help it.

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest & original review.
Nancy
Nov 22, 2015 Nancy rated it it was ok
When I began this book, I did not really care for it. No single character stood out and I found myself scanning the first quarter of it in hopes that something would grab me. I figured if I could keep the names straight that I would eventually get in a rhythm. I continually had the feeling that there was going to be more to the story. What I did not realize was that Susan Lewis was not sure what that more should be. Was it a women’s fiction novel centered on divorce and its daily discoveries or ...more
Christine
Jan 02, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NETGALLEY for the chance to read and give an honest review.
I love books written by Susan Lewis, I enjoy her writing style.
This is true family drama, Jenna and Jack move to Wales to have a new start, things do not go well,
their marriage begins to fall apart. The real drama in this book surrounds Jenna's oldest daughter, Paige, who is experiencing a common problem for teenagers in this day and time. It is heart breaking to see the downward spiral, that happens to her.
Jenna is pretty
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was an advance review copy from www.lovereading.co.uk - thank you to them sending it me - as always an excellent novel from susan lewis, I always enjoy her books. they are perfect holiday books or for when you want to escape into someone elses life for a bit. The details she weaves into the characters and their personalities is perfect.
I always feel part of the family when I read one of her books. you feel included, desperate to find out what is going on and how it will end.
in this one je
Steph Dinning
Jul 08, 2015 Steph Dinning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book with a lot of strong interesting characters.
Rather slow to start and hard to get into at first but the bullying for Paige was quite horrific but at the same time it made good reading. Paige really irritated me at times with her resolution to stay quiet and she wouldn't stand up for herself or fight back and I understand that in reality that isn't always easy to do but Paige is portrayed as a strong character so were was she for most of the story.
Jenna's troubles with her husband were
Anthea
Started off fine but gets progressively draggy as the book goes on.

Blurb did not fulfill the expectation of the plot at all. There weren't any deep dark family secrets. Everything was pretty much spelled out. There wasn't really a plot hole/mystery etc. to keep the readers wanting to get to the end of the book. However, I kept pressing on hoping something interesting/captivating would come up but it didn't.

This was my first book from Susan Lewis and I'd probably wouldn't read another one of her
Linda Hardy
Aug 21, 2015 Linda Hardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
If you want to read about family drama then this book is for you, Jenna suspects her husband is having an affair, after he confirms he is and leaves the family, her world starts falling apart, meanwhile her eldest daughter is being bullied at school which eventually leads her to take drastic action and she goes missing, full of emotion, have a read
Abbey
Nov 03, 2016 Abbey rated it did not like it
Raneem
Oct 20, 2016 Raneem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this story is about the struggle of 2 females in the same family, a mother and a daughter......... the daughter who is only 15 and is bullied real hard at school ....... and the mother who is struggling against her own marital problems................ I slept late for almost a week bcoz i was reading this book and couldnt stop....... I loved the whole story except some part near the end which I found it a little weird ..... Other than that this book is worth finding
Vox
Jun 14, 2016 Vox rated it really liked it
Jenna looks at her rambunctious, high spirited family and feels lucky. She and husband Jack are growing a publishing business together, he as a marketer and she as a writer, in a bucolic Welsh village. Parents to a teenage daughter (Paige is Jack's stepdaughter) and three younger children, the couple has managed to blend business and marriage into a loving partnership.

At least Jenna thinks so.

A year into their move to Wales, though, Jenna finds herself questioning her marriage. Jack seems to dis
Bookphile
Dec 28, 2015 Bookphile rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, arc, 2015
This book was deliciously, appallingly bad, which is what made me read it with something approaching glee. It was soap operatic in its virtuosity, so predictable and overblown and melodramatic that I pretty much ate it up like it was candy for my brain. Two months from now I'll forget this book ever existed. So why the two star rating instead of one? That is due to me tipping my hat because despite its horrible flaws it kept me turning pages (thought I hate this term, I think the words "guilty ...more
Kathy
Dec 15, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Close to Home by Susan Lewis is a rather grim novel about a family who slowly begins to unravel. Difficult subject matter is deftly handled but the pacing is slow and the message is sometimes lost in the tedious details of day to day life.

Jenna Moore is a happily married mother of four. Despite the loss of her husband Jack's job the year prior, they and their children have settled into a rather idyllic life in Wales following their move from London. Just as she and Jack are on the verge of l
Rebecca Lyman
I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest and fair review. This book tells the story of Jenna Moore, her husband Jack, and her four children (from oldest to youngest) Paige, Josh, Wills and Flora (twins). Paige is fifteen now and even though they just moved from London to Wales, she is making lots of new friends at her new school and she is thriving in her new school environment. She is working on a film project for school with the help of her step-father Jack and she was ...more
Kathryn Laceby
May 08, 2016 Kathryn Laceby rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

Susan Lewis completely took me by surprise with Too Close to Home. At first I was just happy to be enjoying the life of this family in their new country- the area and landscape jumped off the pages and I was entranced by the idyll. I was lulled into an apparently false sense of security by the description of their home and their family which was likely the same feeling Jenna had when their lives started to unravel.

The novel was intense, the characters were pe
Peggy
Jan 29, 2016 Peggy rated it really liked it
This is a book about a modern family struggling with modern-day issues. The Moores are a family that has moved to Wales and seems to be living the perfect life. The parents have just started an on-line business for authors (the wife is, herself, an author), the oldest daughter is 15, popular, and into many activities in and out of school. The younger children (3 of them) are typical kids – into sports, video games, etc.
Then everything begins to fall apart. Paige (the 15 year old) discovers her
The Advocate
International writer Susan Lewis, of Gloucestershire, United Kingdom, has done it again. To her credit, she has written 33 novels. This one is a winner as well.
“Too Close to Home,” Lewis’ latest, is riveting, spellbinding and highly entertaining. Who says family dramas can’t be exciting?
The book opens with Jenna Moore, the main character, thinking about her 15-year-old daughter Paige and her husband Jack out doing a school project. What could go wrong?
Her other children, Josh, 8, and 5-year-old
Carmen Blankenship
May 06, 2016 Carmen Blankenship rated it it was amazing

Too Close to Home by Susan Lewis Published by
Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine

Susan Lewis, Susan Lewis, Susan Lewis. If this is an author that is not on your "By anything they put out list" then you are missing out my friend.

Too Close to Home is one of the most aptly named books I have come across in awhile. It touches on so many struggles families face along with an issue that ripped from the headlines. Cyber bullying.

Too Close to Home is pop
Psusan
Dec 16, 2015 Psusan rated it really liked it
Too Close to Home by Susan Lewis is a not one person’s story but the story of a family. It has multiple subplots that deal with difficult and serious issues such as bullying, marriage faithlessness, betrayal and deception. All these heavy subjects along with psychics and suicide added to the mix make it a serious read. I also had trouble getting into the story and identifying with the characters. However, as the story progressed I became more invested in the outcomes for the characters.

I really
Tonya
Apr 09, 2016 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads

But suddenly everything changes. Paige becomes more and more withdrawn. The closeness she once shared with her mother a distant memory.

It then becomes clear that Jack has secrets to
Sheryl
I would like to thank Ballantine Books and NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book for my honest review.

Jenna and Nick decide to move to family to start a online publishing company. Jenna is novelist who is suffering from a severe case of writer's block. She is trying to write as well take care of the family and help Nick as needed with the new start up. Nick is trying to get the company off the ground with the help of a consultant.

Jenna is happy, but she is slowly finding out things are
Stacey Lechner
Aug 22, 2016 Stacey Lechner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Net Galley and Random House Ballantine for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The beginning of this book starts very slowly and doesn't seem to find its footing right away. The switch of narrators from Jenna, the mother and Paige, her teenage daughter, is very jarring at first. Thankfully I had seen a couple of reviews that advised to stick with the book, that it gets better as the story progresses. And good thing I did see that and I stuck with it, because that wa
Pamela Barrett
Feb 23, 2016 Pamela Barrett rated it really liked it
After moving to Wales, Paige’s perfect family is unraveling at the seams. Her mother and father have started fighting constantly; her father is leaving home and lying about where he’s been. Her mother is more and more anxious and not like her usual self. Paige has her own problems which she feels she can’t share with her already stressed family. But Paige needs help: she is being bullied at school and someone has hacked her social media accounts. She is desperately trying to handle things by ...more
Den
Aug 02, 2016 Den rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Another book which I finished in a day or so.
Jenna and her husband Jack move their family to Wales (that's where we're holidaying at the moment) to make a new start in life and set up a publishing company.
But then the world comes to a stand-still for Jenna when she suspects and then discovers Jack is having an affair and is moving out ... and then their business is not as 'legal' as she thought.
While dealing with this she has to cope with 2 hyper five year-olds, an active nine-year old and a te
  • The Look of Love
  • Hollywood or Bust
  • Three Breaths
  • Lifelong Love: When You Know Better, You Do Better. (Book 1)
  • Pohoi and Comanche Spirit Power
  • Sexual Fitness: The Ultimate Guide to Pump While You Hump, Tone While You Bone and Shred in the Bed
  • Kinship: The Covering (Kinship, #1)
  • Over the Under, and around the Square
  • Feeding the Doves: 31 Short and Very Short Stories, and Haibun
  • The Kindness Ambassador and the Sugarholic Prosecutor: 13 Keys to Living the Life You Are Meant to Love
  • Why Your Life Matters
  • God of the Big Bang: How Modern Science Affirms the Creator
  • Essence of the Dhammapada: The Buddha's Call to Nirvana
  • Voodoo Daddy (Virgil Jones Mystery, #1)
  • A Mere Christian
  • Naturally Bug-Free
  • After the Execution
  • Tara Ellis Photography; Nature's Tapestry
was born in 1956, in Bristol. My father was a Welsh miner, a poet, an engineer and a thinker. My mother was one of 13 children who, at 20, persuaded my father to spend his bonus on an engagement ring instead of a motorbike. We were a normal, happy, nuclear family, living in a spanking new council house on the outskirts of town – my mother’s pride and joy. But we were going to do better, my mother ...more
More about Susan Lewis...