Start by marking “Without Pity: Ann Rule's Most Dangerous Killers” as Want to Read:
Without Pity: Ann Rule's Most Dangerous Killers

Without Pity: Ann Rule's Most Dangerous Killers

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,176 ratings  ·  41 reviews
THEY KILL WITHOUT CONSCIENCE.
ANN RULE PORTRAYS THEIR SHATTERING CRIMES WITHOUT PITY.

In eight stunning Case Files volumes, from A Rose for Her Grave to the #1 blockbuster Last Dance, Last Chance, Ann Rule reigns as "America's best true-crime writer" (Kirkus Reviews). Now, she updates the most astonishing cases from that acclaimed series -- and presents shocking, all-new
Published December 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published November 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Without Pity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Pity

Carol Ann
I don't understand why I am drawn to these true crime books, but I am. Most of her stories go back to crimes from the 60s and 70s. This was not my first time reading her, and it won't be my last. I just don't broadcast this weakness (except on goodreads).
Darsana
I read this when I was in school. I remember suspecting everyone I knew of being sociopaths.
Truly Gripping and Horrifyingly tragic, in most cases, this one's for all the true crime fans out there!
Looking forward to reading 'The Stranger beside me.' If only i could get my hands on it!!
Jamie
Another Ann Rule masterpiece! Another example of the scary people in the world that appear fairly normal!
Carol Stanley-Snow
Why did i read this book? It was in a bag of books a friend gave me, and I had never read Ann Rule.

Her true crime stories are intriging, scary and for me morbidly facinating. I want to say that it's hard to believe there are such evil humans out there, but that would be naive.

I only hope that i never meet such a person.

Ms. Rule is a prolific writer and i have great admiration for her...that she can write about these people and not have horrible nightmares.

Rose
Intriguing, but the stories leave me wanting to know more. I tried to look up some of the cases online to read newspaper reports from the time of the incidents, and to find out whatever happened to the players. But, since Rule (understandably) uses pseudonyms for some of the people involved, it's difficult to research.
Elizabeth Parker
Another great book by Ann Rule. An eye-opening compilation of true crime, which details the lives of those shattered by murderers and confirms the legitimacy of trusting your gut instinct and putting safety first. If something doesn't seem right, it probably is not. Definitely recommend!
Karen
I love the way Ann gives background information on both victim and killer. It's as much a psychological study as criminal.
Pamela
How can I do to read it on my iPhone some one who can help me pls
Charlene Gordon
Excellent true crime book. Read this in 2004.
Diana
Journalist and novelist Ann Rule has compiled in one book a few of the more interesting cases she's reported on in her years as a crime reporter. Most of these cases took place in the states of Washington and Oregon in the 1960's and 70's. She also mentions that she had occasion to work with and know socially Ted Bundy who was later found to be the serial killer of at least 30 women.

These cases read like thrillers and one particular one, is almost funny. "Without Pity" is testimony to the saying
Suzanne Strack
This boook includes a number of summaries of true crime tales from Ann Rule. With the short summary format, it is hard to get into any character development, or any suspenseful story-telling, so it ends up as just a straight-forward "here's what happened" collection.
I found myself bored with the lack of anything interesting, and I find that I am moving away from true-crime altogether.
Diane E
Always enjoy an Ann Rule book. Shes the best true crime writer!!
Sheila
OH MY GOD DON'T READ THIS WHEN IT'S DARK OUT.

*shudders*

(And definitely triggers for sexual assault and violence against women - I managed it just fine with a few episodes of skimming really fast, but I generally do okay with Ann Rule books. I think it's because she has such compassion for the victims and isn't nearly as graphic in her descriptions as she could be.)

I need a really fluffy book now.
Sae-chan
Good for easy reading. But as usual, too much emotion involved in retelling the stories. The writer was taking side and it made her not very objective.
Carol Bedard
I have read everyone of Anne Rule's books...and wait anxiously for the next one. She is 'the best' true crime writer. It blows me away as i read each book just how cunning,devious and just pure evil supposedly normal people can be...and Without Pity once again proves that!!
Christina
I really like Ann Rule--Her true crime books are fascinating and I think they are more scary than some of the fiction books because they really happened. Sometimes just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time....something to think about...
Hanna
I pick it up and put it down. It's for when I am in the mood for True Crime. And it's very well written. I like her collections of stories versus her single books on single cases. The shorter writing is more effective and easier to read.
Vikki
These were new stories of Ann Rule, for me. I had not read them. I don't know why I am interested in true crime sometimes. I guess because it shows human nature. And truth is stranger than fiction. I did enjoy this book.
Krystal
Another anthology of killers well executed by Ms. Rule. Several of them I had read before in other books by her, but I found that I was as captivated by them the second time as I was the first time.
Maggie Bermann
no idea why i love true crime as scare the living daylights out of me, but I do!!

In fact you know what if i had thought a bit more of it in school would have loved to do criminology lol
Jean
I'd read most of these stories before in other books so wasn't very exciting for me. Some of the stories are a bit boring too, which is a shame, because I LOVE Ann Rule.
Nancy
12 intriguing cases of murder by some of the most heinous criminals Ann Rule has ever profiled. An enjoyable read for those of us who read true crime.
Wanda Dancy
She's not the best writer but I still love her books. If you are into true crime stories then she is your author. She has tons if good books!
Tracy
I enjoyed this book, although I think I tired of it towards the end. (Maybe I read it to fast in the beginning as each story was a page turner).
J.M.
Interesting cases in this collection, though I felt she could've been more selective and not chosen so many from the same volume.
Kim Higgs
This book had a couple stories that were kind of blah and some I had already read, however the ones that were good, were great!
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
another good one by Rule..she has such a way of getting inside these people's heads, she must have nerves of steel
Samantha
All but 3 stories I have read in her vol series so it was a repeat for money? The three new stories were worth reading
Laurie Stoll
True crime. Ann Rule is a great writer but the stories she tells are true. They can break your heart.
Alison
Jul 23, 2008 Alison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mostly everyone
Good. I like longer stories, though. These are usually about 20-50 pages per story. Good, though.
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • A Descent Into Hell
  • All She Wanted
  • Murder In The Heartland
  • Bestial: The Savage Trail of a True American Monster
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Never Enough
Ann Rule is a popular American true crime writer. She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders.
At the time she started researching the book, the murders were still unsolved. In the course of time, it became clear that the killer was Bundy, her friend and her colleague as a trained volunteer on the suicide hotline at the Seattle, Washington Crisis
More about Ann Rule...
The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer--America's Deadliest Serial Murderer If You Really Loved Me And Never Let Her Go: Thomas Capano: The Deadly Seducer