Start by marking “Without Pity: Ann Rule's Most Dangerous Killers” as Want to Read:
Without Pity: Ann Rule's Most Dangerous Killers

Without Pity: Ann Rule's Most Dangerous Killers

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,491 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
THEY KILL WITHOUT CONSCIENCE.
ANN RULE PORTRAYS THEIR SHATTERING CRIMES WITHOUT PITY.

In eight stunning Case Files volumes, from A Rose for Her Grave to the #1 blockbuster Last Dance, Last Chance, Ann Rule reigns as "America's best true-crime writer" (Kirkus Reviews). Now, she updates the most astonishing cases from that acclaimed series -- and presents shocking, all-new
Published December 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published November 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Without Pity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Pity

Carol Ann
Sep 04, 2009 Carol Ann rated it liked it
I don't understand why I am drawn to these true crime books, but I am. Most of her stories go back to crimes from the 60s and 70s. This was not my first time reading her, and it won't be my last. I just don't broadcast this weakness (except on goodreads).
Darsana
Aug 13, 2012 Darsana rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this when I was in school. I remember suspecting everyone I knew of being sociopaths.
Truly Gripping and Horrifyingly tragic, in most cases, this one's for all the true crime fans out there!
Looking forward to reading 'The Stranger beside me.' If only i could get my hands on it!!
Karen
Dec 20, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
I love the way Ann gives background information on both victim and killer. It's as much a psychological study as criminal.
CatBookMom
Short stories, many from other compilations (so noted in the ToC). Better than average anthology, and she has updated a couple of the stories to the time of this book's publication.
Jamie
Feb 02, 2009 Jamie rated it liked it
Another Ann Rule masterpiece! Another example of the scary people in the world that appear fairly normal!
Jeanne Foster
May 12, 2014 Jeanne Foster rated it it was amazing
All Ann Rule books are good writing and deep investigation.
Carol Stanley-Snow
Feb 19, 2014 Carol Stanley-Snow rated it it was amazing
Why did i read this book? It was in a bag of books a friend gave me, and I had never read Ann Rule.

Her true crime stories are intriging, scary and for me morbidly facinating. I want to say that it's hard to believe there are such evil humans out there, but that would be naive.

I only hope that i never meet such a person.

Ms. Rule is a prolific writer and i have great admiration for her...that she can write about these people and not have horrible nightmares.

J. Ewbank
Mar 09, 2015 J. Ewbank rated it liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, crime
These stories by Ann Rule are really unbelievble. It makes you wonder why we humans do the things we do to other humans. Some of these stories have never been solved, some have been. This is a book well worth reading.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Rose
Jul 19, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it
Intriguing, but the stories leave me wanting to know more. I tried to look up some of the cases online to read newspaper reports from the time of the incidents, and to find out whatever happened to the players. But, since Rule (understandably) uses pseudonyms for some of the people involved, it's difficult to research.
Elizabeth Parker
May 20, 2014 Elizabeth Parker rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Ann Rule. An eye-opening compilation of true crime, which details the lives of those shattered by murderers and confirms the legitimacy of trusting your gut instinct and putting safety first. If something doesn't seem right, it probably is not. Definitely recommend!
Donald L McGill
Jul 20, 2016 Donald L McGill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ANOTHER GREAT BOOK BY RULE ! ! !

From page 1 to the last and final page, Ann has you at every scene..
You are a fly on the wall,watching every action, with 30 years as a
Deputy, many of them in Oregon some of the named were personal
friends, and excellent officers.
Readerkuna1
Jan 25, 2016 Readerkuna1 rated it liked it
THis was a book with 8 of Ann's true crime stories. It gives us just enough information to know what happened in the cases.
Ellen
Jul 26, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it
Boring. Need to read an Ann Rule True Crime complete book. Not short stories.
Pamela
Mar 13, 2014 Pamela rated it did not like it
How can I do to read it on my iPhone some one who can help me pls
Charlene Gordon
Aug 14, 2014 Charlene Gordon rated it it was amazing
Excellent true crime book. Read this in 2004.
Diana
Mar 04, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it
Journalist and novelist Ann Rule has compiled in one book a few of the more interesting cases she's reported on in her years as a crime reporter. Most of these cases took place in the states of Washington and Oregon in the 1960's and 70's. She also mentions that she had occasion to work with and know socially Ted Bundy who was later found to be the serial killer of at least 30 women.

These cases read like thrillers and one particular one, is almost funny. "Without Pity" is testimony to the saying
Carly Charles
Jan 17, 2015 Carly Charles rated it really liked it
long live ann rule
Tom Nolan
paperback
Stacey
Mar 25, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime-books
took me a little longer to get into this but once I did it was very good.I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the true crime books!! I haven't found an Ann Rule book that I haven't enjoyed.Looking forward to the next one!!
Suzanne Strack
Jan 13, 2014 Suzanne Strack rated it it was ok
This boook includes a number of summaries of true crime tales from Ann Rule. With the short summary format, it is hard to get into any character development, or any suspenseful story-telling, so it ends up as just a straight-forward "here's what happened" collection.
I found myself bored with the lack of anything interesting, and I find that I am moving away from true-crime altogether.
Alice
Apr 10, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own, true-crime
I read this book a few years ago . I love Ann Rule's writing style , she keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish wondering what's going to happen next . Can't wait to read more from the author .
Diane Rockey
Mar 07, 2014 Diane Rockey rated it it was amazing
Always enjoy an Ann Rule book. Shes the best true crime writer!!
Sheila
Jan 14, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2012
OH MY GOD DON'T READ THIS WHEN IT'S DARK OUT.

*shudders*

(And definitely triggers for sexual assault and violence against women - I managed it just fine with a few episodes of skimming really fast, but I generally do okay with Ann Rule books. I think it's because she has such compassion for the victims and isn't nearly as graphic in her descriptions as she could be.)

I need a really fluffy book now.
Sae-chan
May 10, 2014 Sae-chan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good for easy reading. But as usual, too much emotion involved in retelling the stories. The writer was taking side and it made her not very objective.
Carol Bedard
May 04, 2013 Carol Bedard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read everyone of Anne Rule's books...and wait anxiously for the next one. She is 'the best' true crime writer. It blows me away as i read each book just how cunning,devious and just pure evil supposedly normal people can be...and Without Pity once again proves that!!
Christina
May 12, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
I really like Ann Rule--Her true crime books are fascinating and I think they are more scary than some of the fiction books because they really happened. Sometimes just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time....something to think about...
Hanna
Jul 21, 2014 Hanna rated it really liked it
I pick it up and put it down. It's for when I am in the mood for True Crime. And it's very well written. I like her collections of stories versus her single books on single cases. The shorter writing is more effective and easier to read.
Vikki
Apr 23, 2010 Vikki rated it liked it
These were new stories of Ann Rule, for me. I had not read them. I don't know why I am interested in true crime sometimes. I guess because it shows human nature. And truth is stranger than fiction. I did enjoy this book.
ReBecca
Mar 02, 2016 ReBecca rated it liked it
Ann is such a good writer when it comes to True Crime. I know that most of her time was spent in the Washington area but I would love if she wrote about other areas. I'd also love if she wrote newer crimes as well!
Krystal
Jul 17, 2011 Krystal rated it it was amazing
Another anthology of killers well executed by Ms. Rule. Several of them I had read before in other books by her, but I found that I was as captivated by them the second time as I was the first time.
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Seduced by Madness: The True Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • Bestial: The Savage Trail of a True American Monster
  • Bitter Almonds: The True Story of Mothers, Daughters, and the Seattle Cyanide Murders
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Invisible Darkness
  • Victim: The Other Side of Murder
  • While They Slept: An Inquiry Into the Murder of a Family
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Murder In The Heartland
  • Inside the Mind of BTK: The True Story Behind the Thirty-Year Hunt for the Notorious Wichita Serial Killer
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Scream at the Sky: Five Texas Murders and One Man's Crusade for Justice
  • Evil Eyes
  • After Etan: The Missing Child Case that Held America Captive
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th
More about Ann Rule...