Start by marking “The Resurrection: History and Myth” as Want to Read:
The Resurrection: History and Myth

The Resurrection: History and Myth

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Resurrection is the rock of faith on which Christianity is founded. But on what evidence is the most miraculous phenomenon in religious history based?

World-famous biblical scholar Geza Vermes has studied all the evidence that still remains, over two thousand years after Jesus Christ was reported to have risen from the dead. Examining the Jewish Bible, the New Testament
Published February 12th 2008 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Resurrection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Resurrection

Lee Razer
Oct 16, 2009 Lee Razer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a short, very readable book by Geza Vermes, retired Professor of Jewish Studies at Oxford and a leading historian on Judaism in the era of Jesus.

In Part One he examines Jewish attitudes towards the afterlife in the times leading up to and including the life of Jesus. Was belief in resurrection a feature of Judaism in the time of Jesus? Definitely not. Pharisees held this belief, but their influence was small, mostly limited to the towns of Judea, and almost entirely nonexistent in the Ga
Rachael
Jan 29, 2011 Rachael rated it really liked it
This is another short and accessible exploration of a topic drawn from the New Testament written by Vermes. He starts by exploring the notion of resurrection and afterlife in Jewish and pagan thought which is an interesting report. Unlike the centrality of the notion of afterlifea nd resurrection in today's Christianity, the notion of resurrection didn't even enter Jewish thought until rather late, around the time of the Maccabean revolt (mid 2nd C BC), aside from possible references in Ezekiel, ...more
J.R.
Jan 21, 2009 J.R. rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I had just started reading this little book when my mother took ill and misplaced it in the days leading up to her death. I finally found and finished it in the waning days of 2008.
Vermes offers a clear and interesting comparison between Jewish, early Christian and contemporary views on the afterlife. He also analyzes the different accounts of the resurrection in the gospels and recounts varying explanations as proposed by believers and non-believers.
An interesting little book.
Pete daPixie
Feb 26, 2009 Pete daPixie rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical-jesus
I didn't really enjoy this as much as 'Jesus the Jew' and other Vermes books. I don't believe the myth in the first place, yet wasn't totally convinced with Mr Vermes's final conclusions either.
The book starts slow with an exploration of Judaism's history with the ideas of Resurrection, to it's position at the time of Jesus, and finally it's rooting into N.T. accounts.
Ashish Jaituni
Mar 09, 2012 Ashish Jaituni rated it really liked it
This is a really good book. Although, I don't agree with the views of the author, I admit he has written a compelling book which is quite different. He has dealt with Resurrection in a different way than most others do. It is a very compelling read. I urge both believers and skeptics alike, to read this book. A scholarly work!
Penny
Apr 16, 2008 Penny rated it it was amazing
Certainly makes me realise how little I know about my own religion, however an excellent book lucidly written. IT has helped me to understand things about early Christianity that i did not know and has made me realise that i need to explore early Christainity and the birth of the Christin church
Wyatt Houtz
Feb 12, 2013 Wyatt Houtz rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Unhelpful skepticism.
Muhammad Nouman
Muhammad Nouman marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Christopher Johnson
Christopher Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Arthur George
Arthur George rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Theodore Rice
Theodore Rice rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Avcopan
Avcopan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Leisa
Leisa added it
Jan 21, 2016
Golden pages
Golden pages marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Bilal Farooq
Bilal Farooq marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
F PACKER
F PACKER rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Carolyn Funk
Carolyn Funk rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Alan Dev
Alan Dev marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Mars
Mars marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Géza Vermes was a Jewish Hungarian scholar and writer on religious history, particularly Jewish and Christian.
More about Géza Vermès...