Start by marking “Daughter of Gods and Shadows” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Gods and Shadows

Daughter of Gods and Shadows

Eden Reid is not interested in prophesy. The problem is that a doozy of a prophesy is bearing down on her. Such is the case when you're a twenty-four-year-old from Brooklyn, New York who is about to discover she is an ancient god. A truly powerful one. And with power comes problems.
A truly formidable demon is gunning for her; a zombie-like pandemic is spreading across the
Published February 3rd 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Gods and Shadows, please sign up.

Jayde Not really. I've based most of my story on the fictional Theian history.

Lenissa Davis
Dec 24, 2014 Lenissa Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
3 1/2 out of 5 Stars for me.

The cover was not doing it for me, I don't see the connection between it and what's inside the book. I loved the writing style; this was definitely a page turner and the author made you feel the same emotions as the characters. Ah the characters, lets' get to them, I can go on and on about them, but I won't.

I don't know how I feel about Eden to be honest. In the beginning, I guess she was okay, she was whiny to the point that it was annoying. Like I understand that yo
Sassy
Sumayyah
Oct 04, 2015 Sumayyah rated it really liked it
If there is any series I wished was finished before I started reading book 1, it would be this one.

Eden has been told from birth by her caregiver, Rose, that she is the Redeemer reborn, the only one who can save Earth from a soon-to-be reawakened Demon named Sakarabru. Eden can see the true forms of Ancients, alien beings that have hidden in human skin for 4000 years after the fall of their world, Theia. Khale, who deserves the title of [insert unflattering word here] is the original Redeemer's
Brian Palmer
Aug 02, 2015 Brian Palmer rated it liked it
Urban fantasy -- 4 thousand years ago, war broke out on another world -- one where shapeshifters, trolls, and dragons live, among others -- and evil swept across the land. Thankfully they had a Prophecy of a Redeemer who would cast down the evil. Unfortunately, they kept on casting down, and the entire world was destroyed before the Redeemer could herself be dissolved.

Now the surviving races hide among humans, keeping their secrets under wraps. They are more powerful than humans but not invincib
Robyn Curtis
Mar 03, 2015 Robyn Curtis rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this, but in the end it just wasn't for me. (view spoiler) ...more
Meg
Feb 25, 2016 Meg rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-f, aoc, femauthors, uf-pr
DaeDae
Dec 07, 2016 DaeDae rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
My best friend recommended this book to me. He prefers high fantasy novels, and I generally read Horror and SciFi novels. However, when I do read fantasy novels I generally like contemporary and low fantasy.

All the main characters of people of color, which I love because it's rare to find fantasy novels with PoC as the main characters: Cat people, humanoids, and sentient squid tentacles are a-okay. Black people, Native American, and latinx, say whaaat!

Eden is a compelling character in that she
Monica **can't read fast enough**
This was a really interesting world and the premise is a good one. I will definitely pick up the next book when it's released. Full Review to come.
Eboni
Oct 03, 2016 Eboni rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
I wanted to like this more than I did.

Pros: Diverse cast of characters, short bite sized chapters, an intriguing premise and plot.

Cons: The sexual violence, too many characters to follow (for me) and not enough time on the important things.

Everything felt too neatly settled for me at the end. it took no effort and there was no clean up. Glad I read it though!
T.R. Horne
Nov 28, 2014 T.R. Horne rated it really liked it
Jayde Brooks does an amazing job of creating characters that have emotional appeal. I thoroughly enjoyed Daughter of Gods and Shadows! Let's do a very quick recap of the story:

Eden suffers terrible nightmares and visions of an ancient being that speaks of "Omens". While growing up with her surrogate mother, an ancient being named Rose, she learns her fate as the savior of the modern world and destroyer of the strongest Demon, Sakarabru. She denies her fate and hates that she was backed into a co
Nova
Dec 01, 2014 Nova rated it really liked it
I received this book as a First-Reads Advance Reader Copy from Goodreads. Thanks, Goodreads, Ms. Brooks and St. Martin's Griffin.

This first book in a planned trilogy had a very interesting narrative. I enjoyed being introduced to some unique and gripping characters through the books multiple third person viewpoints (a-la Song of Ice and Fire) Tension and excitement flowed throughout the entire book. It constantly felt like it was leading up to something big, and although it didn't have quite the
Constance Burris
May 24, 2015 Constance Burris rated it it was amazing
Do I recommend it: Yes,
Diversity: 5
Characters: 5
Story: 4

No Shame to My Game. I bought this book solely based on the book cover.

This is what I wrote before I finished the book: Because I bought it for its cover, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that I didn't like it. I found it hard to connect with any of the characters. In fact, I wasn't even going to finish the book. But I decided it had fey and black people. And since Coal has fey and black people I forced myself to finish. And OHEMGEE.
Inda
Feb 08, 2015 Inda rated it really liked it
Like much of my Twitter feed, I first became interested in this book after seeing the cover. Much to my surprise, I won an advanced copy from a giveaway. Overall, I really enjoyed this fantasy novel that includes practically every creature of myth we have ever grown up with.

Admittedly, it took me a while to get into the novel. There are so many characters with multiple names that is it difficult to keep track of them at times. Furthermore, it appears I received an advanced copy that still had so
Eden Royce
May 18, 2015 Eden Royce rated it really liked it
If you’re looking for a sweeping, dark adventure/quest novel, look no further. This story had what I love to read in a book: strong female characters and the ultimate in high stakes – saving the world. Blend that with a Black protagonist and stir in a healthy helping of African culture and you have Jayde Brooks’ new release. Daughter has its roots in 4,000 years in the past, all of it filtered through our modern day heroine, Eden. (Love that name!)

It’s mature, well paced, and tough. While there
Sharon
Jan 13, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
While this book's cover did not draw my attention, the inside definitely did. This book was a first reads good reads giveaway. IT is an advance reading copy so there were some typos and corrections that will need to be made but these did not deter from the story. This is a well planned novel with suspense, adventure, sex (yes - not a PG book), and gruesomeness.

I felt that some things were left out of the story- perhaps some could have been added at the end or maybe these were left out on purpos
Sandra Guerfi
Jan 25, 2015 Sandra Guerfi rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Just to let you guys know, I won this particular title through one of Goodreads giveaways. Review is all my own.

Brooklyn has many interesting things about it but none more so than Eden a young woman who lives there. She can see mystical beings who came to Earth thousands of years ago when their Redeemer destroyed a great evil and in the process gave into her powers and decimated their world as well. The Ancients know Eden is the Redeemer reborn and when the great demon Sakarabru is resurrected s
Michaela Whitney
Dec 30, 2014 Michaela Whitney rated it liked it
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through a Good Reads Giveaway.
While I was excited by the premise, I had a very hard time staying focused while reading it.
There were moments where it was moving fine and other sections were I just couldn't seem to get through it.
Most of the problem I had was with Jayden, considering she had been raised knowing what fate was coming her way, and was told the stories and given (most) of the information. I felt like she was kinda whiny and not strong enough for a main character
Nani Hendrix
Oct 11, 2015 Nani Hendrix rated it really liked it
I do enjoy a good mystical, supernatural book. I love to read about legendary creatures and believe me this book has plenty! Eden was a bit challenging to like in the beginning, but I understood her emotions. If I was the only hope to save a race against a scary, powerful demon then I would say to hell with life as well. I adored her relationship w/ Prophet, who was my favorite character by the way. Andromeda was my second. I kind of got confused on very few pieces here and there but overall I ...more
Chrisa
Jun 05, 2015 Chrisa rated it it was ok
I received this book from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. Thank you, Ms. Brooks and St. Martin's Griffin, for the opportunity to read an Advance Reading Copy.

I really wanted to like this book because the story is interesting and there are loads of characters based on myths and legends. However, the writing needs refinement, there is too much repetition and the characters are a bit flat.

This book has so much potential! The writing has some very good moments, but some parts of the story and cha
Chrissy
Nov 08, 2016 Chrissy rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
I received this book though the goodreads.com giveaways.

The cover of this book through me off, to me it looks more like a young adult book. That’s what I was expecting, and in my opinion that is not what I got. This book has quit a bit of swearing and sex scenes in it that put me off to the book. However, that could have been because I was not expecting it. Besides that I liked the story line. It has several characters that it follows, and I found it interesting seeing the view of the “good” cha
Candice
Jan 19, 2015 Candice rated it liked it
Recommended to Candice by: People who read alot of Fantasy
Shelves: first-reads
Me and this book are gonna have alot in common. For one thing were both just gonna jump right in. This is my biggest problem with this book. Theres no build up. Theres no "Hi this is the character, and this is what she looks like." Its just straight to Nightmares and death. I had a hard time building a connection with Eden. As I got further into the book this became less of a problem but the whole time I was left wanting for that begining that im used to getting. If you can ignore this then this ...more
Lianne Burwell
I'm kind of iffy on this book. If I could, I would give it 2 1/2 stars out of five. It was a solid, but not really exciting books. The ideas were great (demon and redeemer battle it out in a fantasy world, but in the end, the redeemer goes crazy and destroys the world. Survivors come to our world and wait for it all to start again), and the writing was perfectly serviceable.

However, I didn't much care for any of the characters on either side. As well, the sex scenes were closer to erotica than I
Leah
Feb 20, 2015 Leah rated it liked it
First...I loved the scenes early in the book where Eden can see things that no one else can.

I enjoyed this story a lot. The characters of Eden, the Guardian, Kifo and Rose were my favorites. Admittedly it took me a bit to get into the story but once in, I was hooked and had to read until I was finished. I felt like these characters and their feelings were drawn in color instead of black and white and I really appreciated that.

I love a good vs. evil story and this combined with old god/goddess
Rosibel
Nov 28, 2014 Rosibel rated it it was amazing
This Is a Interesting story from other fiction books that I have read and I love it , the type of book you don't want to stop reading, and you want to know what's next... Jayde Brooks is a excellent writer I can't wait to read her next book.
I won "Gods And Shadows" in a giveaway here in goodreads, and I am really glad that I did...
Thank you I love the book.
L.A. Hendricks
Apr 18, 2015 L.A. Hendricks rated it really liked it
Interesting novel with a solid premise. I loved the character of Eden, and felt she was well written and fully fleshed out. The surrounding characters help push the story along without bogging it down. Overall I liked this book and will absolutely read book 2 in the series.
Debra Jeakins
Jan 08, 2015 Debra Jeakins rated it it was ok
For the most part the book was ok. Parts of the book dragged on and on and hard to get thru. All in all I liked the plot and the characters.

I received this book in exchange from goodreads for an honest review
Kevin
Jun 23, 2015 Kevin rated it did not like it
fuck this book. one dimensional characters. a world that should have been interesting, but somehow wasn't. bad writing. teenage angst
Kennetha Sawyers
almost as good as L. A. Banks

The best at this genre left us 2 years ago. Hopefully she will rise to banks' level with more practice
Tarran
Dec 09, 2014 Tarran rated it really liked it
This is a really intense book. I thought the plot was really well written,and the characters were very interesting. This is a page turner, and a must read!
Kaitlyn DuLaney
Mar 21, 2016 Kaitlyn DuLaney rated it it was ok
It was good for the story and different point of views, I was just expecting a lot more action from the way the plot was.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Liesmith (The Wyrd, #1)
  • Ominous Realities: The Anthology of Dark Speculative Horrors
  • Sleepy Willow's Bonded Soul (The Narcoleptic Vampire, #1)
  • Moonshine (Zephyr Hollis, #1)
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard #2
  • How to Reprimand Your Rock Star (DommeNation, #2)
  • Black Rose Alice, Tome 1 (Black Rose Alice #1)
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • Hollyweird
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
  • The Exile (The Fae, #1)
  • Moura
  • Three Princes
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 3: Alis Volat Propriis
  • Six-Gun Snow White
  • Haterz
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • 100 Years of Lynchings
Jayde Brooks lives in Colorado. She loves the mountains, Greek food, deep space, jewelry, God, and everything super hero-ish. "Daughter of Gods and Shadows" is her debut novel, and is the first in a planned series of three books, the second of which, City of Dark Creatures, is scheduled for release in November 2015.
More about Jayde Brooks...