Start by marking “Northworld (Northworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Northworld (Northworld, #1)

Northworld (Northworld #1)

The Consensus ruled twelve hundred worlds - but not Northworld. Three fleets had been dispatched to probe the enigma of Northworld. Noe returned.
Now, Commissioner Nils Hansen must face the challenge of this distant planet...a gateway to nine alternate worlds. There, he will confront a world at war, a world of androids, a world of sentient machines...all unique, all lethal.
Published April 1st 1990 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Northworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northworld

Patrick
Aug 27, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it
A friend recommended these books to be a while ago. And by a while ago, I mean close to 15 YEARS ago. That little tidbit might let you know something about how far behind I am in my reading.

These days, I don't read much SF, and even back in the day when I read a lot more, I never was a big aficionado of military SF.

That said, I enjoyed these.

Positives: Cool concept, good action, and the writer is obviously smart, drawing disparate elements together to make a different type of story. Also, the
Derek
Apr 05, 2014 Derek rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of David Drake, and maybe fans of Norse mythology
A science-fiction retelling of parts of the Norse Eddas (primarily the Elder Edda), in some ways this reads like Jack Chalker without the twisted sex. Not that there isn't sex, and some of it is as distasteful as you might expect from a Viking Edda.

Ultimately, though, the characters are not well developed and the plot is mostly a lot of rather bloodthirsty fighting. Much as I expect of the Elder Edda, though I haven't read it.

There's also a whole subplot where one of the gods causes the destruc
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
From Publishers Weekly

The latest military science fiction from Drake ( Hammer's Slammers ) supplies fast-paced adventure with convincing depth. A planet has been "stolen," a vague concept here, and Commissioner Nils Hansen is assigned to investigate. The prime suspect is Captain North, who prepared the planet for colonization and for whom it is named: Northworld. Hansen arrives in Northworld and his first stop is Diamond, a beautiful and non-violent section where his weapons evaporate, and he

Neil
Jan 27, 2014 Neil rated it liked it
This is a gritty 'retelling' of Norse mythology via the lens of science fiction [military sci-fi]. I think this might be the fourth time I have read this book; it is the first story in a trilogy set in an 'extra-dimensional system' [my wording] composed of eight worlds joined by a ninth reality called 'the Matrix' [not to be mistaken for the three movies starring Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne].

The story starts off slow. We encounter the 'hero', Nils Hansen, and his 'Special Unit' as they a
D.w.
Dec 11, 2009 D.w. rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This book was refreshing.I do not want to gush and take with a grain of salt the authors anecdote in the book about how well received it is.

Fantasy often falls into familiar rhythms and sometimes a work comes along to break them. Here we have a tale that twists things about so that you are left unsure, even in the final cadence of how things here turn out. Those twists will keep you engaged and surprise you.

We have seen works that start with the world viewed through the eyes of children, and thi
Andrew Finazzo
Feb 04, 2012 Andrew Finazzo rated it it was ok
I'm not a Trekky, but the opening sections of Northworld felt remarkably similar to an episode from Star Trek the original series. The sections that captured the campy sci-fi bravado of Kirk were the best parts of Northworld.

On the flip side are the sections (over a third of the book) involving the Gods of Northworld. If you've read the Wheel of Time series, these sections are like the chapters directly involving the Forsaken in their lairs. They are overwrought with confusing jargon and incomp
Daniel
May 02, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
I read this in an afternoon or two, dipping into it like a bag of potato chips and enjoying its light-footed story and inoffensively silly mash-up of medieval fantasy and far-future warfare. This is the first of a trilogy, and Drake outlines a greater mystery that, likely, he resolves in the later books. I actually own this as an ebook omnibus, so if the urge strikes, I can read on.
Timothy VanderWall
Nov 23, 2014 Timothy VanderWall rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Although I didn't care much for this SF novel from the beginning, I decided to give it a chance. I read 1/4 of the book before giving up. the writing itself was good, but each chapter left me more confused about what the book was about and where it was going. The author must have had a direction, but I'm darned if I could figure it out. Maybe it gets better after the part that I read, but I will likely never know. Sorry.
Allan Ashinoff
Oct 01, 2013 Allan Ashinoff rated it it was ok
The author moved Norse (?) poems into a science fiction realm. At time the overlying slipping through the "matrix" and simultaneous existences on multiple planes was confusing. The action sequences were well done. But I often wondered why the "smith's" with the remarkable ability to simply manifest things from the matrix never manifested some EMP based weapons to turn armies of battle suit, electric arc wielding warriors into prisoners in their own armor.

Large portions of the book kept me from s
Karin
Nov 07, 2013 Karin rated it it was ok
For some reason I couldn't connect with any of the characters. It just didn't flow well for me. Whatever happened to his original mission for the concensus? That wasn't addressed at the end and that's what really bothered me.
M.A. Ray
Oct 21, 2012 M.A. Ray rated it it was ok
Nothing I read of Drake's has quite measured up to "The Dragon Lord." I suppose it was readable, but after a beginning I could sink my teeth into, I wanted to let go.
Matthew Bauman
Sep 17, 2012 Matthew Bauman rated it really liked it
I liked it. It gets a little confusing with the hopping back and forth but all in all a good read and I really liked the take on the 'gods'.
Glenn Harris
Mar 19, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
An interesting, complicated first book of what looks to be a fascinating trilogy. The action is intense and the universe multi-leveled.
Angel
Jan 03, 2008 Angel rated it did not like it
Shelves: science_fiction
See my note on it in my blog:

Aaron
Mar 19, 2008 Aaron rated it liked it
Loads of hot humpin'. Ludicrous middle ages/futuristic action. The 16 year old me was in heaven.
Charles
Aug 07, 2009 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
3 and a half stars. Good military SF with some mystery thrown in.
Peter
May 20, 2012 Peter rated it it was ok
Interesting series - never re-read them as yet
William Miller
Sep 14, 2013 William Miller rated it it was amazing
awesome scifi. loved the protagonist, Hansen.
Keith
Feb 01, 2013 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Book 1 in Series
Thomas
May 15, 2011 Thomas rated it it was ok
Rambles.
PrintOrRiot
PrintOrRiot rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Vincent
Vincent rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2016
Jhondoe
Jhondoe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
DB in Richmond
DB in Richmond rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Catie
Catie is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2016
  • The Alien Debt
  • Planetfall
  • Symphony of Light (#12)
  • Death Quest (Mission Earth, #6)
  • The Anvil (The General, #3)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • And All the Stars a Stage
  • Sagramanda
  • In Endless Twilight (Forever Hero, #3)
  • Sleipnir
  • Drifter's War (Drifter, #3)
  • The Three-Cornered War  (The Regiment, #5)
  • Rogue Bolo
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • Narabedla Ltd.
  • The Khyber Connection (Time Wars, #6)
  • The Triumphant (Bolos 3)
  • Jupiter Project (Jupiter Project, #1)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Northworld (3 books)
  • Vengeance (Northworld, #2)
  • Justice (Northworld, #3)