Start by marking “The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists” as Want to Read:
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists (The Pirates! #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,492 ratings  ·  362 reviews
Not since Moby-Dick... No, not since Treasure Island... Actually, not since Jonah and the Whale has there been a sea saga to rival The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists, featuring the greatest sea-faring hero of all time, the immortal Pirate Captain, who, although he lives for months at a time at sea, somehow manages to keep his beard silky and in good condition.

Wor
Published October 19th 2004 by Pantheon Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Best Humorous Books
271st out of 2,490 books — 4,838 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia ReesThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Pirates!
34th out of 357 books — 481 voters

More lists with this book...

Tfitoby
Words To Consider Before Embarking on A Piratical Adventure With Scientists:

Lubber

Pirate

Ham

Starboard

Sloop

Galley

If you feel you are not yet ready to become entangled with these and other similar words you may want to spend a week in your local library's section on Pirates! for Dummies before picking this book up.

Aaarghh! That scurby knave, Gideon Defoe, is some sort of comedy genius, his debut novel reads like a Frankenstein's monster-type creation that is part Lemony Snicket, part Douglas Adams,
Melki
'That's enough of that, my beauties!' he roared. 'Let's set a course' - at this point the Pirate Captain paused in what he hoped would be a dramatic and exciting fashion - 'for adventure!'

The crew just gave him a bit of a collective blank look. The Pirate Captain sighed.

'All right.' he said with a pout, 'south.'

Oh, but it IS adventure the pirates blunder into as they help Charles Darwin and his Man-panzee get accepted by Victorian high society and everything.

Here's the hilarious account of their
Michael
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists follows the story of the Pirate captain and his unorthodox crew. On their adventures they meet Charles Darwin and his highly trained and sophisticated “man-panzee” Mister Bobo. Darwin has been banished from London by a rival scientist and manages to convince the Pirate captain to help defeat his enemies.

While this book and the rest of the series is not aimed at children, it comes as a real surprise that the stop animation movie adaption was. I’ve not
Vanessa
Two weeks ago, I went to my nearest cinema to watch The Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists. It was a fun little film, and it's classic Aardman entertainment, but it's nothing great. In fact, as far as Aardman films go, it's maybe a little notch above Flushed Away. But it isn't bad, it just isn't Chicken Run or classic Wallace & Gromit.

Miniature movie review aside, what did I think of the original book? It was absolutely hilarious, and contains so much over the top silliness that it sho
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
'and is that.... a treasure map tattooed on your belly?'
'no. it's the periodic table.'

for two days i've been trying to read a book. i've started two and not even got past 30 pages. i picked up a few other books and put them back down. hugely frustrating.

so i went for a pirate book. because of course that makes sense.

apparently it is supposed to be a very funny read. and maybe i just have a lame sense of humour, because i did not laugh once. but it's what i need right now. it is silly - on the ve
Kurt
The Pirates! is a book for adults (mostly) written in the style of a middle-grade book with footnotes detailing recipes for a good mai-tai and descriptions of pirate shanties about mermaids that put out.

There is a little bit of a plot.

The remarkable (a talking monkey) is mundane.

The mundane (ham) is remarkable.

People die. Especially the pirates with names, like Marcus and Stan. It is gory.

Defoe's relentless silliness can be overbearing if taken in one sitting. This is an excellent chapter-o
Elizabeth
Hrm. Well the story is cute and sometimes clever. But I kept stumbling over a lot of moments where a woman being murdered is a punchline, or women are treated only as dateable targets. Those jokes never seem to be clever or layered enough to be a critique of anything, and really just feel like a big thread of plain old misogyny throughout.
nicole
This is a fun, silly read. I stumbled across this book by chance and was attracted to it by the title (being in grad school in science and all). After reading the back cover of the book I bought it.

It's complete nonsense and super fun (don't worry, there is a story...it's about pirates! in an adventure with scientists!). It is exactly my type of humor. It's pretty short so it's a nice weekend read (or even just a one-day read).
Margie
It is quite funny, and also rather sexist. The flyleaf mentions that Defoe wrote the book to try to win over a woman, who spurned him. A minor strain of bitter sexism runs through the book, which is otherwise a fun romp. I'm disappointed, as it would otherwise be a stellar recommendation.
Not for kids.
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists is such a delightfully fun adventure. The whimsy and wacky fun really recharged my reading batteries. It’s the kind of book that could appeal to almost all ages and everyone could find a little bit of something that they’d love about this book. There’s a lot of piratical adventures, jokes, various preparations of ham and, as the title suggests, a lot of stuff about science.

The Pirates have gone far too long without an adventure and are resorting to i
Charles
I know it's supposed to be humor, and I'm a very hard sell for humor. It takes a lot to get me to laughing and this one didn't do it for me. Take my comments with a grain of salt, though. A lot of folks seemed to find it funny, but then I didn't care for Douglas Adams either.
Kate
This is a book about...PIRATES! Defoe is both creative and funny. Blame it on Disney but I pictured Johnny Depp as the captain. Simply a fun read.
D.M.
I'm not ashamed to say I only read this book because I so enjoyed the movie. They are, however, two largely different stories. The movie follows Pirate Captain and his crew of nameless pirate mates on an adventure wherein Darwin is largely a bad guy and the principal villain is Queen Victoria, with a story revolving around a dodo named Polly; the book has Pirate Captain and an only occasionally similar crew of nameless pirate mates on an adventure helping Darwin find his missing brother, and the ...more
Kali
Ah, pirate comedy. In Gideon Defoe’s novel, his pirate crew debates the best part of pirating (grog or cutlasses), delights in anachronisms like Post-It notes and dental floss, and accidentally attacks Charles Darwin’s ship, the Beagle. The Pirate Captain (yes, that’s his name) decides to spare Darwin’s life in exchange for a boat ride back to London. Darwin put the pirates up at the swank Royal Society and passes them off as scientists. Soon the pirates are the toast of the town and are up to t ...more
Monika
Nov 13, 2010 Monika rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody with any sort of sense of humor
The best part about this lovely little book about Pirates, and scientists, and nonsense, is that it does what so little humor books, or tv shows, or anything in pop culture dares to do; it is completely designed to make fun of itself.
The whole book reads like a beautiful, witty little joke, and yet; the characters are fun, the plot is followable, and the writing is wonderful. Defoe's book was "written for a girl" who was not successfully wooed by the pirate adventure. That bit of information, wh
Patrick Gibson
Pirates dressing up as scientists dressing up as women, hanging out with Charles Darwin on the Beagle, having adventures and discovering evolution. Monty Python meet Gideon Defoe! Don’t look for a plot because there is none. Don’t look for anything redeeming, social or other, because there is nothing. It’s a light hearted slapstick romp through Pirate lore. And Pirate-speak. “Har!” It wasn’t satirical enough for me but the silly parts made me laugh. You can read it quicker than watching a movie. ...more
Denelle
If you have four and a half minutes, and you feel like a good chuckle because your doctor said it is good for you - which it is - then pick up this book. This is the book that inspired the kids movie, though the book is more for adults since it includes promiscuous mermaids and nudity from the locals on the nearby island. So utterly charming, I want to shove my wenchly bosom into the author's face and try to convince him to be my matey.
Donna
This is a cute, quick story about a ship full of pirates with a taste for both ham and adventure. The luxuriantly-bearded Pirate Captain and his crew (including the scarf-wearing pirate and the pirate in red) meet Darwin, then help the scientist face down a plot that threatens to hide his greatest discovery from the world.

It's fluffy but fun, can be read in one or two sittings, and is best suited for people with a very silly sense of humor.
Jeff
I heard this book read out loud at the Storytellers Club at St. John's my freshmen year, and four years later I still smirk whenever I think about it. A pocket-sized dose of wanton piracy, confused evolutionary theory, and cigar chomping chimpanzees, totally worth the hour and a half it will take you to read it.
Kathryn
Let me just say that the recommendations I sent out for this book are no longer as valid as before. This was silly and fun and simple. I expected more. But I did laugh aloud at times and I love the entire concept of the book. If you are in the mood for a quick ridiculous read, then this will fit the bill.
Uroš
Fluidly written - kind of reminds me of Pratchett although not as entertaining perhaps. Still a solid read and some witty humor at moments. A good casual read to take your mind off the real world issues. I would recommend this to every Pratchett fan but do no expect the same level.
Hilary
I can't believe I read this from cover-to-cover. I guess I kept waiting for the "good part" to happen -- you know, the part that made the editor(s) say, we should kill thousands of trees and print this wonderful book. Blick.
Sharon Malcolm
Silly. Silly fun. And mostly clean and simply written, but with the occasional phrase which made me think, oh, maybe not suitable for my 10 yr old son, eg mermaids "putting out" for pirates, etc.
Pirate
This was a silly book that was so much fun to read. If you like pirates or silliness, you should pick it up. If you make movies, please consider this little book for your next pirate flick?
Mo
Jun 12, 2012 Mo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mo by: suzanne gardner
This book was awesome. The movie that was based on this book was also awesome. A rare find. Like a Prize Ham.
Brittneigh
This is probably the stupidest book I've read in a long time and I LOVED EVERY THING ABOUT IT!
Margaret
I so wanted to like this book, maybe I will pick it up again in the future and have another go.
Bethany
Complete nonsense but i enjoyed it lots! A humorous & entertaining little book..
Gabriel
"The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists" is a book full of adventure and witty humor. It makes fun of all the pirate cliches. A crew of pirates go exploring the seas looking for treasure. They bump into Charles Darwin who is on a quest to show how chimps can be like humans. This ends up turing into one big hilarious adventure.

A text to world connection I have is between the pirates in the book and the pirates that exist in the real world. These pirates are alike because the pirates from
Antof9
This was pretty entertaining! It was nothing like I expected, and really fun for a quick read. I've been looking for a fun book for our book club's book exchange, and this is exactly the right book for the person whose name I drew :)

From the Pirate Captain with the luxuriant and glossy beard to Charles Darwin, this book has it all -- adventures at high sea, monkeys, pretty girls, and ham! Even the footnotes in this book are entertaining. I think my friend is going to like this.

My favorite part,
What's The Name o...: Pig and Pirate Book [s] 5 25 Feb 26, 2014 01:14AM
  • The Doomsday Machine: A Further Astonishing Adventure of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #3)
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Mister Creecher
  • Tank Girl: The Gifting
  • Wolf Blood
  • Echo Boy
  • Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Sausages
  • Uncle
  • The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story
  • Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)
  • Tales from the Clerks: The Complete Collection of Comic Stories!
  • Giraffes? Giraffes! (With 5 Giraffe Information Cards)
  • Chocolate SOS (Jess Jordan, #6)
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Death: A Life
  • Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed
Gideon Defoe never meant to become an author. When Defoe bumped into a woman he had pursued during his time studying archaeology and anthropology at Oxford, they began chatting about what they were up to. Realising that his job temping for Westminster council was not going to win him any romantic points, he told her that he was writing a novel. She asked to see it, at which point he found that he ...more
More about Gideon Defoe...
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists & The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon The Pirates! in an Adventure with the Romantics

“That explains a lot,' he said. 'I suppose it's also why we've never glimpsed that giant compass in the corner of the Atlantic. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.” 17 likes
“I should say we’d reach England by Tuesday or thereabouts, with a decent wind behind us. It would be a lot quicker than that if we could just sail straight there, but I was looking at the nautical charts, and there’s a dirty great sea serpent right in the middle of the ocean! It has a horrible gaping maw and one of those scaly tails that looks like it could snap a boat clean in two. So I thought it best to sail around that.’

FitzRoy frowned. ‘I think they just draw those on maps to add a bit of decoration. It doesn’t actually mean there’s a sea serpent there.’

The galley went rather quiet. A few of the pirate crew stared intently out of the portholes, embarrassed at their Captain’s mistake. But to everyone’s relief, instead of running somebody through, the Pirate Captain just narrowed his eyes thoughtfully.

That explains a lot,’ he said. ‘I suppose it’s also why we’ve never glimpsed that giant compass in the corner of the Atlantic. I have to say, I’m a little disappointed.”
13 likes