Something Wicked This Way Comes & A Sound of Thunder

Something Wicked This Way Comes & A Sound of Thunder

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  52 reviews

In Bradbury’s unforgettable modern Gothic masterpiece, Something Wicked This Way Comes, something evil arrives in a small Midwestern town on the crest of the wind one autumn night. A “dark carnival” with frightening attractions and supernatural characters sets up stakes. It is up to two thirteen-year-old boys, James Nightshade and William Holloway, to figure out a way to s

Audio CD, Library edition, 8 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by Blackstone Audio (first published September 1st 2005)

Shellie (Layers of Thought)

2nd Witch: By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes. [Knocking:] Open locks, Whoever knocks! [Enter Macbeth:]
Macbeth: How now, you secret, black, and midnight hags!
What is't you do? (Macbeth Act 4, scene 1, 44–49)

Summary:
This classic fantasy/horror tale was originally published in 1963. It revolves around Will Halloway and Jim Nightshade whom are the best of friends and live next door to one another. They are inseparable with Will being the down to earth easy going boy and...more
aPriL meows, scratches and growls
Dark is truly a scary monster. I cannot think of a more horrifying image than skin being covered with crawling, squirming images that seethe and move deeper under the flesh and surge out in the next moment. One spider crawling up my arm is enough to give me a fit. In movies, an illuminated man usually is pictured as a tattooed man - but that is not what Bradbury created here. This being's skin literally crawls around because of multitudes of images being alive. (Plus, Dark enslaves souls because...more
Douglas  Donaldson
I cannot imagine a better book for a father and, say, his teenage or even adult son to read togther and discuss. Try this question: what is this "something wicked"? Set in rural Illinois, after the war to end all wars, a father lives with his hidden disillusions and personal failures, while all the while trying to keep the magic and trust alive in his son. (The spirit of this is very much like William Stafford's poem, "To Kit On the Beach, Age 7.")

The father is the town librarian: an outward ma...more
M.J. Heiser
Exceptionally spooky and filled with the ghouls and monsters of your deepest nightmares, Something Wicked This Way Comes is one of Ray Bradbury's masterpieces for a reason. The themes are epic: the innocence and potential of youth are forced into combat with spiritual and moral corruption. Freedom is brought up against indentured servitude. In the simplest terms, good is pitted against evil. The halls of this madhouse are decorated with Bradbury's eternally capable and magical prose, and instead...more
Courtney
Two boys, close friends but different as night and day, have left summer behind and have begrudgingly started a new year of school. One fall night, in the wee hours, a carnival comes to town...something about it doesn't seem quite right, and something creepy is happening to the townspeople.

This book is a great, quick read - themes of friendship, growing up, the dark side of human nature.
Grace S.
My people, my book-loving people, doesn't each and every one of you have a coveted author whose prose you want to just roll in? You read those words and wish you could physically sink down into them, draw them around yourself like you cling to your nice warm blankets right before your alarm clock goes off?

I want to sink into Ray Bradbury's writing and roll in it.

It's certainly stylized, which I usually don't go for, but the language is so beautifully simple. He's not blinding you with SAT word...more
Andrea
This is one of my all-time favorites. It's a beautifully written story about two best friends and what happens to them when a carnival comes to their small town. It was an intense, moving, frightening read. Ray Bradbury is at the top of his game here.
CJ

I’ve been meaning to read this book for some time and now that I have, I’m so glad I did. I recognized the title from William Shakespeare's Macbeth ("By the pricking of my thumbs / Something wicked this way comes.”) and had heard the same phrase used in other popular media such as Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Eventually, I finally gave in to curiosity and just had to read this book.

Something Wicked This Way Comes is a novel by Ray Bradbury that follows the adventures of two 14 year-...more
Joe Hunt
Okay! So I read this book like Middle School. (He was my favorite, then! I learned it from my mother.)

I even taught it one time. When? I'm not sure. Not L.A., 2001. Then, Fahrenheit 451. But sometime. (Maybe just a long-term sub. job.)

Anyhow, I'm reading it as a book-on-tape right now!

I was thinking...I'm writing some book right now. But I realized some of it I must have got inspired subconsciously by So.g Wicked. Slightly similar.

So, on one hand, you want to stay as far away as possible fr/ som...more
Jamie Fessenden
Some of the most beautifully written prose I've ever read, this story is truly a work of art. It also points out the difference between literary fiction -- which this is -- and popular fiction. Readers of popular fiction (which is what I write and I'm certainly not putting it down) expect things to move along quickly and don't enjoy chewing on dense poetic descriptions. I've seen some reviews of this novel, which make that clear. But Bradbury is a master wordsmith, and writers can learn a lot fr...more
Juergen John Roscher
Review of "Something Wicked This Way Comes"

Review of "A Sound of Thunder"
I gave this short story a rating of three stars.

I listened to Ray Bradbury’s short story, “A Sound of Thunder” in conjunction with his novel, “Something Wicked This Way Comes”. I have enjoyed other Bradbury stories such as “Fahrenheit 451” and “Martian Chronicles”, and was hoping that I would enjoy this story. Of Bradbury’s books that I have read this is the shortest and my least favorite because it did not have much plot o...more
Tyler Bray
In order to get in the mood for Halloween, I bought this audiobook and listened to it before I went to bed or whenever I drove. I have read Bradbury before in High School through Fahrenheit 451 but it has been a while.

In order to set a scene, Bradbury was very descriptive almost to the point where I felt as if I was getting nowhere in the story. About halfway through the book however, something clicked and I fell in love with his narrative style and his imagery was fantastic.

The story follows...more
Perrin Pring
This was my first Bradbury book. I appreciated the 'sci-fi' of the book, i.e. the demonic carnival, the dust witch, the merry-go-round, etc. I wasn't so into most of Bradbury's descriptions. If I were to divide writing styles into only two camps, those camps would be:

Concise. Very little adverbs and adjectives. Short sentences, i.e. Hemingway.

Verbose. Long sentences. Lost of adjectives, adverbs and power verbs (i.e. "NO!" He spat angrily) and long sentences. I.e. Bradbury.

Some of Bradbury's des...more
Steven Brandt
By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Three o’clock in the morning is an hour for young boys. Their parents fast asleep in their beds, it is an hour for explorations, and secret things. Thirteen year olds William Holloway and Jim Nightshade are no exception, but on one particular three a.m. excursion in the month of October, also a magical time for boys, the two adventurers find that some secrets are better left undisturbed.

It is on this particular autumn night that the D...more
Apr 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: EVERYBODY!
Recommended to Jennifer by: Stephen King (not personally)
Shelves: read-2008
A Sound of Thunder: You know how every once in awhile, you read (or watch) something in which the end causes your stomach to jump into your throat as if you were on a steep, steep roller coaster? Well, I had that experience when I was in 5th grade, reading a story about how some kids go back in time to see dinosaurs, and one of them steps off the path, and when they come back, he is horrified to find that things are almost, but not quite the same - and then finds a smooshed butterfly on his shoe...more
(This is only a review of Something Wicked This Way Comes. Please add one half star.)

Bradbury's tale of adolescence and aging, curiosity and fear is poetic and frightening, frequently at the same time. Will and Jim, two teenagers, are fascinated when a circus rolls into their small town, so they creep out to investigate it before opening day. And they make an awful discovery that sets the story in motion.

As they uncover more mysteries and more grotesque characters, the boys are always walking a...more
Bruce
At hour of three in the morning Cooger & Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show slips into Green Town, Illinois. Will Halloway and his best friend Jim Nightshade have awaited its arrival with both trepidation and anticipation. Late October is an unusual time of year for carnival to visit town. Visiting the carnival the next day they meet one of their seventh-grade teachers, Miss Foley. Miss Foley becomes disoriented after entering the Mirror Maze. When she comes out she’s babbling about a little gir...more
Beckiezra
I read this book years ago but I couldn't recall much about it, just that I'd been left with a really tickled feeling. I never recaptured that this time. I don't know if it was because I'm older now or because I was listening this time instead of reading.
Dana Salman
Note: this review is only for "A Sound Of Thunder"
Review in the least amount of words: Poor butterfly.

I got scared when I reached the end of this story, don't know why. Ray Bradbury's a genius, he thought of everything. But I would've thought, given the chain-reaction example given by Travis, time-travel would've been considered too dangerous. I still don't understand how the death of one butterfly could've caused people to forget how to spell and the change in the presidental election, but I gu...more
Maria
I struggled listening to this book, I found myself stopping after each chapter to digest it. I'm not a big fan of Ray Bradbury so I was surprised at how much I liked this one.

I loved that Will's father believed him when Will and Jim their story.

P.S. The Disney movie was dated. The special effects from 1982 did not stand the test of time. Not to mention that they changed the ending from the book. I liked the book's ending much more.
Steffen
May 29, 2013 Steffen marked it as to-read
Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradury is an interesting tale of boy named Will Halloway and friends Jim Nightshade. This book is good for many genres but i chose to put it under horror. It has a mix of metaphors and similies and over all a very confusing story. I had to read the book twice and watch the movie before i understood the book. What happens when a storm shows up to town...Read the book and find out.
Tracy
Ray Bradbury has such an amazing vocabulary that you find yourself almost one of the characters in the story. Something Wicked This Way Comes is the stuff of nightmares.
The Sound of Thunder is a short story but makes a good case for the theory that a butterfly flaps it's wings in Australia and creates a tornado in North America.
Katie
This is a fantastic read! I must say that this book isn't for everybody though. There are a lot of hidden meanings in the book that you need to make yourself aware of. It is a great story between young Will Halloway and Jim Nightshade. Shows the friendship between them two and the complex relationship between Will and his father.
Donna
This story looks at Good Versus Evil. What evil feeds on and how evil can win if you let it.

I liked the book better than the movie. The desires that are deep within people can have a big effect on what happens to them if they let Mr. Dark get to them. I like the 2 boys struggle with Dr. Dark and the witch.

Karissa
Loved this audio version but Bradbury's language is so poetic, I found myself wanting a book so I could re-read many of the descriptions. A scary read, recommended for fall/Halloween. The audio also comes with a short story "Sound of Thunder" on the last disc. Jurassic Park...Bradbury was way ahead of his time.
Nannie Bittinger
"A Sound of Thunder" was much more the sort of story I could enjoy than "Something Wicked...". Love time travel fiction and Bradbury's ability to make words create a scene or a feeling is wonderful and poetic. I'd give the short story alone a 4 but just didn't care for the main title of this collection at all.
Brian
Even after the "good guys" won, this book left me feeling creeped out. Very scary and very evil - I'm not letting my kids read this one until they are in high school at least. I also didn't appreciate Bradbury's choice of vocabulary - do the characters really need to use profanity to express their fright?
Katharine Grubb Hawkinson
Feb 26, 2009 Katharine Grubb Hawkinson rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: boys, thrill seekers, circus lovers
Listened to on CD, but probably would have liked it better on paper. Just not into the story or characters at all. I should probably try again. Now that I think about it though, I usually am not that interested in books that set around a Carnival or Circus.
Brian Salyards
I've always been curious about these famous titles. The novel was very creepy, but a bit verbose at times. Still, I can see why it's considered a classic. The short story left me wondering. It's a great idea, but I felt the result lacked imagination.
Kate Mowery
I *loved* Stefan Rudinicki as a reader for Ender's Game, but I am really struggling with him as a reader for this book. He's too grandiose. Someone like Tom Stechschulte I think would work better.

Love the book, hate the audiobook.
  • The Copper Bracelet
  • The Man in the Black Suit: 4 Dark Tales
  • Ravens in the Library - Magic in the Bard's Name
  • The Sunless Countries (Virga, #4)
  • Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie, Vol. 1)
  • The Midnight Folk
  • The Softwire: Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3
  • The Slaves' War: The Civil War in the Words of Former Slaves
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • Hour of the Wolf (Steam and Stone Saga 1)
  • Circle Of Five (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #1)
  • The Robe Of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Last Supper (Paul Christopher #5)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, Volume 1: Frontier Stories
  • Shoggoth's Old Peculiar
  • Buddhism for Busy People: Finding Happiness in an Uncertain World
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine

“Out in the world not much happened. But here in the special night, a land bricked with paper and leather anything might happen, always did. ” 8 likes
“First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys. Not that all months aren't rare. But one strange year, halloween came early....don't you ditch me jim nightshade...don't talk death. Someone might hear...” 5 likes