Start by marking “Iron Axe (The Books of Blood and Iron, #1)” as Want to Read:
Iron Axe (The Books of Blood and Iron, #1)

Iron Axe (The Books of Blood and Iron #1)

In this brand new series from the author of the Clockwork Empire series, a hopeless outcast must answer Death’s call and embark on an epic adventure....

Although Danr’s mother was human, his father was one of the hated Stane, a troll from the mountains. Now Danr has nothing to look forward to but a life of disapproval and mistrust, answering to “Trollboy” and condemned to h
Published January 6th 2015 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Iron Axe, please sign up.

Steven Harper Yes. Elves, orcs, trolls, dwarfs, and others play major roles in the book.

Yamini
Jan 31, 2015 Yamini rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff
Because of the lack of hype around this book, I had no expectation going into this book. So this was quite the surprise because I ended up really liking this book.

The book starts off a little rough but smooths out as you move forward. It took me a while to get into it because, although I expected this to be an Adult fantasy novel, I didn’t expect it to be as gritty as something similar to A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. The fantasy world seems more like a dystopian sincethere isn’
Anduril81
Oct 20, 2016 Anduril81 rated it liked it
Has a sort of "grown-up fairy tale" vibe happening. Very clear influence in Norse mythology in terms of setting - all the classical races, a World-Tree with dimensional nexus properties, clear parallels to the Aesir pantheon (though no Thor expy - weird). Some changes, with the addition of orcs (not all Chaotic Evil, and the most distinctive racial reinterpretation), trolls (much brighter and more moral than usual), and light elves straight out of Pratchett's "Lords and Ladies". Actually, even ...more
Ashley
May 27, 2015 Ashley rated it did not like it
I'm always hesitant to review books that I really didn't like. No matter your opinion, books are written by real people who really do read reviews, after all.

So in the interest of that, I'm going to start with the good. If you liked Skyrim, you'll probably dig this book. The worldbuilding is very Bethesda-esque, actually. From trolls to orcs to fairies/elves to dragons, there are quite a few parallels. Even the magical system of transportation--Twisting--works just like fast traveling. Some of
Peggy
Mar 30, 2015 Peggy rated it liked it
This was a fast read for me, till the end where it slowed down. Thought the main character Danr was good, being half troll/half human and being mocked for what he is. Really like how he made friends with the misfits in the book. Some areas in the book could of been better explained or had further development. When the second book comes out I will check it out.
Sharyl
Feb 17, 2015 Sharyl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I immediately had empathy for the main character. A different genre of book than I usually read, relaxing , but gripping enough to maintain that "just HAVE to keep reading" joy. I was very deep into the book when I found myself forgetting the fact that I know this author personally. I would read it again but I am waiting for the second book. Harping about it daily.
Craig
Feb 17, 2015 Craig rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Read 3/4, didn't care enough to finish. Not horrible, but some silly plotting and shallow characters.
Bonnie_blu
Oct 23, 2016 Bonnie_blu rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Barely 3 Stars. I've read a lot of fantasy, but I will not be reading any more in this series. I found the characters one-dimensional, the plot predictable, and the denouement totally unrealistic, even for a fantasy novel. This could have been a wonderful story, but instead it was boring and rather ridiculous.

SPOILERS: In fact, this read as a man's "fantasy" of being the hero, getting the girl, overcoming all odds, but without having to pay any kind of serious price. All of the major characters
Shaitarn .
Oct 02, 2016 Shaitarn . rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I made it to just over halfway through this book before giving up. This book really isn't bad enough for me to give it just one star - it has some decent world-building and an interesting plot premise - but it's written in a painfully basic way and the characters are (to me at least) uninteresting - I couldn't bring myself to care about them, and I'm afraid that always kills a book for me.

I know other people love this book and that's good, but it's not for me.
Bridgette
Apr 20, 2016 Bridgette rated it liked it
Iron Axe is the first book in a newish epic fantasy series. Readers follow Danr, an indentured servant to a farmer who also happens to be half troll and half human. His heritage makes him an outcast with no friends besides Aisa and Talfi. Aisa is a slave who has been sexually abused by her masters for a long time. Talfi is a guy about Danr's age living with a Good Samaritan that Talfi calls Uncle Orfandell.

Strange things start to happen in and around Danr's village. A nearby farm is attacked by
Evey Brett
Feb 20, 2015 Evey Brett rated it it was amazing
IRON AXE is a fantastic start to a new series. A Quest fantasy refreshingly set in a non-British fantasy world, it also features traditional fantasy races in not-so-traditional ways. Yes, the elves are beautiful, but there is far more to them than meets the eye, and the trolls aren't just big, ugly stupid creatures.

Although it's a YA, it's fairly dark and has the characters dealing with various sorts of abuse, but because of Harper's deft handling of the subject matter, the characters, major and
Tim Stevens
Feb 09, 2015 Tim Stevens rated it really liked it
An enjoyable novel, less dense than most modern adult fantasy and with young adult leanings. The young adult characters are likeable and engaging, and their relationships are both believable and interesting. The Norse based culture is well done, and frees the novel of that generic fantasy whiff that is all too common, despite its use of traditional fantasy races.

The antagonists are not fleshed out, which is a shame - for me there is a obvious character who could have easily been shifted to the v
Kurt
Nov 28, 2015 Kurt rated it liked it
I liked how the author switched up the roles of Trolls and Elves. The elves were still beautiful and regal, but that did not make them inherently good. Same with the Trolls, being big and ugly, but not necessarily evil.

Some of the story line was predictable, the climax wasn't that climatic. I'm not sure if this was the author's first book, but it felt like it. It had potential, but a tenured author could have done a better job. This was a good first book in a series. I'll probably read the othe
Jeff
Jan 13, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-fantasy
Wow.... just, wow!!!!

This was an amazing first novel and I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series. Although I have an interest in Viking Age history, I rarely find Viking-flavoured fantasy to be that interesting. This novel, on the other hand, had me hooked from page one right until the end.

A half-troll thrall discovers his destiny and becomes a hero. I particularly liked the author's version of Orcs, Trolls, and Elves. I look forward to see more of this world.
Tim Lee
Oct 26, 2015 Tim Lee rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I won a review copy on Goodreads and new nothing about the book or author when I started it. Now I cant wait for book 2 in Dec 2015. Great read, great characters and moves fast and cant say enough good things about finding a new author that I highly recommend if you like fantasy books!!!
Carol
Jan 26, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
Interesting story. The plethora of characters made me afraid the book would be confusing but the bok proved me wrong. The story and characters were pulled together nicely. I would recommend it to my friends and family.
Daniel
Feb 08, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
A fantasy told from the other side. About a half troll that saves the world. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This does what a similar type book, Grunts, does but without the poor attempts at humor. Worth a read for any fantasy enthusiast.
Gyasi
Jun 25, 2015 Gyasi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
The main character is moronic, which is only made worse by the author repeatedly explaining that he isn't a moron.

The book never strays from the genre specific sandbox and doesn't do anything overly note worthy.

Overall, I will probably give the next book a go.
Scott Waldie
Aug 21, 2016 Scott Waldie rated it liked it
The setup and world building for the first hundred or so pages were great, but then when it transitioned into the quest fantasy I found it slightly less appealing. Still, solid first volume and I'll probably read the second at some point.
Mike
Oct 06, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: public-library
I just hate that it takes me so long to finish a book. I believe had I read this in say two weeks I would have enjoyed it more. Instead, because it has been 5 weeks, I felt it was sluggish, repetitive and utilitarian. My opinion of course is subject to my own speed handicap. Pooey
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Jed Heron
Jed Heron rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Shez
Shez rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Brannigan
Brannigan rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Jason Arends
Jason Arends rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Kyle Zora
Kyle Zora rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Lyricsninja
Lyricsninja rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
aaron below
aaron below rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Trev933gmail.com
Trev933gmail.com rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2015
Jim King
Jim King rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Immortal Throne (The City, #2)
  • The Bloodbound (Bloodbound, #1)
  • The Shadow of Elysium (The Shadow Campaigns #2.5)
  • Swords and Scoundrels (Duelists Trilogy, #1)
  • Elisha Barber (The Dark Apostle, #1)
  • The Reaver (The Sundering, #4)
  • The Grand Crusade (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #3)
  • Madness in Solidar (Imager Portfolio, #9)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • The Shards of Heaven (The Shards of Heaven #1)
  • A Mage in the Making (The Chronicles of Grimm Dragonblaster, #1)
  • Elfsorrow (Legends of the Raven, #1)
  • The Cipher (Crosspointe Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sheltered City
  • Firebrand (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • Lex Trent Versus the Gods (Lex Trent, #1)
  • Pork

The Books of Blood and Iron (3 books)
  • Blood Storm (The Books of Blood and Iron, #2)
  • Bone War (The Books of Blood and Iron #3)