Start by marking “The Me Nobody Knew: A Story of Triumph for All Girls (Single Titles)” as Want to Read:
The Me Nobody Knew: A Story of Triumph for All Girls (Single Titles)

The Me Nobody Knew: A Story of Triumph for All Girls (Single Titles)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The author describes her struggles with depression, concerns about family, friends, dating, body image, and the difficulties of being a teenage girl.
Mass Market, 144 pages
Published June 1st 1998 by Lerner Publications Company (first published March 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Me Nobody Knew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Me Nobody Knew

Chrystal
This is a book I have read over and over again. It's fantastic.. the things McLinden talks about are so insane you wouldn't believe they actually happened to her. She is an incredible writer and an incredible survivor. I first read this book in the seventh grade and I've read many times since [in multiple copies might I add.. thank you for losing my second copy Mrs. Minich:]
Courtney
the me nobody knew
Shannon McLinden
First Avenue Editions, an imprint of Lerner Publishing, 1998, 140 pages, $5.95
Non-fiction, Self-esteem, Depression, Teenage Girls, Achievement, Adolescents
ISBN # 0822526883

Shannon is a 13-year-old girl who is suffering with depression, eating disorders, social inequality, and everything else that could be problematic for a teenage girl. She almost attempts suicide and engages in other self-destructive behaviors. She alienates herself from her family. She sees th
Gina
Middle school is a tough time and this book definitely speaks to that. However, this book feels more like a first draft than a completed story. I hungered for more. The characters were just names on a page-- they had no depth and were very forgettable. It was a quick read and I was able to complete it in one sitting which was good as nothing about the book would have inspired me to pick it up and read it again. 2.5 stars.
Julia
So far I like this book.

Those so called "friends" of hers act exactly how my friends do/did.

It's just good to know that other people have been through what I have when dealing with not so good people. Can't wait to read more to see how her relationships with them develop.

She was a complete brat to her parents and even if she did get straight A's she seemed to completely lack any common sense.

Kids like her make me angry. She has a great life but dwells on stuff that is her fault. Sad really. I
Anwar
Fast paced. A good book for growing up, i think all girls should read no matter what their age.
Erika
Dec 08, 2013 Erika rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I didn't really understand the plot of this book because to put it simply, nothing really happened. The main character Shannon was depressed about her life for no particular reason, as she was popular, had many friends, and had a secure home with parents who loved her. However, towards the end, the motivational "it gets better" messages were quite inspirational. Knowing that many teens are in Shannon's position of being depressed and suicidal, this book would definitely help them in getting thei ...more
Lenae
About a teen girl who was always depressed for absolutely no reason. Finally she realized after a night of boozing with the friends and almost stepping in front of a moving car, that she'd clean up her act. One day she woke up happy and continued life in a better tune.
Chantal
I loved this book. It shows the true realities of trying to fit in and what some girls will do to actually fit in. I see girls like this all the time...its so sad. but this book not only shows her hitting rock bottom but picking herself up agian
Diana
Good story.

Honest, and (at least to me) not infused with optimistic lies about the world.

Her opinions on the world, were quite true, and I admired how she was now after all that trouble.

Definite recommendation.
Kali Williams
Super good book, I couldn't put it down I related to it and it also gave me a new perspective on things and motivated me to seek help with my recovery. I'd recommend it to anyone going through this sort of thing!
Jill
Easy to read with themes that teens can relate to, but the exploration of the themes is so superficial that most teens would probably be disappointed. I know I was. Great potential, squandered.
Maria
This was an ok book i liked how she got better and everything but i felt that it was to rushed.
Carolyn
Great book for my 12 yo to read!
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Fung Miki
Fung Miki marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Mel
Mel added it
Jun 25, 2015
Allie Frahm
Allie Frahm marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Nzurimalkia
Nzurimalkia marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Selena Sanchez
Selena Sanchez marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
  • Roses and Bones: Myths, Tales, and Secrets
  • Eve's Apple: A Novel
  • The Sunset Strip Diaries
  • Finding Mia
  • Connecting (Lily Dale, #3)
  • Alice in Time
  • Bound to You
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • Shadow Life: A Portrait of Anne Frank and Her Family
  • Just Wacky
  • Alice in the Looking Glass: A Mother and Daughter's Experience of Anorexia
  • Dan Eldon: Safari as a Way of Life
  • Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder
  • I'm Not Crazy Just Bipolar: A Memoir