How To Make Webcomics

How To Make Webcomics

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For years young, creative men and women have dreamed about making a living from their comic strips. But until recently their only avenue of success was through a syndicate or publisher. Now more and more cartoonists are doing it on their own and self-publishing their comic strips on the web. With the right amount of work, knowledge, and luck, so, too, can you. Scott Kurtz...more
Graphic Novel, 195 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Image Comics (first published January 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How To Make Webcomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Make Webcomics

Amy M
Dec 04, 2013 Amy M marked it as to-read
I've taken this book out from the library, and it looks like a fantastic resource. I am not yet at a stage where I could produce web comics though, so I will have to come back to it. For now I will have to stick with my dummy books about how to start drawing comics first.
John Kirk
This book fills a fairly unique niche: there are lots of books which give advice on writing/drawing comics, but this is much more about the logistics of running a webcomic as a business. Personally, I just make my own comics as a hobby, and I don't intend to do it for a living, but I'm interested to see how other people handle it. For instance, if you get your comic published, where are you going to store the books until they're sold? As Dave Kellett says, "A batch of books have the charm of bot...more
Shark
Jun 27, 2008 Shark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists and studiers of art/business
I mostly liked this book for the artistic insights and reasonings behind webcomics. Two of the four authors are webcomic creators whose work I follow regularly, and it was fun seeing them interact and teach what they have learned.

That being said, there are two reasons this didn't get a full five stars (in fact, I'd probably give it 3.5 if it were an option):

1) Sloppy editing. Typos left and right in the book made it so that I had to do a lot of re-reading to make sure I was understanding what wa...more
Tracie
A must read for anyone that is planning on creating, updating and running a webcomic. This book has a lot of good information about the design of the website, the nuts and bolts of comic layout and image layout and lots of ideas on how to interact with the audience of the webcomic. I wish it had more advertising ideas though. The gentlemen who wrote the book also do a podcast at Wecomics Weekly that is terrific. They run some of the most popular webcomics on the internet and have great ideas and...more
Cherish
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It was reccommended by Goodreads and I decided to reserve it at my local library and give it a read. Surprisingly it felt a lot more than a book. While reading, it felt that I was sitting with each of them or all of them in either a restaurant or the park, while they are explaining each part of the book. The concept of how each of the artists had a chapter to talk about each section of about web-comic was awesome. Also I loved the quotes that were revealed in some of the pages....more
Brendan Creecy
This is an essential read if you are remotely interested in making a webcomic. When Phil and I got this book, we sort of had an idea of what we wanted to do. Within a week of reading it, Brax was up and running. 3 years later we are still going strong and we just published our first book. We owe pretty much all of it to the practical advice and the encouragement this book and its authors provide.
Blake Winton
I've been listening to the (now-defunct) Webcomics Weekly podcast for years and the hosts' humour and camaraderie comes through very nicely in book-form. I'm not planning on starting my own webcomic, but many of the lessons are applicable to anyone considering starting a small business, and the ones that aren't are interesting and amusingly presented.
Evad
This book is full of information and has really been helpful. It doesn't spend much time addressing the art creation end of things. Instead it focuses more on how to do everything after you've actually created your strip.

I find myself looking to this book repeatedly for reference.
Catspaw
Great book. To be honest, I only read it because Dave and Scott were involved - for me kind of like reading a book on space shuttle maintenance: interesting, but not really applicable to my life. *grin*
Child960801
Technical and inspiring. Some of it is necessarily out of date, but it is still full of lots of really important things to think about and to do.
Brandon
Superbly written overview of webcomics and their production. A must read if you're interested in starting one (like me.)
Dave
Excellent book on how to make webcomics (what else?). I come back to it often for reference.
Brandon
quite a bit. lots of confirmations, as well. fun read. simply put. but…needs to be re-edited.
Mark Poe
Jan 12, 2009 Mark Poe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new cartoonists
Very detailed information on what to do from ever aspect of the publication of webcomics.
Michelle Scharlock
Invaluable information for anyone who wants to start their own webcomic. :)
Morbus Iff
Useful for any regular, community-based endeavor.
Liz Staley
Great beginner's guide to making comics!
Daniel
Comments coming soon...
Alan
Dec 18, 2010 Alan added it
Second reading.
Karla
Quite useful :D
Mykola
Mykola marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
dieMandy
dieMandy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Patrick Bell ii
Patrick Bell ii marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Jason Parker
Jason Parker marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Timothy Bush
Timothy Bush marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Amine
Amine marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Jeff Gnatek
Jeff Gnatek marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • Krazy Kat: The Comic Art of George Herriman
  • Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What They Mean
  • Creative Illustration
  • Kirby: King of Comics
  • Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book
  • The Art And Flair Of Mary Blair: An Appreciation
  • Super Boys: The Amazing Adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster--the Creators of Superman
  • Writing for Comics, Vol. 1
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
Evil Inc. Annual Report Volume 1 Evil Inc. Annual Report Volume 2 Phables: Who Needs Trees When You Have Green Awnings? (And Other Stories About Life in Philadelphia) Evil Inc Annual Report Vol. 5 Evil Inc Annual Report: Vol. 4