Start by marking “How To Make Webcomics” as Want to Read:
How To Make Webcomics

How To Make Webcomics

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  22 reviews
For years young, creative men and women have dreamed about making a living from their comic strips. But until recently their only avenue of success was through a syndicate or publisher. Now more and more cartoonists are doing it on their own and self-publishing their comic strips on the web. With the right amount of work, knowledge, and luck, so, too, can you. Scott Kurtz ...more
Graphic Novel, 195 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Image Comics (first published January 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How To Make Webcomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Make Webcomics

Making Comics by Scott McCloudUnderstanding Comics by Scott McCloudDrawing Words and Writing Pictures by Jessica AbelMastering Comics by Jessica AbelWriting for Comics, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore
How to Make Comics
9th out of 36 books — 14 voters
Cartooning by Ivan BrunettiLa novela gráfica by Santiago GarcíaR. Crumb by Robert CrumbSupercómic by Santiago GarcíaBreve historia del cómic by Gerardo Vilches
Prosas sobre cómics
11th out of 16 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Daniel
First and most importantly, I believe the advice is solid. This book is written with the clear understanding that the web is a delivery medium, not a format or genre. I think the authors successfully navigate the balancing act between fundamental advice for the ages and relevant practical advice for the web as a platform. The advice on writing and drawing could be given to a newspaper cartoonist from 1970, the audience interaction advice could easily apply to a musician with a strong web presenc ...more
Ted Henkle
How to Make Webcomics is a collaborative how-to manual written by four webcartoonists--

--Brad Guigar, author of Evil Inc. and editor-in-chief of Webcomics.com;

--Dave Kellett, author of Sheldon;

--Scott Kurtz, author of pVp; and

--Kris Straub, author of Starslip.

I found How to Make Webcomics informative and entertaining, which made it enjoyable to read. Especially since the term "enjoyable" is something I normally don't associate with how-to manuals.

The book is divided into 13 chapters cov
John Kirk
This book fills a fairly unique niche: there are lots of books which give advice on writing/drawing comics, but this is much more about the logistics of running a webcomic as a business. Personally, I just make my own comics as a hobby, and I don't intend to do it for a living, but I'm interested to see how other people handle it. For instance, if you get your comic published, where are you going to store the books until they're sold? As Dave Kellett says, "A batch of books have the charm of bot ...more
Shark
Jun 27, 2008 Shark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists and studiers of art/business
I mostly liked this book for the artistic insights and reasonings behind webcomics. Two of the four authors are webcomic creators whose work I follow regularly, and it was fun seeing them interact and teach what they have learned.

That being said, there are two reasons this didn't get a full five stars (in fact, I'd probably give it 3.5 if it were an option):

1) Sloppy editing. Typos left and right in the book made it so that I had to do a lot of re-reading to make sure I was understanding what wa
Tracie
A must read for anyone that is planning on creating, updating and running a webcomic. This book has a lot of good information about the design of the website, the nuts and bolts of comic layout and image layout and lots of ideas on how to interact with the audience of the webcomic. I wish it had more advertising ideas though. The gentlemen who wrote the book also do a podcast at Wecomics Weekly that is terrific. They run some of the most popular webcomics on the internet and have great ideas and ...more
review to come
Cherish
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It was reccommended by Goodreads and I decided to reserve it at my local library and give it a read. Surprisingly it felt a lot more than a book. While reading, it felt that I was sitting with each of them or all of them in either a restaurant or the park, while they are explaining each part of the book. The concept of how each of the artists had a chapter to talk about each section of about web-comic was awesome. Also I loved the quotes that were revealed in some of the pages.
Brendan Creecy
This is an essential read if you are remotely interested in making a webcomic. When Phil and I got this book, we sort of had an idea of what we wanted to do. Within a week of reading it, Brax was up and running. 3 years later we are still going strong and we just published our first book. We owe pretty much all of it to the practical advice and the encouragement this book and its authors provide.
Blake Winton
I've been listening to the (now-defunct) Webcomics Weekly podcast for years and the hosts' humour and camaraderie comes through very nicely in book-form. I'm not planning on starting my own webcomic, but many of the lessons are applicable to anyone considering starting a small business, and the ones that aren't are interesting and amusingly presented.
Evad
This book is full of information and has really been helpful. It doesn't spend much time addressing the art creation end of things. Instead it focuses more on how to do everything after you've actually created your strip.

I find myself looking to this book repeatedly for reference.
Catspaw
Great book. To be honest, I only read it because Dave and Scott were involved - for me kind of like reading a book on space shuttle maintenance: interesting, but not really applicable to my life. *grin*
Child960801
Technical and inspiring. Some of it is necessarily out of date, but it is still full of lots of really important things to think about and to do.
Brandon
Superbly written overview of webcomics and their production. A must read if you're interested in starting one (like me.)
Dave
Excellent book on how to make webcomics (what else?). I come back to it often for reference.
Brandon
quite a bit. lots of confirmations, as well. fun read. simply put. but…needs to be re-edited.
Mark Poe
Jan 12, 2009 Mark Poe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new cartoonists
Very detailed information on what to do from ever aspect of the publication of webcomics.
Michelle Scharlock
Invaluable information for anyone who wants to start their own webcomic. :)
Morbus Iff
Useful for any regular, community-based endeavor.
Liz Staley
Great beginner's guide to making comics!
Daniel
Karla
Quite useful :D
Amy M
Jan 01, 2015 Amy M marked it as started
I've taken this book out from the library, and it looks like a fantastic resource. I am not yet at a stage where I could produce web comics though, so I will have to come back to it. For now I will have to stick with my dummy books about how to start drawing comics first.
Francis Foster
Francis Foster marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Tiffani
Tiffani marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Rafi
Rafi marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • Drawing Words and Writing Pictures
  • Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
  • Reinventing Comics: How Imagination and Technology Are Revolutionizing an Art Form
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Cartooning the Head and Figure
  • The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga
  • In the Studio: Visits with Contemporary Cartoonists
  • Creating Characters with Personality
  • Manga Mania Chibi and Furry Characters: How to Draw the Adorable Mini-Characters and Cool Cat-Girls of Manga
  • The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
  • Comic Art Propaganda: A Graphic History
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Fun with a Pencil
  • Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up
Evil Inc Annual Report Volume 1 Evil Inc Annual Report Volume 2 The Webcomics Handbook Phables: Who Needs Trees When You Have Green Awnings? (And Other Stories About Life in Philadelphia) Evil Inc Annual Report: Vol. 3