Start by marking “How To Make Webcomics” as Want to Read:
How To Make Webcomics

How To Make Webcomics

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  364 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
For years young, creative men and women have dreamed about making a living from their comic strips. But until recently their only avenue of success was through a syndicate or publisher. Now more and more cartoonists are doing it on their own and self-publishing their comic strips on the web. With the right amount of work, knowledge, and luck, so, too, can you. Scott Kurtz ...more
Graphic Novel, 195 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Image Comics (first published January 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How To Make Webcomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Make Webcomics

Making Comics by Scott McCloudUnderstanding Comics by Scott McCloudDrawing Words and Writing Pictures by Jessica AbelMastering Comics by Jessica AbelWriting for Comics, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore
How to Make Comics
9th out of 38 books — 17 voters
Imágenes del desencanto by Pedro Perez del SolarCartooning by Ivan BrunettiMemorias ilustradas by Fernando FernándezLa novela gráfica by Santiago GarcíaApuntes par una historia de los tebeos by Antonio Martin
Prosas sobre cómics
19th out of 24 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel
Jan 16, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
First and most importantly, I believe the advice is solid. This book is written with the clear understanding that the web is a delivery medium, not a format or genre. I think the authors successfully navigate the balancing act between fundamental advice for the ages and relevant practical advice for the web as a platform. The advice on writing and drawing could be given to a newspaper cartoonist from 1970, the audience interaction advice could easily apply to a musician with a strong web presenc ...more
Ted Henkle
Feb 18, 2015 Ted Henkle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, comics
How to Make Webcomics is a collaborative how-to manual written by four webcartoonists--

--Brad Guigar, author of Evil Inc. and editor-in-chief of Webcomics.com;

--Dave Kellett, author of Sheldon;

--Scott Kurtz, author of pVp; and

--Kris Straub, author of Starslip.

I found How to Make Webcomics informative and entertaining, which made it enjoyable to read. Especially since the term "enjoyable" is something I normally don't associate with how-to manuals.

The book is divided into 13 chapters cov
John Kirk
Nov 23, 2013 John Kirk rated it liked it
Shelves: creating-comics
This book fills a fairly unique niche: there are lots of books which give advice on writing/drawing comics, but this is much more about the logistics of running a webcomic as a business. Personally, I just make my own comics as a hobby, and I don't intend to do it for a living, but I'm interested to see how other people handle it. For instance, if you get your comic published, where are you going to store the books until they're sold? As Dave Kellett says, "A batch of books have the charm of bot ...more
Shark
Jun 27, 2008 Shark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: artists and studiers of art/business
I mostly liked this book for the artistic insights and reasonings behind webcomics. Two of the four authors are webcomic creators whose work I follow regularly, and it was fun seeing them interact and teach what they have learned.

That being said, there are two reasons this didn't get a full five stars (in fact, I'd probably give it 3.5 if it were an option):

1) Sloppy editing. Typos left and right in the book made it so that I had to do a lot of re-reading to make sure I was understanding what wa
Tracie
Jan 07, 2009 Tracie rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone that is planning on creating, updating and running a webcomic. This book has a lot of good information about the design of the website, the nuts and bolts of comic layout and image layout and lots of ideas on how to interact with the audience of the webcomic. I wish it had more advertising ideas though. The gentlemen who wrote the book also do a podcast at Wecomics Weekly that is terrific. They run some of the most popular webcomics on the internet and have great ideas and ...more
Jan 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
review to come
Cherish
Jun 05, 2014 Cherish rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It was reccommended by Goodreads and I decided to reserve it at my local library and give it a read. Surprisingly it felt a lot more than a book. While reading, it felt that I was sitting with each of them or all of them in either a restaurant or the park, while they are explaining each part of the book. The concept of how each of the artists had a chapter to talk about each section of about web-comic was awesome. Also I loved the quotes that were revealed in some of the pages.
Brendan Creecy
Nov 18, 2011 Brendan Creecy rated it it was amazing
This is an essential read if you are remotely interested in making a webcomic. When Phil and I got this book, we sort of had an idea of what we wanted to do. Within a week of reading it, Brax was up and running. 3 years later we are still going strong and we just published our first book. We owe pretty much all of it to the practical advice and the encouragement this book and its authors provide.
Blake Winton
Sep 01, 2012 Blake Winton rated it it was amazing
I've been listening to the (now-defunct) Webcomics Weekly podcast for years and the hosts' humour and camaraderie comes through very nicely in book-form. I'm not planning on starting my own webcomic, but many of the lessons are applicable to anyone considering starting a small business, and the ones that aren't are interesting and amusingly presented.
Evad
Oct 26, 2009 Evad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is full of information and has really been helpful. It doesn't spend much time addressing the art creation end of things. Instead it focuses more on how to do everything after you've actually created your strip.

I find myself looking to this book repeatedly for reference.
Catspaw
Aug 14, 2009 Catspaw rated it it was amazing
Great book. To be honest, I only read it because Dave and Scott were involved - for me kind of like reading a book on space shuttle maintenance: interesting, but not really applicable to my life. *grin*
Child960801
Jan 28, 2013 Child960801 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, comics
Technical and inspiring. Some of it is necessarily out of date, but it is still full of lots of really important things to think about and to do.
Brandon
Jan 10, 2009 Brandon rated it it was amazing
Superbly written overview of webcomics and their production. A must read if you're interested in starting one (like me.)
Dave
Feb 26, 2009 Dave rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on how to make webcomics (what else?). I come back to it often for reference.
Brandon
Nov 14, 2008 Brandon rated it really liked it
quite a bit. lots of confirmations, as well. fun read. simply put. but…needs to be re-edited.
Mark Poe
Jan 12, 2009 Mark Poe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new cartoonists
Shelves:
Very detailed information on what to do from ever aspect of the publication of webcomics.
Michelle Scharlock
Invaluable information for anyone who wants to start their own webcomic. :)
Morbus Iff
Jan 31, 2011 Morbus Iff rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Useful for any regular, community-based endeavor.
Liz Staley
Sep 11, 2013 Liz Staley rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
Great beginner's guide to making comics!
Daniel
Sep 28, 2010 Karla rated it really liked it
Quite useful :D
Amy M
Jan 01, 2015 Amy M marked it as started
I've taken this book out from the library, and it looks like a fantastic resource. I am not yet at a stage where I could produce web comics though, so I will have to come back to it. For now I will have to stick with my dummy books about how to start drawing comics first.
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Keith Block
Keith Block is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
Gary Nealy, Jr.
Gary Nealy, Jr. rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Herby Shikwambane
Herby Shikwambane marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Ashleigh Davenport
Ashleigh Davenport rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
  • Mastering Comics: Drawing Words & Writing Pictures Continued
  • Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel
  • Cartooning the Head and Figure
  • The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • In the Studio: Visits with Contemporary Cartoonists
  • Manga Mania Chibi and Furry Characters: How to Draw the Adorable Mini-Characters and Cool Cat-Girls of Manga
  • The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga
  • Creating Characters with Personality
  • The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Krazy Kat: The Comic Art of George Herriman
  • Cartoon Animation
Webcomics pioneer Brad Guigar has been doing a daily comic strip since February 2000. Tens of thousands read Evil Inc every day on the Web and in newspapers. He has published over a dozen printed collections of his work, and he has been nominated for an Eisner award — the top honor in the comics industry. And he does it without a syndicate. Without a publisher. And without an editor.

Guigar runs th
More about Brad Guigar...

“It's impossible to get worse at something you do every day.” 0 likes