The Tooth Book

The Tooth Book

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  4,682 ratings  ·  102 reviews
A classic work by Dr. Seuss writing as Theo. LeSieg, with new illustrations by Joe Mathieu, about who has teeth, who doesn't, and how to keep the ones you have!

From the Hardcover Library Binding edition.
Published September 26th 2000 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1981)

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Dr.Seuss
19th out of 24 books — 40 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
To Be Read at Least 5 Times Kinds of Books!
24th out of 66 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
Looks like a Dr. Seuss book, but really isn't. Not the same style or fun. It wasn't just me that noticed it, but my 5 yr old, while reading it himself this morning, noticed it too. Just not one of our favorites, although some of the pictures were pretty silly and made him laugh, like the jellyfish trying to play the trombone. A cute book, but don't be expecting the originality that is Dr. Seuss in this one.
Mimi
This is currently Jill's favorite book. My sister gave it to her less than two weeks ago, and Jill already walks around the house reciting it at random moments. I wish he used a different word than "dumb" near the end, but it honestly is dumb to break your teeth untying knots and removing bottle tops, so I guess it's not that bad. I just don't want Jill to start calling people dumb. She hasn't yet though! And the book does have some really good information about teeth. Mostly though, Jill just t...more
Kaleb
The book is all about a young boy who is learning about teeth. Through out the book he is told all the different types of people and creature that have teeth. Also the boy is told the importance of them once you get your permanent teeth.

The main character is a young boy whose name is not mentioned throughout the book. He is young and does not know a lot about teeth. He learns all about them throughout the book. There are also a bunch of random not important characters. Some of them being a polic...more
Salima Sikandar
This book is about the Teeth. This book is good for the toddlers and the preschoolers. It gives the information about teeth. The pictures are so bright and colorful but it does not have enough information about teeth cleaning, flossing and brushing.

It can be keep on book shelf in the class so the children can see the pictures during reading time.
Columbus
I've been reading the Dr Suess and Theo. LeSieg (Dr. Suess pen name) to an 18 month old and I'm falling in love with this author all over again. I think I'll purchase his catalog (for myself)!
Jessie
Disappointing. For a book about teeth, it didn't mention brushing or flossing, just a general "take care of your teeth" with creepy large-toothed characters.

My biggest complaint about the book was that I didn't appreciate the name-calling examples "don't be stupid like..."
I also didn't like the suggestion to "don't bite your dentist... bite someone else instead"
Ummmm... how about don't bite people! For a book intended to be enjoyed by toddlers/preschoolers, the biting suggestion is ill-placed....more
June
Jul 01, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning chapter requests and teeth requests
Read this after the Kidsmiles person did their stick. One older boy was really excited because he had the book at home and this is the story that got an older girl to move up front.
Kristi
got the board book for baby girl. she loves reading this one, but she loves be read to! i like this one because i work in the dental field so i'm all about teeth! and you gotta love Dr. Seuss!
Sabrina Henry
This book is about teeth. It shares information about various teeth and who and what has teeth. I like the rhymes and the repetition as they can be good in helping children to stay focused and also in enjoying the story. There are some interesting words in this story which can be used to improve children's vocabulary. For example, broadcaster, clam, roast, etc.
The book is very funny and can be used to teach children about rhymes. Great book to use comfort or calm a child on his or her dentist...more
Lynn
My 5 yr old son read this book out loud to me. Although it is an "I-Can-Read" type of book, it is a more advanced version of this type of book. There were a number of words that my son needed assistance with. That being said though, he really enjoyed this story about how to take care of your teeth. He especially enjoyed the page with the "big boy" who ate too much junk food & sweets and was getting cavities. He said that he did not want to be like that boy. This is a very enjoyable book for...more
Elizabeth
Started out okay, then got weird, then got gross. Also, biting non-dentists is still generally impermissible.
Rebecca
Not my favorite Seuss. Not the best storyline. The over-dramatized teeth are a little creepy, though my children love them. Good for an early reader with illustrations to keep them interested.
Tzippy
I think you can probably eat huckleberry jam without teeth. Just saying.
Phoenix
Not sure why she didn't like it and wanted to stop after a couple of pages.
Shanna Gonzalez
This book is a brief and playful introduction to the different kinds of teeth that are found in the world -- reminiscent of The Foot Book but not as good. The text is by Dr. Seuss and illustrations by Joe Mathieu; while children might enjoy it, it's not nearly in the leage of some of Seuss's best work, although it does include wordplay and the wonderful rhythmic text he is known for. It is disconcerting to hear Seussical rhyme with illustrations that are so different from his, and the effect is...more
Nikki
Read this to my daughter and we loved it!
Ian
Clunky scansion, belabored concept, fun illustrations.
Robert
Jun 03, 2012 Robert rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robert by: flowers22
Shelves: 2-6, fiction, dr-seuss, rhyme, own, cfc
Not Dr. Seuss' finest work. Seuss explains that everyone has teeth: doctors, Jack-o-laterns, lions, etc. Except clams and snails and chickens. I am not certain why the change of pace there. Then he returns with the plea to take take care of one's teeth.

It's Dr. Seuss so it is good. But at the same time, it is not such a book one will hold up as the best.

I will say, however, it may be a good book to illustrate for our classroom door in March. Something a little different. Ray McKie is the illustr...more
David Natiuk
I think the Tooth Book goes nicely with the Foot Book, The Ear Book, etc. I think there is something inherently more serious about Teeth than ears, feet or hands, however, so as the book deals with teeth falling out & getting broken... well, I guess it's just not my favorite thing to read.

It might not be the easiest to read out loud, or have the polished cadence of some of the best Dr. Seuss books, but my boys really enjoy it. I think it also helps them learn something of value, and therefor...more
Marie
In this wonderful Dr. Seuss classic, read about the importance of teeth. Children will learn who does and doesn’t have teeth. They will learn that teeth are used for smiling, eating food, and speaking. Children will also learn that they only get two sets of teeth, so they need to be taken care of.

A great book to share with children who are losing their baby teeth and gaining their "grown-up" teeth. However, I expected to see more about the importance of teeth brushing.
Mayra
The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss is a beginner reader book. This book informs kids what teeth are all about from how many sets you have, what they are used for and how to take good care of them. Dr. Seuss uses dramatic colorful pictures to make better sense to the young children listening the story. This book can be used in a preschool, kinder and first grade to teach them about the importance of teeth and their function before they loose any teeth.
Trina
Feb 06, 2008 Trina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with small children
My daughter wanted to read this book because (and I quote) "I have a loose tooth so I need to read The Tooth Book!" I love reading Dr. Seuss, the words just roll off the tongue and lift the spirits. We read this book a lot and it never gets old. I have a voice for all the people involved. I am glad that she is relating the things that are happening to her (i.e her loose tooth) to some of the stories she has been hearing since she was very young.
Lindsay
I used this silly Dr. Seuss book to end a dental-care themed bilingual (Spanish/English) story time program I did in November 2012. Besides The Tooth Book, I read Cocodrilo va al Dentista and Molly at the Dentist, and I also retold The Bear's Toothache in Spanish for the program. Both Cocodrilo and Molly are more "informative" about taking care of one's teeth and visiting the dentist, but The Tooth Book adds a bit of fun.
Amanda
Appropriately, I read this book to Caleb in the waiting room for his first ever dentist appointment. It's really cute. It just talks about how lots of "things" have teeth and how your secondary set is all you get so you have to take care of them. Good for toddlers learning about body parts and functions and preschoolers learning self help skills. I'm hoping to find it in a board book edition for my PAT kit.
Angela
This is a great book to teach basic health. It is the tooth book that gives you information about teeth. You can teach rhyming words and repetition with this book. Along with the word tooth/teeth you hear the word "do" a lot. It relate all the things you can do with teeth. You can have the students tell/draw/write about the first time they lost a tooth or their favorite thing to do with their teeth.
Aaron Alexander
This would be an excellent book for first grade students because that is about the time when many of them start losing their teeth. You could read this book to your class and then talk about all of the ways that teeth are important. What types of animals have teeth? Which don't? Do any of them use their teeth differently than we do? There are many questions you could ask in order to facilitate discussion.
jacky
Not my favorite Dr. Seuss early reader. I didn't like that he did not do the illustrations. I also didn't like the violence of the teeth getting broken, but especially didn't like the choice of the word "dumb" when Seuss has such a way with words. Also didn't like the idea of being told to bite anyone. True, its intended for slightly older kids, but I prefer "Don't bite your friends."
jacky
I liked the board book edition of this book much more than the regular hard cover. While I don't think that children who are generally the board book audience (two and under in my mind) would love this book because of its length, I did like the edits made to fit into the board book format. I liked that the more violent images and word "dumb" that accompanied them were missing.
Milo P.
Feb 16, 2013 Milo P. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Found at the library
"I love it when the book says, 'Don't let you bite the dentist's hand.'"

Mama doesn't love it at much as the other Dr. Seuss books. She think that it doesn't feel the same when someone else does the illustrations. The illustrations are not bad, they just aren't Dr. Seuss.

While I like this book, I don't run and get it to read again and again like other stories.
Samantha
Most people and animals have teeth (sorry clams) and this book is a celebration of all the things that teeth help us do and how we should take care of them.

Full color artwork puts a spotlight on teeth in every scene by exaggerating their appearance (teeth in this book look larger than they appear).

Rhyming text makes this a fun read for toddlers.
MCC Children's Li...: dr suess 1 1 Mar 20, 2012 12:24PM
  • Berenstains' A Book (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R))
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • The Lion King (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • Aladdin (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat Oh, The Places You'll Go! How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Lorax