Start by marking “Dangerous Fortune, A” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Fortune, A

Dangerous Fortune, A

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  16,960 ratings  ·  940 reviews
In 1866 tragedy strikes at the exclusive Windfield School when a mysterious accident takes the life of a student. Among the student's circle of friends are Hugh Pilaster; Hugh's older cousin Edward, dissolute heir to the Pilaster banking fortune; and Micky Miranda, the handsome son of a brutal South American oligarchy. The death and its aftermath begin the spiraling circle ...more
Audio CD, 14 pages
Published March 28th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Fortune, A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Fortune, A

Russ
Yes, this book is somewhat predictable and serves less as a mystery novel and more as a historical drama/romance, but I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the novel simply as it was. It may also be a bit too familiar to Follett followers as the model of storytelling remains consistent with his typical writing techniques, but it also displays Follett's tremendous ability to set a mood and create an atmosphere that makes almost all his books so hard to put down. The historical detail makes A Dange ...more
Maria
Muito bom! E atual, apesar de se passar durante o século XIX.
Opinião em breve
Shauna
Things you can count on in a Follett book:

A strong male protagonist who everyone else is determined to make fail.

A strong female protagonist who acts in ways women of their time period just do not act, and doesn't give a damn about what others think of her.

One of the above parties either rises from their low station or falls from their high station.

A nasty villain who does nothing, but bad and surrounds himself with powerful people who he manipulates to get what he wants and to cover his bad d
Carla Faleiro
Podia começar aqui a adjectivar este livro, mas quem me conhece sabe que os únicos enredos que me interessam são os das estórias.
Ken Follett é de facto um senhor contador de estórias! Este é um livro fantástico, com personagens excelentes!
Não vou opinar sobre a escrita do autor porque o que li foi uma tradução e acho um pouco fantasioso afirmá-lo sem ler originais, mas posso avançar que o texto estava isento de erros.

Quanto à estória... temos um grupo de colegas de colégio que passam por um acon
Ankit Agrawal
Jul 01, 2013 Ankit Agrawal rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeffrey Archer Fans, People who like master story-telling and real life dramas
Copied from a testimonial:
"Good thrillers are like elegant geometrical proofs. Their drama lies not in their ultimate outcome but in their method. Though we know that the good guys will eventually triumph, we don't know how; a good thriller should keep us guessing until the last page. Ken Follett does just that."

This is the first thing I had to say about Ken Follett when I completed this book. For long Jeffrey Archer has been my favourite writer and I have believed the fact that I can count on f
Reinhold
Geniales Sittenbild des ausklingenden 19. Jahrhunderts

Das Buch ist ein geniales Sittenbild der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts. Im Kern geht es um die Geschichte des Hugh Pilasters, der das schwarze Schaf der Pilasters - einer der größten Bankiersfamilien - ist. Nun schwarzes Schaf ist vielleicht etwas falsch ausgedrückt, eher ist er das weiße Schaf innerhalb der grau-schwarzen Herde. Hugh ist ehrlich, aufrichtig und glaubt an das Gute im Menschen. Nebenbei ist er höchst intelligent und vers
Evalunasylva
Muito bom! Follett não desilude.
Petra
***Attention! This review contains spoilers. So, don't read it unless you finished the book***

This book, what to say about this book? I absolutely love all Ken Follett’s book, he is genius.
Dangerous Fortune is not typical Follett’s book, set in 19th century , story follows the fortunes of famous and rich family Pilaster. At the beginning I thought it will be criminal book or something like that, I didn’t expect so much drama, romance and malice (all in good way).
First, my favorite character was
Patrice Sartor
Ken Follett sure knows how to tell a story, and he oozes character development skill. I got to know every character in the title well, for better or for worse. There were manipulators, the manipulated, the highborn, the lower class, and everything in between. I was eager to discover what these people would do next, and who they would do it to.

As a period piece, I cannot vouch for its authenticity (since I'm not an expert on London and South America in the late 1800s), but I can tell you that it
Sherry
After reading Pillars of the Earth and listening to World Without End, I found A Dangerous Fortune to be somewhat predictable but I still thoroughly enjoyed the story. In A Dangerous Fortune, Ken Follett is again the master story teller, bringing together a family-saga spanning over 30 years that includes love, treachery, rivalry, drama, and crime. We watch the characters develop over the years some becoming strong and honest adults and others slipping into pure evil. The transitions from year t ...more
Barbara
Ken Follet has added another great book this novel, A Dangerous Fortune. His has a great nack for creating amazing characters showing many different aspects of human life, like manipulation, greedy, misery, deceiving, murder, political and amorous intrigues, etc., making the book a very entertaining reading.

The story takes place in the late 1800’s and starts with a tragic drowning of a student in an exclusive school named Windfield. A small circle of boys are directly or indirectly involved in t
Pedro Diaz
Empieza un poco lento, pero avanzadas algunas páginas mejora y mantiene tu atención, lo acabe en una semana!

Es más una novela histórica que un gran drama, la historia es buena pero algo predecible. Pero los detalles históricos y la narración te envuelven y hacen volar la imaginación sobre Londres antiguo y la sociedad del siglo 19.

Si te gusta Downton Abbey es una lectura obligada.
Jai
OMG!! I enjoyed this book. Although, the story was in the late 1800's, it had a modern flare to it. Ken gave us sooo much drama to work with from homosexuality, adultery, promiscuity, etc. I was intrigued from beginning to end. My first Follett book, but it won't be my last.
Silvia Ribeiro
4,5 estrelas.
O livro tem tudo o que o Ken Follet já nos habituou. Personagens fortes, ação é um enredo que nos agarra da primeira à última página. Mas não está ao nível da sua última trilogia.
Corinna
Innanzitutto, GRAZIE Mondadori per aver lanciato quest'offertona su 5 libri di Ken Follett!! Mi ero già riproposta di recuperare un po' delle sue opere andando a ripescare negli scatoloni/libreria-improvvisata di mio padre.. Mi sono risparmiata qualche vecchio volume, magari anche un po' ingiallito!!

Parlando di "Una fortuna pericolosa" in particolare, posso dire che è davvero una bella storia! Tutta la narrazione ruota attorno alla famiglia Pilaster, soprattutto alla pecora nera Hugh che come tu
Gee
A Dangerous Fortune is my third Ken Follett book, after Fall of Giants and Hornet Flight and I have to say after Fortune, he is fast becoming a favourite author of mine. This book was a tremendous read and one that had me hooked and longing to return to its pages to find out what would happen next.

Set in the 19th century, the story spans the decades between the 1860s and 1890s and follows the fortunes of the powerful Pilaster family following the death of a student one summer at a swimming hole
Chuck
The story takes place in late nineteenth century England. We are introduced to the major protagonists in boarding school and they interact throughout the book. These are all upper crust, high society individuals and bankers for the most part. It is not what I would describe as an action thriller but Mr. Follett spun his tale in such a way that it was exciting and held my interest throughout. There were
no gray hats worn in the story; each character wore either a black hat or a white one and behav
Julia Grundling
i almost gave this one 5 stars, but couldn't put it in the same category as 'pillars of the earth', 'world without end', 'fall of giants' and 'winter of the world', but i think it's my favourite of the 'thinner' books so far.

it was just under 600 pages, so it took me a while to read, as i'm quite a slow reader. i so enjoyed the story - all the twists and turns, and i loved the characters. they were so alive and real in my mind's eye - even the villains.

the use and abuse of women was quite distu
Encruzilhadas Literárias
Há muito que Ken Follett se tornou um dos escritores da minha eleição. Com enredos de encher as medidas e encantar, o autor consegue transportar-nos para os mundos que recria com genialidade, atenção ao pormenor, capacidade de envolvência do leitor e acima de tudo, imaginação pura e com o toque de realismo que atribui aos momentos agridoce das suas estórias a essência da vida. E da ausência de contos de fadas plenos.
Em meses de tremenda ocupação profissional, o tempo e disponibilidade mental par
Manuela Santos
Para começar, quero dar os parabéns à Editorial Presença pela belíssima capa com que nos presenteia neste livro. Depois também pela revisão que está impecável.
Ken Follet é possuidor de uma escrita directa, simples, clara, precisa, concisa, fluída, envolvente e carregada de descrições fabulosas que parecem reais.
Uma leitura compulsiva, delirante, intensa, cativante, absorvente e emocionante que me prendeu da primeira à última página e por vezes tirou-me o fôlego, mas já não é de estranhar os livr
Kurt Reichenbaugh
This was a good one! My first Ken Follett novel. It follows the nefarious deeds of a banking family in Victorian era London. International intrigue, lust, betrayal, adultery, murder and perversion ensue. Along the way, you keep hoping that the evil bastards in this story will get theirs! Good summer reading for the entire family! Again I must thank my Goodreads pal Karla for recommending this one to a Ken Follett first-timer. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
Patrícia
RATING: 4 stars.

Wow, o Follett sabe mesmo escrever. 500 e tal páginas em dois dias. O_O

---------------

Só muito recentemente comecei a ler livros do Ken Follett (com uma notável exceção). Apesar da sua enorme popularidade, tanto internacional como em terras lusas, confesso que tenho algum receio de ler este tipo de autores super famosos, com inúmeros bestsellers em seu nome. Isto porque, geralmente, estes autores escrevem thrillers e livros de ação que, para mim, se revelam leituras muito semelha
Celia
Wow, what a story. This book was chock full of evil and skullduggery. Follett wove a tale that actually resonates with what's going on in the banking business today, even though this story takes place in the 1880's. It was a fun read, (with some kinky sex scenes thrown in for fun).
inah
Oct 24, 2007 inah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: ken-follett
this is so far my favorite book..
i honestly say that this is a real page-turner and you'll be hooked up 'til you finish it.....
this book is about everyone's greed for money that they're able to do even the impossible just to get it...
Kimberly Allen
NOt what I expected from Follett, who I associate more with spy novels. This was a great book, with breadth and depth and great characterization. Really kept me interested to the end.
Harry
Great historical novel. Good character development. Wished the evil matriarch would have received a better comeuppance.
Nick Phillips
I know that all tastes in books is subjective and what one person may like might not necessarily appeal to another but I really cannot stress how utterly terrible I found this book.

Imagine Zola's La Curee mixed with a touch of Mary Poppins and just enough Eyeless in Gaza to make one think that this might be a halfway decent read, rewritten by Jeffery Archer as a TV mini series for a minor digital channel and you are 10% of the way to understanding just how awful this novel is.

There is no charact
Zoeytron
Ken Follett has long been a favorite author of mine. We tend to snap his books up as soon as they hit the shelves. Not sure how it happened, but 20 years ago I somehow missed this one. Came across it quite by accident, and it was like discovering a hidden treasure and what a pleasure it was to read!

Back to the days of corsets and bustles in merry old London, this tale spans the period of 1866 to 1892. Fans of this author are used to his finely drawn characters, not just the principals, all of t
Demetrelli
Definitely an interesting read, even more because of the financial crisis and the banking reality as its main theme. I think Follett manages to depict quite accurately the spirit of 19th century's protestantism and -equally religious- faith in liberal economy. I really enjoyed his description of London and the care he took in giving the reader the little details helped you immerse yourself in the story. The book's plot, was well developed, with nicely fitting twists and turns and at the same tim ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Dangerous Fortune - wrong page count 2 17 Dec 26, 2013 10:37AM
  • Die Hüter der Rose (Waringham, #2)
  • The Sands of Sakkara
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Road To Omaha
  • The Wise Woman (Stone of Light, #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • The Music of the Spheres
  • Die Puppenspieler
  • Ivanhoe
  • The Legacy
  • Hannibal. Der Roman Karthagos
  • Summer Heat
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • Monsoon (Courtney #10)
Ken Follett burst onto the book world in 1978 with Eye of the Needle, a taut and original thriller with a memorable woman character in the central role. The book won the Edgar award and became an outstanding film.

He went on to write four more bestselling thrillers: Triple; The Key to Rebecca; The Man from St Petersburg; and Lie Down with Lions.

He also wrote On Wings of Eagles, the true story of ho
More about Ken Follett...
The Pillars of the Earth  (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) Eye of the Needle Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)

“There was also something false about the atmosphere here. It was solemn and dignified like a church or the court of a president or a museum. They were moneylenders, but they acted as if charging interest were a noble calling, like the priesthood.” 1 likes
“The Bible says, ‘If any would not work, neither should he eat.’ Saint Paul wrote that, in Second Thessalonians, chapter three, verse ten,” 0 likes