Start by marking “The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk” as Want to Read:
The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk

The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk (Popular Culture and Philosophy #25)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The most popular musical group of all time, the Beatles also brought serious thought to the bubble gum-scented world of pop and rock music, with adventurous, profound, and sometimes mysterious lyrics that veered from the deliberate absurdity of “I Am the Walrus” to the rosy Rousseau-like fantasy of “When I’m 64” to the darkly existential/nihilist visions of “Eleanor Rigby” ...more
Published October 25th 2006 by Open Court

To ask other readers questions about The Beatles and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beatles and Philosophy

Ariel
Jun 06, 2016 Ariel rated it liked it
I'm honestly surprised about this book. I thought I was going to hate it, but actually it wasn't too bad. The biggest problem I had with this book is that it took too long to get into. Like, when I would actually sit down and read it, I could get into it very easily, and before I knew it would be a good ten pages or more into it, but that's just it. I couldn't really get into it to want to start reading. For the first Philosophy book I've read, it was a good start. It was very intriguing. The su ...more
William
I mostly read this book while visiting China with my parents. It was not as good as the U2 and Philosophy book, and I'm not just saying that because my Master's thesis advisor had an essay in the U2 book. Now, U2 will always be number two for me after The Beatles, but I think that possibly U2's music, their lyrics certainly, are more fertile ground for a pop culture philosophy book. I really think that to really appreciate The Beatles music a culturally- or musically-focused study is your best b ...more
Joshua
Jun 29, 2010 Joshua rated it really liked it
Certainly gained a much deeper insight on Beatles and their songwriting. The amount of thought and research done on them is quite astonishing. It's excellent, they also give much in-depth information and many reasons for their deductions from the Beatles' lyrics. There are two ways of appreciating the Beatles fully : One is to simply listen to their music, the other is to know what went on behind making their music.
Lori
Jul 12, 2009 Lori added it
A fun way to read about the Beatles. Each chapter is a different essay, written by a different person. The Beatles and moral philosophy, social philosophy, existentialism, Nietzsche, the practice of philosophy, and other subtopics are included in the volume.
Shelby
Jun 06, 2012 Shelby rated it really liked it
If you are a Beatles fan, the men not just the songs, then most of this is already self-evident. But it is a very interesting way to read about them and take them with you in daily life.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Phylosophy + The Beatles --> Amazing

all you need is love description
Eric
Jan 03, 2016 Eric rated it liked it
Because each chapter is from a different philosopher, there were obviously some chapters I really enjoyed and others I just wanted to skim through. Overall interesting.
Ashley McAdams
Dec 11, 2010 Ashley McAdams rated it it was amazing
Want to know more about philosophy? Do you know any Beatles songs? If the answer to both of these is YES! then this book is for you! Easy to understand and relate.
Tim Smolko
May 21, 2010 Tim Smolko rated it really liked it
Not one of the better offerings from this series. Most of it is concerned with the social impact of the Beatles rather than the philosophical ideas in their music.
Teejay
Jun 08, 2013 Teejay marked it as half-read
I thought I'd gain some "Beatles knowledge" from reading this book but I've realized that the its kinda like the author is trying to put words in the Beatles mouths
Julia
Oct 24, 2011 Julia rated it did not like it
Mir reicht's, ich kann's nicht beenden. Dumemrweise muss ich trotzdem eine Review schreiben.
Elizabeth
Dec 19, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
All you need is love.
Dana Torio
Well, I got bored.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Christopher Petrone
Christopher Petrone marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Geralyn
Geralyn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Julian Boxan
Julian Boxan rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Holden
Holden marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Vedant Swain
Vedant Swain marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
David
David rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2016
Fátima
Fátima marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Cassie Dowell
Cassie Dowell marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Evee Telfar
Evee Telfar marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
A Sharkus
A Sharkus rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Diogo
Diogo marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Michella
Michella marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Sooz888
Sooz888 marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • Bob Dylan and Philosophy: It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Thinking)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Gilles Deleuze & Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • Absolute Recoil: Towards A New Foundation Of Dialectical Materialism
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida: Religion Without Religion
  • The Philosophy of the X-Files
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • Whose Community? Which Interpretation?: Philosophical Hermeneutics for the Church
  • The Cultural Turn: Selected Writings on the Postmodern, 1983-1998
  • Hegel

Popular Culture and Philosophy (1 - 10 of 64 books)
  • Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything and Nothing
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts
  • Mel Gibson's Passion and Philosophy: The Cross, the Questions, the Controverssy