Start by marking “Bones of the Buried (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bones of the Buried (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne, #2)

Bones of the Buried (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne #2)

She's a foreign correspondent for a British national newspaper. He's the scion to an English dukedom. It is 1936, and they're in Spain, Verity Browne because she is passionately committed to defending the Spanish republic against Franco's imminent fascist threat and Lord Edward Corinth because she summoned him. She is investigating the killing of a Communist Party worker i
Published September 11th 2001 by Carroll & Graf

To ask other readers questions about Bones of the Buried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones of the Buried

Here's another I discovered through a collection of knitting patterns (!!); this is the second book I've read in the series. I like the main characters, although they can be a little infuriating (like real people, I suppose). I really enjoyed the setting of this book (in Spain in the 1930s, right at the beginning of the civil war). Unlike some reviewers, I like the inclusion of the politics.

I wasn't sure why there was a character that was so obviously Ernest Hemingway, but identified by another
Tom Ruffles
(This is a joint review of Sweet Poison and Bones of the Buried)

Sweet Poison

Take a large helping of Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane, add a little Albert Campion, a dash of Roderick Alleyn and a sprinkling of The Remains of the Day, and you have the perfect recipe for David Roberts’ debut novel Sweet Poison. Set in 1935, it features a dashing yet sensitive adventurer and man-about-town Lord Edward Corinth and his unlikely collaboration with a card-carrying but strangely alluring Communist, Mis
Elizabeth
Oct 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, spain
This is the second of the Edward Corinth and Verity Brown series. it has promise because it involves history and excitement but I don't really care for either of the main characters. Verity is a communist but we never really see why she believes what she believes and that makes her unbelievable. Edward wants more out of life but doesn't do anything to change his lifestyle.

Edward proclaims a love for Verity who would and did throw him to the wolves and yet he continues to have a passion for her w
Debbie
Sep 10, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the series, but the first I've read. There is a conservatism to Edward which seems accurate to the time. I just can't decide if he shares the author's views. Verity is okay some of the time and sometimes a know it all prig with too high an idea of herself. This could end up like Anne Perry's Monk series where I quit reading them because, although I liked him I found her to be a pain in the ass. But, back to Lord Edward and Verity. The murders, and there are four of them at ...more
Jane
Aug 18, 2009 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Development of the character which mirrored Hemingway was somehow offputting. Was it in any way historically correct or was so inaccurate as to force another name to it. "Papa" Belasco indeed! However the presentation of the workings of the communists in Spain against the fascists each positioning for ruthless power leading to civil war was intriguing, but again left me wondering how off it was. Will lead me to research further. Verity Brown as a character was the prototype female dimwit, th ...more
Fernando Troyano
I liked it, but is there something lacking in there?
Verity's character kind of get's on my nerves. "Let's pick what we like from each side". I wanna play communist, but I'll tell you about it while we dine in the savoy or something.
Anyway, the plot is good, and the story catches.
Trish
Jun 11, 2013 Trish rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-historical
The combination of the two main characters definitely isn't working for me. Far too much politics and not enough actual plot, and what plot there is, the main characters get wrong again the first time. Admittedly the lead-up to the Spanish Civil War is an interesting backdrop, but it's about the only thing holding my interest. And to cap it all, there isn't even a satisfying ending.
Kirsten
Jun 16, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving this series...the 2 detectives are sometimes naïve, smart, clever and imperfect humans. This is set against the Spanish Civil War beginnings as loyalties are played against each other and old connections pop up.
Cece
Set during the Spanish Civil War, but the characters are mostly British and American ex-pats. As far as I know, historically accurate, although the politics of that time and that place were, at best, muddled.
Gail
Jul 26, 2009 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, not-owned
I enjoy the adventures Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, although the ending in this one was a bit muddled. I like my mysteries with neat, tidy endings. After all, this a novel, not real life.
Carol Kerry-green
Good mystery, but still not sure about Edward and Verity, I sometimes want to bang their heads together!!
Mary Newcomb
Eton, Spain and London all form the backdrop to this very confusing tale of revenge and passion.

Kathleen Freeman
I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series.
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Jenny
Jenny added it
Aug 30, 2016
Tracy Eaton
Tracy Eaton marked it as to-read
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Helen Howerton
Helen Howerton rated it really liked it
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Stig Carlsson
Stig Carlsson rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Judy Parker
Judy Parker rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Phoebe Jackson
Phoebe Jackson rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Jane Whitehead
Jane Whitehead rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

David Roberts was an editor at Chatto and Windus, editorial director at Weidenfeld & Nicolson and a partner of Michael O'Mara Books, before becoming a full-time writer in 2000.

More about David Roberts...

Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne (10 books)
  • Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #1)
  • Hollow Crown (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne, #3)
  • Dangerous Sea (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne, #4)
  • The More Deceived (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne, #5)
  • A Grave Man (Lord Edward Corinth & Verity Browne, #6)
  • The Quality of Mercy (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #7)
  • Something Wicked (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #8)
  • No More Dying (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #9)
  • Sweet Sorrow (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #10)