Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School

Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  10,946 ratings  ·  958 reviews
Most of us have no idea what’s really going on inside our heads. Yet brain scientists have uncovered details every business leader, parent, and teacher should know—like the need for physical activity to get your brain working its best.

How do we learn? What exactly do sleep and stress do to our brains? Why is multi-tasking a myth? Why is it so easy to forget—and so importan...more
Published February 26th 2008 by Pear Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Brain Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Rules

Outliers by Malcolm GladwellDrive by Daniel H. PinkBlink by Malcolm GladwellGetting Things Done by David AllenGood to Great by Jim Collins
Inspiring books on Capability Building
6th out of 83 books — 79 voters
The Back of the Napkin by Dan RoamBrain Rules by John MedinaEngaging Learning by Clark N. QuinnE-Learning and the Science of Instruction by Richard E. MayerHere Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky
VLC Book List
2nd out of 10 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Kent
I think I would give this book 3.5 stars if I could.

The book discusses "12 principles for surviving and thriving at work, home, and school." The real focus seems feels like how we can use this to improve schools.

The 12 rules are:
EXERCISE | Rule #1: Exercise boosts brain power.
SURVIVAL | Rule #2: The human brain evolved, too.
WIRING | Rule #3: Every brain is wired differently.
ATTENTION | Rule #4: We don't pay attention to boring things.
SHORT-TERM MEMORY | Rule #5: Repeat to remember.
LONG-TERM MEM...more
Jihad
كتاب رائع، يبحث في العديد من أبحاث الدماغ ليخرج بـ 12 قانون، معرفتها تساعدك لكي تزيد كفائة الدماغ في العمل، المنزل، والمدرسة. يأتي بعدة فوائد وأمثلة وأبحاث تحت كل قانون.

القوانين هي (باختصار، الكتاب يفصل فيها طبعاً):
1-الرياضة:
التمارين الرياضية تقوي القدرات العقلية.

-أدمغتنا تحب أن تتحرك أجسامنا
- الرياضة تزيد نسبة تدفق الأوكسيجين للدماغ، ذلك يزيد نشاط المخ
- الرياضة تؤثر على عمل خلايا المخ. فهي تزيد وتسارع تكوينها، تساعدها على البقاء أكثر، وتجعلها أكثر قدرة على مكافحة الضرر والقلق.

2- البقاء:
الدماغ...more
Sarah Hanawald
Brain rules is really well organized. It's a very un-boring synthesis of current neuroscience research into very comprehensible terms. I only give it four stars because the author (openly) says that the educational implications of the findings are not clear.

Some major take-aways, along with my questions and ruminations:

Attention:
Emotional arousal helps the brain learn. Number of minutes a person can pay attention to presentation style information (a lecture) is the same as their age, up to 10....more
Natalie
The content, when you can get to it, is interesting. But I find his writing style incredibly annoying -- full of anecdotes that don't really have a very tight connection to the content of the chapter. Then, midway thru the book, you learn that he finds that 10-minute chunks interspersed with anecdotes helps students pay attention in lecture. I totally accept that for an oral presentation. But in a written text, it's really annoying. I'm used to reading nonfiction that doesn't seem to be talking...more
Elizabeth
We participated in a research study led by this author last year, so I was curious to read this book. John Medina was an engaging and thought-provoking speaker, and this is an engaging and thought-provoking. It took a while to read because I had to stop and think after each section. It was relevant to teaching in many ways, but also to life in general.
Susan
This is a fabulous book I wish had been written before I started baby-making 30 years ago! It does confirm for me that I did a lot of things right as a parent, but I would have benefited as a mom from knowing things now clearly related by John Medina on when an infant is learning what much more precisely than I knew from observation and experience alone.

the information in this book is priceless for any parent and any person who intends to live life healthily, influence people positively and mak...more
Lisa
3.5
John Medina explains 12 principles that involve the brain or thoughts that can help you in life. The copy I checked out from the library contained a dvd that gave an overview of the book that explained all of Medina's main points.
This book is worth reading and its ideas are worth incorporating into your life.
Watch this video to see if you might be interested in reading this book:
Brain Rules

From the book:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nathan
Mar 11, 2008 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nathan by: Dale Dougherty
A solid attempt at making a practical (useful) book on how the brain works, aimed at everyday people. He focuses on memory and efficiency, and writes in an engaging style. As a long-time researcher in the field he has the science cred, and he explains it well. There's a website (brainrules.net I think) that goes with the book, and when the book is released for real (I got a galley) it'll come with a DVD.

My only complaint is that he's insufficiently scientific in the book. I wanted more hard numb...more
John
Finally finished “Brain Rules” by John Medina. Fascinating how simple habits can boost our brain power. Seemingly passive and low impact activities like exercise and sleeping enhance our thinking ability (we’ve all heard this before, but the author provides compelling explanations as to why this is the case).

There’s also an interesting discussion on multitasking (apparently it’s true you can do two things at once, just not as well as if you weren’t trying to multitask).

A well written and engagin...more
Ensiform
The author, a lecturer, researcher, and molecular biologist, lists twelve major principles that help explain how the brain works: though processes are improved by physical exercise, we pay attention to evolutionarily important things like sex and danger, we need sleep to cogitate properly, repetition is crucial to long-term memory, we learn more through a variety of sensory inputs, gender influences how our brain process certain interactions, and so on. In most of the chapters, he goes on to adv...more
Roberto
“Dopo i primi dieci minuti di una lezione o di una presentazione, il cervello stacca la spina. È dunque importante sapere che ogni dieci minuti bisogna lanciare all’uditorio un ‘amo’, per esempio un aneddoto, che susciti emozioni come il riso, l'incredulità o la paura”.

Questo è solo un esempio delle tante cose interessanti citate in questo libro che tratta del cervello e del suo funzionamento.
Si sanno ancora poche cose del cervello, ma negli ultimi anni sono state fatte molte scoperte interessan...more
John
A very straightforward read on the latest advance in the understanding of how the brain works. A lot of the chapters draw from some of the accessible trade books on cognitive development. Stories from Deborah Tannen, Oliver Sachs, Howard Gardner, Steven Jay Gould, etc. add stories and examples to Medina's main structure of the book. The book is organized around 12 principles that Medina feels are necessary to a healthy brain (due to what Medina sees as evolutionary factors).
The first principle...more
Jordan Castillo Price
There were parts of this book I loved and parts I hated, so it was really difficult for me to figure out how to rate it. I loved the first chapter so much -- about how exercise makes your thinking sharper -- that I devoted a podcast episode to it. Other chapters were fascinating too, in particular the sleep chapter.

However, there was a description of the making of foie gras on page 88 that was a dealbreaker for me. And because it came during the chapter on "Attention," I presume it was a techniq...more
Jessica Snell
This one was fascinating. I finally found out why it's possible to faint from shock! Your brain is so glucose-hungry that you can only use a very small percentage of it at a time, for the simple reason that you don't have enough glucose (or enough oxygen to break the glucose down, or the ability to get rid of the by-products of oxygen break-down fast enough) to fuel more than a small percentage. So if you see/learn something shocking, your brain tries to process too much at once, using too large...more
Michelle
As always, I need to declare my preference for fiction. That said, let me recommend this book. Author and molecular biologist, John Medina, does a great job capturing the reader with brain research, of all things. Clearly a subject that could lull the layperson into a comatose state, Medina follows his own advice in this text. Chapters are not overly long; each reading objective is clearly stated, and he reviews the salient items at the end of each chapter, with three or four bulleted items. To...more
Lars Guthrie
My sister and I both work with kids and have our own little book club where we read works that are related to learning, the brain, and child development. While she liked 'Brain Rules,' she critiqued for being 'pop.' I get that, but I really liked the book.

We read it after seeing Medina give an enthusiastic and inspiring presentation at the Learning and the Brain Conference several months ago in San Francisco. He's definitely a salesman type with his own shtick, but for me, it works.

I was readi...more
Ted Witt
We expect that findings from scientific research will be quickly translated into everyday practice when it comes to medicine, technology, engineering and marketing. However, when it comes to schools and education, research finds it difficult to cut through the bonds of tradition.

In his bestselling book Brain Rules, molecular biologist John Medina suggests that the typical five-period day in high school might be radically restructured if we were to consider how the brain actually works.

Medina wri...more
Mostafa Nageeb
One of the greatest books I ever read. It explains how the brain works and then tell you twelve rules you must know about human brains. While you are reading it, you will keep saying mmm .. at the end of the book you will say "that explains everything". After I finished this book I knew the reasons of many things that happened in my life. Things that I did, and others that people around me did.
The book is full of examples of real cases that happened in the world. and at the end of each chapter i...more
Natali
I really enjoyed this book. Some of this research is pretty popular now but consider that this book is a few years old and it is even more impressive! The author is witty and approachable in his approach to explaining brain science. And he gives concrete examples and suggestions on how we can live our lives according to the way our brains work, rather than against it.

I was a huge fan of Brain Rules for Baby so I wanted to go back and read this. I still like For Baby better but I'm such a fan of...more
Julieta
Much of Medina's work here is obvious but he does a good job of explaining the basic science of how the brain works. It's a good read for parents as it'll make them want to create the best possible environment for their children as well as for educators at any level as Medina explains the best possible learning situations you can create for your students.

For instance, chronic stress is just about the most horrible thing you can do to your brain.
A constant diet of adrenaline and cortisol can lea...more
Si Barron
If we know the way that the mind has evolved to process thoughts, ideas and feelings then we can utilise these principles for higher attainment in learning and operating in schools and the workplace. That at least is the authors hope and claim: understand the way the brain wants to process things and stop fighting against it.

There are a few interesting points and practical tips in here but they are few and far between. There is far too much digression and too many stories. The author actually ma...more
Marcel de Leeuwe
Als ontwerpers van leerervaringen (binnen onderwijs, bedrijfsopleidingen etc.) is het eigenlijk een schande dat we niet meer wetenschappelijke inzichten gebruiken als basis voor onze ontwerpen. John Medina, moleculair bioloog heeft in 2008 al het boek Brain rules geschreven. Niet alleen het boek zou iedere (e-)Learning professional moeten lezen (én toepassen) maar de bijbehorende website behoort ook tot de beste in zijn soort.

Wat zijn Brain rules?

Medina geeft aan dat de principes niet voor niets...more
Guy
May 09, 2009 Guy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: socsci
A blend of anecdotes, brain science, and prescriptions for how to live and learn more effectively, this is a book that everyone should read, even though it is far from perfect. For me it was, for the most part, pitched at the right level -- neither too detailed nor too superficial -- providing overviews of the science that underpins many things we sort of know we should (or shouldn't) do, but don't really know why, and thus (in part) fail to do (or not do).

For example, we know that stress is ba...more
Book Calendar
Holly Chesser
Feb 04, 2013 Holly Chesser rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Educators
When American classrooms were designed over a hundred years ago, we knew little about how our brains work or the optimal conditions for our brains to learn. The goal then was efficiency: straight rows with the teacher at the front seemed the best manner to deliver information. Today, however, experimental psychologists, cognitive neuroscientists, and evolutionary biologists can teach us quite a bit more about how brain science affects student achievement and improves learning. What we now know i...more
Ann
Medina explains the biology behind various discoveries in brain research using examples and analogies that make it easy for the casual reader to grasp and remember. As he presents each of the 12 principles, he offers practical applications that can be implemented personally in the home, workplace, or school. I found myself most intrigued with his recommendations in the areas of exercise, attention, memory, sleep and exploration. I tired of his sometimes lengthy evolutionary explanations for how...more
Lauren Gemske
An amazing book about how our brains work and the implications of brain function on performance at school and in the office. Each chapter highlights a different aspect of brain research: sleep, stress, gender differences, etc. Each section is capped with suggestions for the classroom/workplace/life, based on what the research tells us. I was really struck by the chapter on stress (children process everything through the amygdala, which is the emotion center, whereas adults process information in...more
Jiwa Rasa
Kandungan buku ini agak bagus. Banyak maklumat tentang otak dan bagaimana ianya berfungsi.

Namun, banyak kekurangan dari segi amalan dan bagaimana memanfaatkannya.

Yang lebih buat saya tawar hati, bila penulisnya tidak menggunakan ilmunya dalam penulisan. Penulis mengatakan yang kita hanya dapat beri tumpuan penuh selama 10 minit. Malangnya penulis membebel di dalam bukunya panjang lebar tanpa henti.

Penulis juga bercerita tentang otak lebih menerima visual dan ayat. Malangnya buku ini penuh dengan...more
Aaron
This is short, enjoyable read about how we can apply brain science to our lives and society. The author writer in a breezy style. I wish there was more technical information here, but was satisfied that the author laid out tough standards for which research he chose to include in the book. He also wasn't afraid to point out where the science fell short.

He points out, rightly, that our workplaces and schools are designed in such a way that they actually starve the brain of learning opportunities....more
Marianne
p. 16 Aerobic activity reduced your lifetime risk of dementia by half; Alzheimer's by 60%.

p. 58 What you do physically changes what your brain looks like.

The Rules:
Exercise boosts brain power
The human brain evolved too
Every brain is wired differently
We don't pay attention to boring things (Very useful info here for teachers and/or public speakers.)
Repeat to remember
Remember to repeat
Sleep well, think well
Stressed brains do not learn the same way
Stimulate more of the senses
Vision trumps all other...more
Medina's Fantasy School 2 36 Jul 04, 2012 05:02PM
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Driven: How Human Nature Shapes our Choices
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Fail-Safe Investing
  • Show Me the Numbers: Designing Tables and Graphs to Enlighten
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • 10 Days to Faster Reading
  • Sources of Power: How People Make Decisions
  • Total Leadership: Be a Better Leader, Have a Richer Life
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
DR. JOHN J. MEDINA, a developmental molecular biologist, has a lifelong fascination with how the mind reacts to and organizes information. He is the author of the New York Times bestseller "Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School" -- a provocative book that takes on the way our schools and work environments are designed. His latest book is a must-read for pa...more
More about John Medina...
Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five Depression: How It Happens, How It Heals The Genetic Inferno: Inside the Seven Deadly Sins The Clock of Ages: Why We Age-- How We Age-- Winding Back the Clock The Outer Limits of Life

“If you wanted to create an education environment that was directly opposed to what the brain was good at doing, you probably would design something like a classroom. If you wanted to create a business environment that was directly opposed to what the brain was good at doing, you probably would design something like a cubicle. And if you wanted to change things, you might have to tear down both and start over.” 14 likes
“The problem in today’s economy is that people are typically starting a family at the very time they are also supposed to be doing their best work. They are trying to be productive at some of the most stressful times of their lives. What if companies took this unhappy collision of life events seriously? They could offer Gottman’s intervention as a benefit for every newly married, or newly pregnant, employee.” 7 likes