Start by marking “Riding the Tiger” as Want to Read:
Riding the Tiger

Riding the Tiger

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Esteemed author Eve Bunting brings all her insight, empathy, and storytelling skill to this powerful allegorical tale, set in the streets of an unnamed city and illustrated with striking woodcuts. Danny, new to town, is proud when a glittery-eyed tiger invites him for a ride. He climbs up onto the tiger’s massive back, and together they cruise the neighborhood. Everyone gi ...more
Published March 19th 2001 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Riding the Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riding the Tiger

J.L.
This is an amazing book! I love how Bunting uses a “tiger” as a metaphor for a gang member. In a way, that does serve to soften the bluntness of the story she’s writing for young children. I think it would take an adult, in most situations, to explain what the tiger represents. Yet children will readily respond to the idea of getting yourself into a situation that is more than you can handle, potentially dangerous, and definitely scary—even if they have no experience with gangs and no real compr ...more
Kristine Kouba
Plot Summary - this was my picture book selection. Danny is 10 years old and is new in town. A large tiger comes by and tells Danny he wants to give him a ride. The tiger persuades Danny to ride. He and the tiger go around town and the tiger acts big and tough, he seems like a bully, and he claims to have power. To me, he represented a bully, arrogance, and conformity- the tiger tried to intimitate people and power over them. Danny realizes what the tiger is doing and what the tiger belives in, ...more
Kim
When you get on the tiger, it' awfully hard to get off. Tiger is a metaphor for bad decisions, specifically getting involved with gangs. Great for grade school kids. Led to some interesting discussions with my kids.

Illustrations are wood cuts, which my 7yo does not enjoy, but whatever.
Rachel
Bunting, Eve. (2001). Riding the tiger. New York: Clarion Books.

Danny moves into a new neighbourhood and is excited to ride on the tiger’s back. He feels mature, popular, and respected. He soon learns that the people do not respect him rather the feeling is that of fear.

This book made me think of many of my students. I realize how difficult it is to get off the tiger’s back. More disturbing is the realization that so many don’t want to get off. The tiger is their only connection to a community.
Jeremy Allen
Category: Picture Book/ Regional Folk-Fairy Tale
Level: 3rd - 7th grade
Summary: The young boy Danny is new in the neighborhood when a tiger comes by. While slightly scared, the allure of intrigue from the seductive tiger, Danny gets on his back and rides around the urban terrain. Passing several people who give Danny warning and advice to not ride the tiger, Danny does not heed them. He continues on with the tiger watching the tiger flaunt his power grow and listening to the influence the tiger
Dolly
Dec 02, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
This is a dark and dangerously ominous story, but an important one that carries a good message no matter how you interpret it. I was a bit nervous about reading this with our girls, but their Elementary school has a very strong anti-bullying campaign and I was able to relate this story to that message. I took it as more of a metaphor for gangs and drugs and we discussed those as well, but I think they understood the bullying aspect more easily. I believe that this is a great story to be read as ...more
Kirstin Kemppainen
Danny is the new boy in town and is offered by a random tiger to take a ride on his back. The tiger is very controlling and Danny wants off of his back but is scared to tell him no. Finally he works up enough courage to get off of his back. This would be appropriate to read to older kids because it's a book about standing up to bullies or gangs that seem to be a good choice at first, because Danny didn't have any friends, but after someone gets hurt he realizes this isn't a very good idea to be ...more
Mackenzie Rodeghier
This book was creepy!! I'm sure there's a time and a place that this story could be read and could make a huge impact, but i definitely wouldn't pick it up off the shelf and read it to a group of happy children. This book alludes to gang activity and all its facets; were I ever in a situation where I needed to sway children away from this type of lifestyle, I'd definitely consider this book to be a valuable resource. However, on an everyday basis, I think this story is scary and intense.
Katie Lee
This book was very interesting. Danny is new to town and is pressured to take a ride on the tiger's back. He complies, but later regrets his decision because the tiger becomes more forceful and demanding. The overall style, main idea, and illustrations in this story was something that I had never seen before and I'm not sure that I would choose to read this to a class.
Selinee
The book Riding the tiger is about a boy named Danny who was new in the neighborhood. Danny didn't know the fear that people had of the tiger so he went on the tiger's back. Danny was warned that once he gets on the tiger's back it's hard to get of. Soon Danny notice the danger he was facing. I recommend this book to readers that are new to something.
Kelsey Scherer
A very different but unique story. It teaches a unique concept of being yourself, doing what your heart desires and not falling for peer pressure. It uses great examples and images to teach these lessons. I enjoyed the story line and the characterization with Danny and the tiger. It is a great story to keep for future reference in my classroom.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Riding the Tiger is a book about the temptation to join a gang. It's a shame that children as young as this book is intended for have to be taught about resisting gangs. Combine this with Bunting's other picture book, Your Move, about a boy who tries to prevent his fellow gang members from recruiting his younger brother.
Christopher James
I found that this book was very effective in my classroom. Most of the students were engaged with the story, and were able to dissect the story from what it is truly trying to convey. At grade 5, students are learning how to find implied meaning, so this is perfect, but it would be great for all the junior grades.
Sydney McClure
Good idea for five finger strategy for comprehension. It can also be text to self, text, and world strategy. Illustrations also help to convey moral of the story. Probably better to be read to first to third and then elaborated on in grades fourth and fifth.
Karen
Nov 16, 2009 Karen added it
Shelves: read-out-loud
I get what this book is about. It's not a fit for my girls though. It's kinda dark and I didn't like the fact that the boy went ahead with the tiger. I don't like any story where a kid goes off with a stranger.
John
This book was a great picture book read. It reflected gangs and how you dont have to join them.I was very impressed how the authour made it so serious for a picture book.
Emily Graham
This story of a little boy named Danny who is new in town is a great story to read to students that may be introduced to peer pressure or making friends with good people.
Jenna McRae
The illustrations to this book are important to pay attention to. The story is very interesting. I enjoyed this book. I would recommend thus book for an older aged student.
Brandi
Great book for children not to follow others, because sometimes those people aren't going the right direction. Instead they should be the leaders and do what is best to them.
Nick
A very complex, interesting metaphor for bullying, drugs, and gangs. it's cool because you can think whatever you want the metaphor to be about.
Alex
I didn't really like this short story, because I was forced to read it in school. It also wasn't very captivating to my interests.
Rachel
This book was pretty neat. I really liked the pictures and how the tiger changes through the story. It is a good story for kids to hear.
Emily Rosbottom
Being highly symbolic, this book would best be read to third through fifth grades. I loved the woodblock illustrations!
Lynn
Jun 11, 2008 Lynn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers and students
This is a great book to use when you're teaching kids the dangers of drugs or any addictive behaviors.
Rachel
resisting peer pressure, drugs, and the 'darker' side of life
Chris
Great book for discussing peer pressure, and gang affiliation.
Lupine
Brilliantly done allegory about gangs and the allure of being in one.
Marisa
A good book to use to teach students about peer pressure.
Pavitar
This book is more of a message from the author.
Julie Suzanne
Jul 10, 2009 Julie Suzanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone, but mostly kids 9-14? This is relevant to all of us.
Powerful!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall Scary, Scary Halloween S.O.S. Titanic