Start by marking “None Braver: U.S. Air Force Pararescuemen in the War on Terrorism” as Want to Read:
None Braver: U.S. Air Force Pararescuemen in the War on Terrorism

None Braver: U.S. Air Force Pararescuemen in the War on Terrorism

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From award-winning journalist and combat veteran Michael Hirsh comes the thrilling inside story of the Air Force's pararescue operations in Afghanistan. The first journalist to be embedded with an Air Force combat unit in the war on terrorism, Hirsh flew from Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, with the 71st Rescue Squadron to their expeditionary headquarters at a secret locati ...more
Published September 2nd 2003 by NAL Hardcover (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about None Braver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about None Braver

I'm embarrassed to say that up until a few months ago I had no idea who the Pararescue (PJ) were or that they even existed. I asked my friend when she mentioned them, "What is the difference between a Paratrooper and a Parajumper?" It was explained to me that they are Pararescue.
Fully trained in field medicine, able to do what a Paratrooper can do except they can also do everything that a team medic can do plus much, much more, they can jump from planes and choppers, rappel from choppers, and c
Gregory Dilcox
I really wish we could do half stars instead of just full stars because this book was really a three and a half star, not a four but I liked it more than I disliked it so I decided to round up. I really hand little to no information on the PJs of the Airforce which is a shame and I'm glad my friend gave me this book so I could learn a little more. Hirsh was very detailed with the missions of the PJs in Operation Enduring Freedom, really laying out how amazing it is that there is a division in th ...more
Chuck Springer
While I know who the PJ's are, the intense training that they go through and the medical education that they receive is quite impressive. I confess that I expected this book to detail the process for an airman to become a PJ. Yet this book skipped over that crucial element in molding these young men into supporting their motto, "That others may live".

This book was focused on operations during Operation Enduring Freedom. I was surprised by the critical approach to how several military decisions
Our mountain rescue team in Alaska works a lot with PJ's up here. They don't get close to enough credit for what they do or what they have to go through to do it. This book highlights some of their missions in Afghanistan. The book shines when it focuses on the PJ's, their training, and particularly the tragedy of Robert's Ridge. It does less well when the author is critiquing various decision makers (not that they don't deserve it in some instances; just that the book vacillates back and forth ...more
Aug 07, 2011 Moose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the military
Recommended to Moose by: The History Bookclub
It was a great read and one I enjoyed very much. The only complaint I had was that the author spent too much time complaining about the higher ups and commanders. These sections were littered with rhetorical questions and scathing opinions on the failures of the command. Whether or not the command is in the wrong or not, it was not appropriate to spend so much time on examining it. The book's subject is about the bravery of the Pararescuemen and the risk and sacrifices that they do for our count ...more
I received a free copy of this audiobook from a Goodreads Giveaway.

While the narrator did a terrific job lending a sense of place and gravity to the book, the author just didn't quite seem to catch that elusive suspension of disbelief in making you feel that you were there, at the moment, in the action. As a wife of an Air Force member and having worked as a civilian with an Air Rescue squadron, those little things that add realism and authenticity were lacking. A shame, really, because the subj
Some awesome stories about the heroes of heroes. Pararescuemen who sacrifice constantly, some who sacrifice it all so that others may live. Hirsh tells the stories well. In such a way that I might imagine myself there, navigating the helo, working on the trauma, watching for the enemy, dealing with temperatures of any extreme; all with so precious little time. I found this to be more of a collection of war and rescue stories, it wasn't one seamless book for me. Still an excellenet resource on so ...more
Wally Mountz
This was good book that gives an insight to the Air Force Pararescuemen. A couple times the author goes off-track and examines particular incidents to assign blame to the loss of men. However, generally this book is very detailed in discussing medical aspects and the military aspects of their job.
Beth Sullivan
Aug 18, 2010 Beth Sullivan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers interested in military books, Afghanistan, search and rescue, true heroes.
The only saving grace of this book is the brave soldiers and airmen whose stories are told. The authors writing is fairly poor. He frequently derails into informal 'chatty' paragraphs about irrelevant matters usually in the climax of a PJ mission to add salt to the wound. The book itself has quite a few errors missed in editing and most of the writing seems to be dictation of an informal chat rather than the quality of writing associated with a book
Pretty disappointed in the book - They barely mention PJ's! 3/4 of book was about an C-130 crashing on a mountain (with PJ's on board), Chinook crashing on the mountain (see a pattern here?) with PJ's on board.

I was hoping for a book that is similar to SEALs books where they describe the Indoc program, etc. but no...It is all about pilots. :(
Fredrick Danysh
The US Airforce has para-resucemen to jump into emergency situations and rescue downed aircrew among others. The author was imbedded with such a unit and writes about their endeavors. The introduction readers like a travel log and I thought was full of sarcasm. The book was read by Corey Snow.
Dio Aufa Handoyo
The middle of the book was okay, it's like the focus is not really on PJs, more to flying helos and planes. Best parts were the last chapters, the battle involving Rangers & SEALs and other special operations elements, that ultimately took the life of Senior Airman Jason Cunningham.
Jeffrey Carpenter
I loved this book. I found myself turning pages every time I read it, and I hated having to go to bed at night because I just wanted to continue reading it. It really gives you a sense of what happens in the daily life of a true American Hero.
Brendan Powell
Great book! Having worked with and been friends with many PJ's...I was excited to read about some of their missions, and I was also happily relieved to not see any names that I know. Great book that details many missions in Afghanistan.
Well written. Hard to believe hat this stuff took place over ten years ago...
Funny in parts, scathing criticism of of command staff in others. All in all, a good book about those who put themselves in harm's way "That Others May Live..."
Matt Boesch
To be honest I could not even finish this book, it was very poorly written and hard to follow. I felt that the author did not do justice to the true heroes that he was writing about.
This book has amazing descriptions of what it is like to fly helicopters and planes over the mountains in Afghanistan, and interesting medical details of rescue missions.
Mark Sequeira
Awesome book. A must read. Talks about the account(s) seen in the movie "A Perfect Storm" and many others. similar to "That others might live" another book about the same topic.
Great story on some AF history and some guys that don't get much media coverage. AF PJ's have very few books written about them, this one is a great read.
I enjoyed this book because of the information it provided into missions of the Pararescuemen in Afgahnastan.
Dec 11, 2010 Steven added it
This is a great book. The USAF para-rescue jumpers or PJ's are the greatest. Read about some true HEROES!
Rex Fuller
I may have read every book published about the PJs and this is among the best.
Jennifer Aupke
A bit choppy to read in parts, overa a great read.
Was a very good look into the life of PJ's during OEF.
Ian Johnson
Amazing. nothing else can describe it.
Nicole Whittaker
Nicole Whittaker is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2015
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • The Hunt for Bin Laden
  • No Room for Error: The Covert Operations of America's Special Tactics Units from Iran To Afghanistan
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
  • The Night Stalkers
  • Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Task Force Black
  • No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • The Mission, The Men, and Me: Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan
  • Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green: A Year in the Desert with Team America
  • Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's Fifty Years on the Frontlines of the War Against Terrorism
Michael Hirsh is the author of numerous books. During a 40-year career in broadcasting, he produced documentaries and specials for PBS, CBS, ABC and HBO, receiving multiple awards, including the Peabody.

He lives and writes in Punta Gorda, Florida
More about Michael Hirsh...