Start by marking “Hitler. Eine Biographie (Spiegel-Edition, #31)” as Want to Read:
Hitler. Eine Biographie (Spiegel-Edition, #31)

Hitler. Eine Biographie (Spiegel-Edition, #31)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,425 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Mit dieser Biografie begann ein neuer Abschnitt in der Hitlerforschung. Joachim Fest beantwortet die umstrittenen Fragen nach der überwältigenden Dynamik und dem furchtbaren Erfolg dieses Mannes. Er macht die Person Hitler in all ihrer Starrheit, Komplexgebundenheit und Beziehungsarmut auf anschauliche Weise lebendig.
Published February 26th 2007 by Spiegel-Verlag (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Hitler. Eine Biographie, please sign up.

Donato Colangelo No, the movie was based on another good book of the same author, "Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich". Fest was an able…moreNo, the movie was based on another good book of the same author, "Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich". Fest was an able narrator, his books on nazism are impressively good and, if I may, I would advice you to read Inside Hitler's Bunker.
Very good too, is another book, based on the resistance to nazism during the regime, "Plotting Hitler's Death", that is the book that introduced Fest to me. (less)

Eric
Mar 11, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this biography of Hitler—published in 1973 it was the first ever by a German writer—fell into my hands as serendipitously as such books always do (my reading is planful and curricular only when it comes to New World slavery, and Virginia Woolf), I did open it seeking answers to some definite questions. One of which is: in what milieu, and under what conditions, was Adolf Hitler considered not only a serious statesman, but a National Redeemer, and an inexorable Man of Destiny? And yeah, we ...more
Lewis Weinstein
UPDATE 6/12/13 ...

Fest's description of the events of January 1933 is utterly brilliant. So much detail, presenting in such an interesting manner. Plus there are observations and analysis that are, in my reading, unique. So many things had to come together to allow Hitler's terror to come to the world, some related to his own strategy, tactics and persistence, but more to the ignorance and lack of energy spread liberally among those who might have effectively opposed him.

***

PRIOR COMMENTS ...

I
Jeffrey
Dec 31, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-military
Great book, right up there with William L. Shirer's "Berlin Diary" and "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." A must-read for those interested in how Hitler came to power in Germany and the lessons and relevance to modern political demagogues and movements. Very long (700 pages) but it flies by if you're interested in the topic.
Wendy
Jun 23, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars really - a comprehensive look at the life and deeds of one of the central figures of World War II.
We all know about the concentration camps, the Holocaust, the forced sterilization and elimination of those considered "weak" or "feeble-minded". However, to characterize Adolf Hitler as just "evil" or "crazy" is a gross over-simplification. To justify Germany of that time accepting his leadership as somehow, being under hypnosis or trickery is also a disservice to history. The author ex
Mark
Nov 25, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
A great and insightful biography. We take history for granted, after all it DID happen, but this story as fiction would be unbelievable. I had a peculiar surreal dream-like feeling during the part of the biography covering the late 20s - you know, it's time to wake up now! I haven't read a lot of Hitler biographies, but this one certainly seems to give a coherent and consistent psychological picture. It makes you wish you could have been present (and had a revolver), and it makes me think again ...more
Darren Goossens
Sep 06, 2015 Darren Goossens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, military
Review from https://darrengoossens.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/the-hollow-man-filled-with-hate/.

Hitler by Joachim C. Fest, Weidenfeld and Nicholson, London, 1974. 844 pages. Translated by Richard and Clara Winston.
Title page of <i>Hitler</i> by J.C.Fest. Cancelled from the Monash University library. Title page of Hitler by J.C.Fest. Cancelled from the Monash University library.

This is a biography, though after about 1933 it really becomes a history of the third Reich, albeit one that pays even more attention that usual to the Führer's quirks and foibles -- for Hitler is always, alw
Chathamharrison
Mar 10, 2015 Chathamharrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doorstoppers
This book was time-consuming, the writing is florid (German is sometimes a pain, sometimes a delight when translated; this book features both), and the material is crushingly, appropriately serious. What little relief abides is in the passages illustrating the obsessive, nearly farcical aspects of Hitler's character. Don't let that scare you away.

In most histories, Hitler is described, sometimes accurately, too often not. In this book, more than any other, Hitler is understood. However great th
Robert Allen
Jan 02, 2013 Robert Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a very informative book not only about Hitler but the men around him. The author approaches the subject dealing only with fact leaving feelings and judgments behind.
Robert
Dec 06, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very very good read. tons of personal info and interesting facts. Spoiler alert: He's still a monster of unmatched magnatude!!!!!!
Kim
Jan 27, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the definitive biography of Hitler.
Agona Apell
Oct 10, 2014 Agona Apell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fest brings the reader face to face with the phenomenon that was Hitler:his humble origins, the passage through his formative influences, the revelation of his oratorical powers on which began the seemingly inexorable self-propulsion to the heights of power, the glory years when he presided over the economic and military recovery of Germany, the brilliant then catastrophic conduct of the war, and finally the shrinking of his power from the broad expanse of Europe to the narrow, shallow hole in w ...more
Donato Colangelo
For the non-historian it is difficult to give a brief account of the magnificent work of J. Fest presented in this book. A thoroughgoing, interesting, compelling and, above all, complete and satisfying account of the life of Hitler and of the political, cultural and economical conditions of Europe in its totality. One would expect an easy book to read, but the issue is too complicated, too extended and too entangled to be narrated in a short 400 pages book. In my opinion Fest gave us the right g ...more
Carlo
La lettura di questo libro è a tratti terribile. Non perché sia lungo quasi mille e cento pagine in cui a volte le subordinate si accatastano implacabili; e neppure a causa dei numerosissimi errori di stampa che, specie nella seconda metà, minano non solo l’ortografia ma pure la sintassi. Ciò che inquieta è il racconto di come un uomo con evidenti disturbi mentali riesca a conquistare il potere e il cuore di una nazione – per quanto questa possa essere malandata e alla ricerca di un futuro – sen ...more
Ted Newell
Jun 19, 2015 Ted Newell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heard this was one of the definitive general biographies. Reader gets a sense of the active politician dodging and weaving and often nearly losing in the lead up to the Beer Hall Putsch. History is contingent. What if. Here is a maker of history one wishes had not "succeeded" -- history is far from trends and forces, F. Braudel, the Annales school, and tectonic scale history notwithstanding.
Klaus Metzger
Apr 07, 2015 Klaus Metzger rated it really liked it
Shelves: klaus
Joachim Fest betrachtet die grausame Persönlichkeit Hitler in all seinen Facetten. Es entstand so eine neue Sicht auf die Zeit des Nationalsozialismus. Dies ist ein sehr interessantes aber auch anstrengendes Buch (Seitenzahl!).
Fritz
Jan 17, 2013 Fritz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was FORCED to read this treatise of Hitler's life for a History of World War Two course at the University of South Dakota. I found it to be overly complex, and the author had a tendency to attribute virtually every negative aspect of Hitler's over-analyzed life to the reason that Hitler did the things he did. It was an extremely difficult read. It was slow, excruciatingly detailed, and nearly as long as the man's life. It was way too much. I've sometimes thought about picking it up again and s ...more
David
Sep 16, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A penetrating portrait of evil by a former youth who fought in the Wehrmacht who later became a psychoanalyst. This book was so well researched and written that I may read it again. I did re-read sections on several occasions which will lead me to take on Ian Kershaw's most thorough biography.
Preethi
Jun 01, 2013 Preethi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a tough read. But the author doesn't simply write about Hitler, but paints a picture of Hitler's environment and the European society at that time. This leaves us with an understanding of how Hitler was able to perversely influence the nation to further his own agenda.
Ricardo
Feb 05, 2010 Ricardo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Después de buscarlo casi tan exhaustivamente como los rusos buscaron su cuerpo, esta biografía de Hitler la vine encontrado en una vieja librería de Madrid. Al fin lo tengo y lo conservo como una joya de la historia que me espera por leer. De todos modos, ya conozco el final.
Jack
Dec 15, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Majestic in scope, granular in detail, analytically sharp (except that it downplays the Holocaust by looking away from it and concentrating on the conduct of the war in the East).
Lindybeatty
Aug 24, 2009 Lindybeatty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a hard read(not sure if it was this exact book but was the same idea)This book was hard to take in you have to read the same part twice to Completely understand.I find history to be interesting and this book is very LONG!!!!!
Michelle
Feb 08, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, hitlerrific
I've read it twice, once when I was 10, then again in college. It was one of my first adult books, along with Helter Skelter. My dad left these 2 books next to the crapper along with a pile of LeCarre novels.
Enrico Della pietra
great research on whole Adolf Hitler profile, from his youth age to his death. great book, hard reading but necessary if you want to know deeply the life and actions of the German dictator.
Megatrend
Apr 07, 2008 Megatrend rated it it was amazing
Ich hab lange, lange dafür gebraucht aber es lohnt sich. Ganz, ganz groß! Ein absolutes muss für alle, die sich auch nur annähernd für das Thema interessieren
Henrik
Oct 08, 2014 Henrik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super exciting read about Hitlers life. Even if it isn't the definitive biography, it is well worth the read.
Zack
Jan 05, 2009 Zack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
a very chunky book, had too many details i don't care about
Daniel
Dec 08, 2007 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
an OK read if you are interested in that era.
Dave
Feb 25, 2010 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best biography of Adolph Hitler.
Unni
Mar 14, 2009 Unni rated it it was amazing
En av de viktigste bøker jeg har lest.
  • The Last Days of Hitler
  • The Dictators: Hitler's Germany, Stalin's Russia
  • Hitler, Vol 1: 1889-1936 Hubris
  • Hitler's Empire: How the Nazis Ruled Europe
  • Hitler's Army: Soldiers, Nazis, and War in the Third Reich
  • The Third Reich in Power (The History of the Third Reich, #2)
  • The Third Reich: A New History
  • The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town 1922-1945
  • The Nightmare Years 1930-40 (20th Century Journey, #2)
  • A Child of Hitler: Germany in the Days When God Wore a Swastika
Joachim Fest was a German historian, journalist, critic and editor, best known for his writings and public commentary on Nazi Germany, including an important biography of Adolf Hitler and books about Albert Speer and the German Resistance to Nazism. He was a leading figure in the debate among German historians about the Nazi period.
More about Joachim Fest...

“Neither blindness nor ignorance corrupts people and governments. They soon realize where the path they have taken is leading them. But there is an impulse within them, favored by their natures and reinforced by their habits, which they do not resist; it continues to propel them forward as long as they have a remnant of strength. He who overcomes himself is divine. Most see their ruin before their eyes; but they go on into it.1 Leopold von Ranke” 1 likes
“Battle” 0 likes