Start by marking “The Foolish Tortoise” as Want to Read:
The Foolish Tortoise

The Foolish Tortoise

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,196 ratings  ·  58 reviews
The tortoise decides that he's too slow, takes off his shell, and sets out to see the world twice as fast. After some scary encounters, he retraces his steps, climbs back into his home, and bids the world a cheerful “Goodnight.”
Board Book, 24 pages
Published October 1st 1998 by Little Simon (first published 1985)

Clairissa D
This book is about a turtle this dislikes his shell so he decides to take it off. After he takes off his shell he is encountered by many dangerous situations, some animals try to eat him,The sun is too hot for him to bare,and then it gradually becomes cold as it begins to get dark.After going through these things he decides that it is better to be in his shell rather than outside of it. I would use this text to discuss rhyming words with my students.
Alicia Scully
This book documents the story of a tortoise that wants to go out into the world and explore without his shell. He removes his shell and thus runs into multiple problems and adventures. This book is illustrated by Eric Carle and he brings his personality into the book in a way that readers will enjoy. I thought it was a beautiful book visually, but I wasn't quite sure what the message of the book was supposed to be and I found that disappointing.
Inna Nako
Grade K-1, Characteristics and basic needs of animals, Shelter of animal (specifically turtles)

-book about the tortoise trying to be like other animals
-at end, the best way to go is to be yourself, be unique
-can be incorporated in a lesson about tortoises (especially about their shells, since that is mostly what the story is about), many children might not even know what a tortoise is, so new vocabulary will also be introduced
Alexa Maring
This was not may favorite book due to the slightly pessimistic attitude the tortoise had throughout the story, but I still enjoyed the pictures illustrated by Eric Carle using his signature layering style. This book can be used as a picture walk book. Students can predict what the sequence and events will be in the story. They can also use the illustrations to infer the attitude or emotion of the turtle throughout the story.
Whitney Strickland
This is probably one of my favorite books. It is about a tortoise that wants to be faster so he removes his shells and sets out for the day. Not having his shell made him a little faster but it was much scarier being without it. This story has a nice message and the illustrations by Eric Carle are fantastic. The flow of the story is great because it rhymes and children love to hear it read aloud.
Luana
This book is great for students in Pre-K to 3rd grade. I think that this book can be used to teach students the importance of the shell of some animals. Why do you think turtles live in shells? I would use this book in the engage portion of a 5E lesson plan and ask students questions such as the one asked above. Eric Carle illustrates the potential danger that the turtle could get into without his shell.
Rob
I'm iffy on the message here. On the one hand, this is clearly a book that's saying: "Hey the grass is always greener until you're standing on it..." (Which is a fine message.) And on the other hand, they also seem to be saying "Don't bother trying to change or take risks because you'll only fail and be disappointed." And I can't really get behind that. Plus, the rhyme scheme isn't even that good.
April Castle
The asventure of the tortoise without his shell. He thought he would be faster and better, but he found out he missed his shell and protection. The theme is you don't realize everything you have got until you try out all the wrong things. Be proud of who you are, because everybody is unique and special in there own ways. Great book for students and to teach them the theme.
Cassandra Roach
This is one of the newest books that I bought for my 1 year old son. Even though there are more words to this book than some of his other books, he listed to each page and really enjoys reading this story. The pictures are nice and colorful and the story is good. I am sure that this will be worked into our nighttime story rotation soon with his other favorites!
Katie Williams
A story about a tortoise who wants to be more than who he is, but realizes he can be no one else but himself. A cute story to read to kids when discussing the importance of being yourself and respecting others. It's also written in a rhyming scheme, so it will be somewhat easy for beginning readers. A good collection for the classroom library.
Brittney
"The Foolish Tortoise" is a cute rhythmic book about a tortoise who wants to move faster. The Tortoise takes off his shell, but soon finds out he has no protection. He realizes what he has done is wrong. I would use this book to help teach my students not to be foolish. I hope it would show them not to take things for granite.
Lauren
Animals, Eric Carle, being content, different houses.

The tortoise is tired of being slowed down because of his shell. When he is able to shed his shell, he realizes that maybe have a shell was safer and warmer. After spending the entire day without his home, he returns to it, happily content and ready for bed.
Kathryn Joyce
This books shows how sometimes people, or a tortoise, doesn't realize what they have until it is gone. It would be a great book to teach loving yourself and encouragement. The book explains the journey a tortoise has when he decides to let go of his shell. I think students could make text to self connections with it.
Shelly Koressel
This poor little turtle takes off his shell to try to get through life a little faster. Then he realizes that he would be better off, taking it slow and being who he is. Good book about teaching children to make wise choices and to be happy with who you are. Good for 1st grade down to preschool age.
Anna
Mar 25, 2011 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and adults of all ages
Shelves: childrens
Eric Carle's illustrations can't be beat, and my 2 year old grandson loved this tale of a tortoise who decides he doesn't want to be constricted by his shell, and wants to run free and fast like other animals. Through a series of misadventures, he learns that being true to oneself is best.
Lydia
Oh, foolish turtle. Eric Carle offers an important lesson to be happy with what you have. The story also offers readers the opportunity to learn about being thankful. When stepping out into the unknow (which is okay), you can't forget the things that also keep you safe. There's a difference.
Heather Summers
I give this book 4 stars mostly because i love Eric Carle illustrations. But this book is also great for teaching patience. There is a moral to the story as well about what i perceive to be good things come to those who wait. There is also a good bit of rhyming in the text.
This book is about self image. The tortoise is unhappy with himself at first, but then appriciates himself for who he is. This is a good book to share with children and you can talk about why we are made the way we are. You can also look at positive ways to identify yourself.
Brittany Lockard
In this book a turtle takes off his shell so that he can speed through life like the other animals but soon realizes that he was better off in his shell. Good book for showing self love and acceptance of who we are and not trying to change to be like other people.
Alycia Boyce
This is a cute book about a tortoise who didn't want his shell, but experienced life without his shell and found it worse than having it. This book is great for teaching lessons about being grateful for what you have and a nice book for pointing out rhyming.
Shelby Moser
The Foolish Tortoise is about a turtle that dislike his shell, and therefore he leaves it behind. After leaving his shell he experiences many dangers, in which he had not experienced before. Animals attempt to eat him without his shell for protection, and the sun is very hot, and e also become very cold. He eventually goes back to his shell.
The theme of the story is the idea that although you may not like the way you are protected, it is necessary. The story encourages children not to take littl
Robert
The foolish tortoise dreamed of making himself better, so he cast off his burdens and went out to see the world. The world was a big scary place that made him regret following his dreams, so he crawled back into his shell in defeat, curled up, and went to sleep. The end.
Becky
This tortoise thinks he's too slow so he takes off his shell. He encounters some pretty scary stuff and decides that he likes his shell after all. Like the tortoise, don't be foolish, God made you the way he made you for a reason.
Kerri Harshaw
Another wonderful picture book illustrated by Eric Carle. The vivid, bright colors throughout the story allow the animals to pop right off the page! The author, Richard Buckley, provides a great rhyming text from ‘slow’ and ‘go’ to ‘went’ and ‘accident’. The Foolish Tortoise sends a great message about accepting who you are, because everything you are made up of is there for a reason. The book also allows for many great science activities. Just like the tortoise, all animals in the world are mad ...more
Karen Dransfield
A lovely story about a tortoise who learns that being who you are is sometimes the best way to live. And to try being someone, or something else might not feel right or be the best thing for you. Lovely artwork by Eric Carle.
Karin
This 1985 book is being released as a lap-size board book. THE FOOLISH TORTOISE follows a unhappy tortoise as he makes his decision to take off his shell so he can be faster. He longs to run like the horses and dogs that he sees, but once he gets out and about without his shell, he realizes how dangerous the world can be. He sees snakes and birds that will be able to eat him. The sun makes him hot and the rain makes him wet. Finally, after the wind makes him cold, he decides that he is ready to ...more
Shelley
Simple rhyming story about being wise and not trying to be without your shell if you are a tortoise.
TwoDrinks
This has a nice, easy-flowing rhyme to the words and of course, the lovely collages of Eric Carle. It was a really enjoyable read. The tortoise decides he's sick of being slow so he ditches his shell and goes off in search of adventure. Cue various scrapes he gets himself in to owing to his lack of shell. The moral: be yourself. As an aside, this appears to be an Eric Carle book, which it isn't, it's written by Richard Buckley. It seems a bit unfair to promote it based on the illustrator, well, ...more
Sarah W
Tortoise is sick of being slow so he abandons his shell and hurries out into the world. Without his protection, tortoise must hide from the likes of a hornet, a hungry bird, a fish, and a snake. Tortoise wants some speed and watches goggle-eyed as other animals race by before realizing what weather would do to shell-less him. It is a grateful tortoise that crawls back home into his shell at last.

This book has a lot to say about thinking things through and being prepared. It also could fit in wit
Jessica McIntyre
This book is really wonderful to read to children who sometimes are not so sure of themselves. The book is about a tortoise who does not like the burden of always carrying around such a large shell all the time, so he takes it off. However, he soon realizes that there are many reasons for having the shell on his back such as protection. In the end he puts his shell back on and is happy with the way he is. I read this book to my nephew and he was asking the whole time "why doesn't he just put his ...more
  • Rooster's Off to See the World
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • Six Crows
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • Good Morning, Good Night!: A Touch & Feel Bedtime Book
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • The Pirates Next Door
Richard Buckley is a freelance writer and editor as well as being a chartered accountant.

In addition to his poetry he has written short stories, children's books, and on business and professional subjects.

He worked in New York for five years and has also travelled in North and South America, Central Asia and Europe.

At the time of writing 'The Dutiful Penguin' he was living in Gloucestershire, marr
More about Richard Buckley...
The Greedy Python The Greedy Python ; And, The Foolish Tortoise Trams and Trolleybuses in Doncaster The Dutiful Penguin Zoology in Verse LORD BUCKLEY LIVE-AUDIO