Start by marking “The Origin of the Bible” as Want to Read:
The Origin of the Bible

The Origin of the Bible

Many books have been written about the Bible, but few explain its origins. This volume provides a fascinating overview of how the Bible was first inspired, canonized, read as sacred literature, copied in ancient Hebrew and Greek manuscripts, and eventually translated into the languages of the world. No other one-volume work can match this wealth of information about the hi ...more
Published December 17th 2003 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Origin of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Origin of the Bible

Nathan
In 2011, the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible heightened interest in what was already the world's most widely-read book. The "Authorized Version" of the Bible racked up a lot of print coverage, including the cover of National Geographic magazine, and even had a few books written about how the Book came to be.

With the public focused on the origin of one translation of the Bible, it was good timing for Tyndale to reissue a book about the Bible's origin the following year. Originally publi
Brent McCulley
Oct 17, 2013 Brent McCulley rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
One can hardly argue with the the scholarly contributors and well known theologians that aided in the process of writing this book. Even with such names as J.I Packer, and F.F. Bruce, on the front cover, I found this book to seriously be in want; of what I'm not quite sure, but something was definitely lacking.

Now of the substance, it was well researched, as always with such widely acclaimed theologians; nevertheless, the information presented here is easily attainable, and more readily present
Brad Stewart
Highly referential, rather than readable, it does a great job of explaining in depth how we can have faith in the Bible we read today. It explains the roots of The Bible from each culture and which versions of the Bible were used in translations to other languages. It even explores the complexity of translating from one language to another, and how difficult it is to capture the original meanings of the writer's original tongue. Highly recommend if you wonder how reliable our Bibles are today.
Gary Patton
An updated Christian treatment of this important subject. I recommend it to all Jesus Followers, as well as others, who desire a better and deeper understanding, in plain English, about the only Holy Book of all world religions which says it is the words of God,The One & Only, to humankind.

Mr. Comfort includes Chapters on each of the the principle issues in dispute written by various respected evangelical scholars.

Enjoy!

GaryFPatton (gfp '42)
David Haines
An interesting compilation of essays ranging from discussions of inerrancy and inspiration to various translations of the Bible. Some of the essays are extremely interesting, others are less interesting. All are purported to be scholarly works, but I personally found a number of them to be light reading, not addressing the depths of the questions at hand. It is however a book that is well worth the time to read it.
Adam Shields
Jan 03, 2012 Adam Shields rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up
I borrowed this on kindle so it expired before I finished it. So I can't comment about the end. Overall, I was not impressed. It just seems like it is fighting for an understanding of scripture that doesn't get us anywhere.

My slightly longer comments are on my blog http://bookwi.se/comfort/
vittore paleni
Jan 18, 2012 vittore paleni rated it really liked it
great collection of essays by reliable and trustworthy scholars about the origin of the Bible (a bit obvious considering the title). However, I did appreciate the greater discussion about how one aught to approach and expect from the Biblical texts.
Danny Bennett
Aug 10, 2011 Danny Bennett rated it did not like it
Shelves: theology-bible
It is a long book to get through. I probably would have appreciated it better if I didn't have a reading deadline. Some of the articles are very boring and you start to read things already stated in previous articles. Was not fun to read.
Amsk
Apr 13, 2009 Amsk rated it it was amazing
It's teaching a lot about how the more we learn about how humans put the Bible together, the more we realise it is nothing by God's work.
Timm
Apr 11, 2013 Timm rated it liked it
An excellent resource. It is very technical but in a very readable format. Lots of interesting insights into the origin of the Bible.
Phil
Apr 07, 2012 Phil rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Sound, accessible, Evangelically-slanted introduction to the highly technical topic of Biblical textual criticism.
Aaron
May 29, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it
Any questions about how we have the Bible we have today, great book.
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Simon Wilkins
Simon Wilkins marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Christin Weiskircher
Christin Weiskircher marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Selkie Narwhal
Selkie Narwhal marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Diego Pacheco torrealba
Diego Pacheco torrealba marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Howard Dhliwayo
Howard Dhliwayo marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Hillary White
Hillary White marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Juan
Juan added it
Aug 02, 2016
Genieve
Genieve rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Cynthia Giewald vidales
Cynthia Giewald vidales marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
D M
D M added it
Jun 24, 2016
Andrew Davenport
Andrew Davenport rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2016
Robert Wurtz II
Robert Wurtz II rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
  • The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible
  • How We Got the Bible
  • One Big Thing: Discovering What You Were Born to Do
  • "Fundamentalism" and the Word of God
  • What Have They Done with Jesus? Beyond Strange Theories & Bad History-Why We Can Trust the Bible
  • Your Work Matters to God
  • The Journey from Texts to Translations: The Origin and Development of the Bible
  • A Survey of Old Testament Introduction
  • From God To Us: How We Got Our Bible
  • Praying for Your Elephant: Boldly Approaching Jesus with Radical and Audacious Prayer
  • The Missing Gospels: Unearthing the Truth Behind Alternative Christianities
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • Has God Spoken?: Proof of the Bible's Divine Inspiration
  • The Problem With Christ: Why we don't understand Jesus, His enemies, or the early Church
  • Seven Reasons Why You Can Trust the Bible
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • The Dark Night of the Soul: A Psychiatrist Explores the Connection Between Darkness and Spiritual Growth
  • The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
Frederick Fyvie Bruce FBA was a Biblical scholar who supported the historical reliability of the New Testament. His first book, The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? (1943), was voted by the American evangelical periodical Christianity Today in 2006 as one of the top 50 books "which had shaped evangelicals".
More about F.F. Bruce...

“The greatest importance of the Dead Sea Scrolls...lies in the discovery of biblical manuscripts dating back to only about 300 years after the close of the Old Testament canon.” 2 likes
“But a central message there is, and it is the recognition of this that has led to the common treatment of the Bible as a book, and not simply a collection of books - just as the Greek plural biblia (books) became the Latin singular biblia (the book).” 1 likes