Start by marking “Sacred Choices: The Right to Contraception and Abortion in Ten World Religions” as Want to Read:
Sacred Choices: The Right to Contraception and Abortion in Ten World Religions

Sacred Choices: The Right to Contraception and Abortion in Ten World Religions

Major religious traditions contain strong affirmations of the right to family planning, including contraception and when necessary, abortion.
Published January 3rd 2001 by Augsburg Fortress Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Choices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Choices

Christine Tran
Jan 21, 2011 Christine Tran rated it really liked it
Another great book read in Women's Studies. Professor Renae Bredin gave another excellent book. Although the style of writing was different for each section, I was intrigued with the stance that each person wrote in their essay. I think this book gave me another great insight in different religions of the world. This is something worth reading if you want to be exposed to different religions, especially if you're not familiar with it. Because I came from a Buddhist/Daoist/Confucianist background ...more
Colleen
Jul 06, 2007 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in sexuality, abortion, religion
Shelves: sexuality, women, religion
This is an well-executed book about a treacherous social crossroads- abortion and religion. And it was written by a priest turned professor of ethics. If you are at all interested in reproductive rights, religion, ethics or the status of women, this is a worthwhile read. Considering the subject matter, Maguire could have easily hidden behind rhetoric, sound bites or academia, but he doesn't. It's a very intelligent and simultaneously accessible read.
Rachel
Jan 24, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Though I make no bones about being pro-choice, I think anyone who is a religious scholar can appreciate the easy-to-read guide through ten major world religions and their stances that are both pro-life and pro-choice.

It's true what he says in the preface: "Conventional wisdom says that religions are invariably anti-choice when it comes to contraception with abortion as a backup when necessary. This restrictive viewpoint is indeed found in the world religions, and it is a perfectly reasonable and
Paige
Aug 19, 2012 Paige rated it really liked it
This is a worthwhile read for all the new information I learned about. It's true that the most conservative, anti-choice, anti-woman sectors of religions are often the loudest. Not having grown up with any particular faith, and not being a member of any major religion, I've only heard that anti-choice contingent speaking for everyone. I was surprised to hear about the actual right to abortion in religions like Catholicism and fundamentalist Protestantism, Judaism and Islam. I was less surprised ...more
Adam
Feb 01, 2008 Adam rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fellow feminists and those reconciling progressive politics with their, or others, spirituality
On a progressive religion reading stint right now. Had this one lying around for awhile and finally got around to reading it. More a resource for the pro-choice space in major world religions than a book read for the pleasure of words. A nice primer to the false presentation of many religions as all espousing a forced pregnancy, anti-sex position.
The_Coat Hanger_Project
Feb 16, 2008 The_Coat Hanger_Project rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-reads
Daniel Maguire's book really opened my eyes to the ways different religions interpret, explain, and understand family planning and abortion. I was surprised to find they contain strong affirmations of the right to family planning, including contraception and when necessary, abortion.
Amy P.
Jun 12, 2009 Amy P. rated it liked it
Reproductive Rights 101 called, and they approved this book. This is an interesting take on Religious leaders and a woman's right to choice. It is well thought out and articulated well.
jessica
Apr 04, 2007 jessica rated it liked it
Interesting but kind of redundant. As I recall, he frequently returns to the theme of overpopulation and maternal health as moral dilemmas.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Kimmie
Kimmie marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Joana
Joana marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Barbfn45yahoo.Com
Barbfn45yahoo.Com rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Dawn Serra
Dawn Serra rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Katie Chilcoat
Katie Chilcoat rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Amanda Roberts
Amanda Roberts marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Lyssa
Lyssa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Saraswathy
Saraswathy marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 17, 2016
Uucwrec
Uucwrec marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jessica Hill
Jessica Hill rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Anna Pittman-such
Anna Pittman-such marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Adam Ross
Adam Ross rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Teresa King
Teresa King marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015