Start by marking “Don't Just Do Something, Sit There: A Mindfulness Retreat with Sylvia Boorstein” as Want to Read:
Don't Just Do Something, Sit There: A Mindfulness Retreat with Sylvia Boorstein

Don't Just Do Something, Sit There: A Mindfulness Retreat with Sylvia Boorstein

Get away from doing and into being with this lively, down-to-earth guide to your own meditation retreat by beloved mindfulness meditation teacher Sylvia Boorstein. Presenting what Jon Kabat-Zinn has called "endearingly personal mindfulness wisdom," she offers a three-day retreat plan accompanied by timeless lessons -- always grounded in real life -- on how anyone can achie ...more
Published February 16th 1996 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Don't Just Do Something, Sit There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Just Do Something, Sit There

Deborah
May 19, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
Mindfulness cultivates the habit of not getting angry with life because it isn’t happening in the way we’d like
the mind becomes confused and fatigued chasing pleasant experiences and running away from unpleasant experiences
the chasing and running creates tension in the mind. that is suffering

pay attention: attentive sitting and alert walking

keep everything simple:

Paul Revere had the words “Live Contented” inscribed on the wedding ring he gave to his spouse.

The real work of mindfulness is accomm
David Glasgow
May 09, 2012 David Glasgow rated it it was amazing
The title of this book is excellently chosen. "Don't Just Do Something" is a challenging, encouraging, caring book about nothing—which is an excellent find for someone whose days are much, much too full of "something."

The book presents itself as a manual for a three-day mindfulness retreat (arrive, sit, walk, sit, tea, sleep, etc.), so I was at first tempted to put the book down and scan the library shelves for another alternative. (I don't have TIME for a three-day retreat on mindfulness! I'm t
Jim
Jan 10, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2013
A word of warning, this is really a book about meditation retreats. I did not use it that way but more as a book for reflecting on the process of meditation. Although it worked for me in that way, I think it would be more useful for a person planning a retreat. This author writes from the Buddhist perspective, soit that offends you you may want to avoid it. That said, I think anyone, not just a Buddhist, will find value in the insights the author shares.
Mommyhungry
Jun 14, 2012 Mommyhungry rated it really liked it
This book lends itself to be read a bit at a time. I am so inspired by Boorstein's descriptions of a do-it-yourself meditation retreat that I am excitedly planning mine. I highly recommend this to anyone exploring mindfulness and meditation.
Francine
Sep 29, 2014 Francine rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first mindfulness books I read and it made an impression. It just came back to me while I was in meditation in yoga class.

Highly recommended; I have learned from and enjoyed much of Sylvia Boorstein's writing.
Mary Follis
Mar 21, 2016 Mary Follis rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for a do-it-yourself retreat, or a good way to brush up on what meditation is, why do it and how to do it. Even better the second time around, and very useful to me during a retreat of one.
Liz
Jan 01, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Sylvia Boorstein! She is one of the most accessible Buddhist teachers I know. This book is full of useful, practical advice for doing a solitary retreat. Now if I could just find time to go on one... Thank goodness it is also completely applicable to one's regular meditation practice, too!
Laura Lee
Jun 05, 2012 Laura Lee rated it it was ok
I am not a big meditator but this was on my shelf, I must have thought I would be! That was back in 1996! It was interesting, with some good advice on how to meditate. Made me want to go on a retreat! The best message: live contentedly.
Juergen
Apr 18, 2014 Juergen rated it really liked it
Nice book on how to hold your own self-directed retreat. Great tips on practices, schedules, things that might arise when one is doing serious practice. Feels much more directed to the new yogi, or one who might be interested in deepening things.
Barbara Newhall
Jul 04, 2015 Barbara Newhall rated it it was amazing
This is another of my big favorite books of all time. Boorstein tells great spiritual truths -- usable by Christians, Jews, atheists, and, of course, Buddhists -- through down-to-earth stories. She's very much present in this book. And she's great company.
Adaś
Feb 09, 2009 Adaś rated it it was amazing
Very helpful. Boorstein's descriptions of the processes and focal points of mindfulness meditation are some of the clearest and most encouraging I've come across.
Kathy
Jun 22, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
This has several exercises you can sneak in everyday. I'm looking forward to trying a full weekend sometime though!
Satia
Jul 13, 2008 Satia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: buddhist, mediation
Actually one of those 3.5 star books. For the full review:

Andd Becker
Aug 17, 2013 Andd Becker rated it liked it
Instructions for meditation are given. The reader can learn principles of mindfulness and attentiveness.
Cristina
Aug 13, 2016 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Lovely, simple, accessible. I'm planning to follow her guidance for meditation exercises and things to consider while sitting and not thinking. :)
Rita Jensen
Mar 29, 2009 Rita Jensen rated it really liked it
Sometimes "doing nothing" does more than all the busy ness that we fill our lives with in order to feel important.
Margaretflynn
Nov 04, 2009 Margaretflynn rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful little book.It's recommended for anyone who would like to establish a meditation practice, or who needs to come back to basics after letting their practice slide.
Trish Rux
Trish Rux rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Mark J.
Mark J. rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Michelle Weatherson
Michelle Weatherson rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Todd Reid
Todd Reid rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Tess Olson
Tess Olson rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Deborah Dunn
Deborah Dunn rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Dr. Candice
Dr. Candice rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2009
Steve Zimcosky
Steve Zimcosky rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2009
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
May 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Body Image Workbook: An Eight-Step Program for Learning to Like Your Looks
  • The Zen Teachings of Jesus
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • Eat Sleep Sit: My Year at Japan's Most Rigorous Zen Temple
  • Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans to Bring You Joy
  • Gardening at the Dragon's Gate: At Work in the Wild and Cultivated World
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • Trusting Yourself: Growing Your Self-Awareness, Self-Confidence, and Self-Reliance
  • A Still Forest Pool: The Insight Meditation of Achaan Chah
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • The Thich Nhat Hanh Collection:  Peace is Every Step; Teachings on Love; The Stone Boy and Other Stories
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • The Self-Compassion Diet: A Step-By-Step Program to Lose Weight with Loving-Kindness
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
  • The Nest Newlywed Handbook
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
Sylvia Boorstein (born 1936) is an American writer and Buddhist spiritualist.
More about Sylvia Boorstein...

“Mindfulness meditation doesn't change life. Life remains as fragile and unpredictable as ever. Meditation changes the heart's capacity to accept life as it is. It teaches the heart to be more accommodating, not by beating it into submission, but by making it clear that accommodation is a gratifying choice.” 21 likes
“Don't just do something, sit there!” 0 likes