The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: a handbook of mental training based on the the buddha's way of mindfulness, With an Anthology of Relevant Texts translated from the Pali and Sanskrit.

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A handbook of mental training based on the Buddha's way of mindfulness. A classic in the field.
Published June 1st 1973 by Weiser Books

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Buddhist Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Buddhist Meditation

Leon M
I read "The Heart of Buddhist Meditation" because Erich Fromm repeatedly mentions and recommends the book in his various works from "To Have or To Be" to "The Art of Being".

Author's writing books on meditation always have a hard job because meditation is something so inherently practical that, actually, you can only really learn about it by doing it. "The Heart of Buddhist Meditation" has an even more difficult job because it focuses on the theoretical underpinnings of the satipatthna meditation...more
Keegan
I read this because I am a sheep (it's on Sam Harris' recommended booklist). Best book on meditation I've ever read. I have this problem where I only believe things I read in books, so no matter how many times Shugen tells us to "maintain the thread of concentration" through sesshin, I don't listen. But I listen to Nyanaponika Thera.

I just spent three days in an empty room, and I couldn't have been peachier. I am totally enthused to rock out the last four months at ZMM.
Brendan
one of the better commentaries on the sattipatthana sutta i've read; the writing is clear and concise, geared somewhere in the middle ground between hardcore buddhist scholar and curious neophyte. if you've had at least an introduction to sutta-based meditation systems (vipassana, insight, etc.), this is worthwhile reading to deepen both your understanding of the technique and its connection to scriptural buddhist teaching.
Reid
An excellent exegesis of the Satipatthana Sutta. Thera has a vast experience to draw on and a very wise and specific knowledge of this sutta. Having said that, it would probably not be very interesting to those who are not familiar with Buddhist writings; he can be more than just a bit esoteric at times. But if you are interested in this sort of thing, there are, to my knowledge, few better guides.
Alex
This book is more difficult than most of the Buddhist books I've been reading. It takes a decidedly theoretical approach both in content and tone. However, it introduced me to some useful concepts, such as cultivating an attitude of "Bare Attention" to whatever arises in your mind, without adding extra judgments. If judgment arises, you simply try to notice that with Bare Attention.
Phillip Moffitt
This is an excellent, in-depth description of mindfulness practice and its benefits. It includes a concise explanation of clear comprehension, which is the kind of mindfulness you use in the course of your daily life. It also presents an easily understandable explanation of the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.
Craig Shoemake
A must read, foundational text for understanding satipatthana--the four foundations of mindfulness (aka vipassana). In fact, I might almost say if you've got this and put it to work, it will be a long time before you need anything else. Highly recommended.
Todd
This is an excellent book on the deeper aspects of meditation, not easy to understand without some previous experiential knowledge. This book is not for the beginner or curiosity seekers.
Robin Morris
Simply the best book on Meditation I have found. Not for the beginner, but for someone who wants more insight into the process.
Michael Sage
Excellent, if somewhat dated, interpretation of mindfulness meditation in Theravada Buddhism.
Saul
Excellent introduction to the sattipatthana sutta.
Leah
I keep re-reading this one.
Ale
Ale marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Bonnie Day
Bonnie Day marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Matthew French
Matthew French marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Jen Ang
Jen Ang marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Jmp
Jmp is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Josh Yuter
Josh Yuter marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Douglas Leslie
Douglas Leslie marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Great Disciples of the Buddha: Their Lives, Their Works, Their Legacy Abhidhamma Studies: Buddhist Explorations of Consciousness and Time The Power Of Mindfulness (Mindfulness Series 3) Numerical Discourses Of The Buddha Anguttara Nikaya Discursos del Buda 42