Start by marking “Blood Red” as Want to Read:
Blood Red

Blood Red (Earthling Halloween Series #1)

For years, Halloween has been a time for celebration in picturesque Black Stone Bay, RI. But this year, things will be very different. This year, the town will learn that things that go bump in the night are not always figments off the imagination.
Mass Market Paperback, 401 pages
Published September 4th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Red

William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
No one was more surprised at how good this book was then I was. James A. Moore was on my probation list after receiving back-to-back two-star reviews for his last two books. I almost didn't pick this one up, but I decided to give him one more chance. Needless to say, I was fairly blown away.

Blood Red is a rather large scale story set in a small town, very well written, with characters I really enjoyed learning about. The slow buildup was a gamble, but one that -- for me -- paid off tremendously
Peter
Feb 13, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it
Review to Follow!
Robi
Nov 13, 2008 Robi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes gory and vamps
Recommended to Robi by: saw it, read the back, bought it
If you are looking for a good, gory vampire book...this is a good one. I read reviews on this author and was told that he is just as a good as Koontz or King. I wouldn't say he is better but he may be just as good. It was well written and I throughly enjoyed it.
Eric
Dec 05, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Very fun vampire novel from James A. Moore! I love that this one keeps the vampires mean and monstrous. The story really builds to an epic finale with lots of threads open for a sequel (and there is one, Blood Harvest!) Recommended to fans of real vampire horror!
WendyB
Oct 25, 2015 WendyB rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Creepy and good, but geez... did everyone in the town have to be as horny as 17 year old boys? Less sex references and more scares, please.
Andi
Jan 08, 2016 Andi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Jordan Ross
Oct 18, 2016 Jordan Ross rated it it was amazing
couldn't stop reading, now I need the next one
Esther
Apr 17, 2008 Esther rated it it was ok
Blood Red is pretty decent for a Vampire book. Blood Red is inappropriate at first with sexual context when Maggie, one of the characters, is introduced. There were a lot of characters' stories that were told in third-person, so there are a lot of perspectives when reading this book. Although some people dislike books that jump from one character to another, Blood Red creates a connection that makes this method work. I also commend the author for writing this book so thoroughly. I have always l ...more
Craig
Oct 18, 2008 Craig rated it liked it
Recommended to Craig by: www.fangoria.com
Taking a break from "The Year of Mystery" (sort of!) for a good old-fashioned Horror indulgence, in the spirit of Halloween! I'm a sucker for a good vampire tale (no pun intended, ha!), but I am very particular - I want my vampires to be brutal, scary, and evil. So in that regard, "Blood Red" was great. The first half of the book is reminiscent of "Salem's Lot" (the best vampire story ever written), with a building sense of dread... Unfortunately the climax wasn't as fulfilling, and as a result ...more
Marla Madison
Nov 22, 2015 Marla Madison rated it liked it
This book was loaded with plot development and characters, but could have been (should have been) shorter. History blurbs about the city were sprinkled throughout, most of which readers will ignore. I know I did. And, in general, the book was just overly wordy. Disappointing, as the storyline was a good one and did keep me reading to the end.
Brian Mazur
Feb 19, 2013 Brian Mazur rated it really liked it
Carefully paced. Good characterization. Solid. All things I love in a good book. This is a good book. Horror is my favorite genre. I am not big on vampire novels though. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Couldn't wait to return to it each night.
Elizabeth
Jul 28, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
A good ol' vampire story with the classic massacre and a creepy, resilient villain. Smooth, engaging dialogue, too!
Miriam B. Sayer
Jul 14, 2010 Miriam B. Sayer rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
James Moore isn't f*****g around...
Like the Stephen King classic, Salems Lot, Moore takes on a whole town infested with vampires.
Outi
Mar 24, 2014 Outi rated it really liked it
Shelves: koneella, horror
Not your average vampire book these days. These vamps are not sexy or cunning and definitely not sparkly. These vamps are what nightmares are made of.
Gary McCluskey
Aug 01, 2009 Gary McCluskey rated it liked it
Started off like it would be a really fun vampire story. Seemed to kind of peter out' as it came to an end. Lots of loose ends, but a very good 'voice' to it.
Jade M.
May 12, 2010 Jade M. rated it it was amazing
I got this book when browsing Barnes and Noble, looking for something to read. The book reminds me of an early Stephan King, but I enjoyed the story more then I normally enjoy Stephan King.
Terra
Jul 30, 2011 Terra rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Vampire novel, it keeps to many of the popular Vampire stereotypes we've developped but at the same time adds differences that make it unique!
Shannon Hemminger
Jun 30, 2015 Shannon Hemminger rated it really liked it
New twists on the Vampire genre... Strong characters that are each battling their own personal demons. Entertaining read.
Dj
Dj rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Reeda
Reeda rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Tom Owen
Tom Owen rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Horror
Linda Diaz
Linda Diaz rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Kerri
Kerri rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
James
James rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Krimson
  • Night Show
  • Primitive
  • House of Blood
  • Live Girls
  • Unhappy Endings (Digital Edition)
  • Down the Road: On the Last Day
  • Riverside Blues
  • Like Death
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • Nailed by the Heart
  • Halloweenland
  • A Room For The Dead
  • Coffin County
  • Valley of the Scarecrow
  • Darkfall
  • Remains of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #2)
  • The Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn, Made in Texas)
James A. Moore is the award winning author of over forty novels, thrillers, dark fantasy and horror alike, including the critically acclaimed Fireworks, Under The Overtree, Blood Red, the Serenity Falls trilogy (featuring his recurring anti-hero, Jonathan Crowley) and his most recent novels, seven Forges, The Blasted Lands, City of Wonders , The Silent Army and the forthcoming The Last Sacrifice ...more
More about James A. Moore...