Start by marking “Child of Fortune” as Want to Read:
Child of Fortune

Child of Fortune

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In the exotic interstellar civilization of the Second Starfaring Age, youthful wanderers are known as Children of Fortune. This is the tale of one such wanderer, who seeks her destiny on an odyssey of self-discovery amid humanity's many worlds. Arresting and visionary, Child of Fortune is a science-fictional On the Road.
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published July 1st 1986 by Spectra (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Child of Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of Fortune

Michael Alexander
Mar 25, 2008 Michael Alexander rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hallucinogen-fiends, loopy 60s SF-heads, people who like james joyce and bad beat poetry
This is the most ragingly 1960s book I've ever read that wasn't produced by '72. Somehow, it took Spinrad till the mid-'80s to sum it ALL up in the form of an idealized coming-of-age-in-space story set in a culture with a pronounced "journeyman" phase that's celebrated as the cornerstone of identity-building; yes, this is in the same universe as the Void Captain's Tale, which is all about spaceships powered by mentally unstable women strapped into mindblowing-orgasm machines, which probably hint ...more
Child of Fortune found me when I was a teenager. It was the first book I read with a female character who was encouraged (pushed even) into taking control of her whole life, including her sexuality.

This is the type of coming-of-age story I wish more girls could experience in real life - that the world is huge and full of the terrific and terrible, that our individual realities are shaped by how we act and with whom we associate, and that it is not only okay but important to enjoy lovers and fri
Norman Spinrad wrote numerous novels and short stories, mostly in science fiction, and is still writing today. His blog is http://normanspinradatlarge.blogspot....

_Child of Fortune_ by Spinrad is one of the most wonderful novels I ever read, an under-rated classic of science fiction. It is the opposite of a dystopian novel: it shows a future, which, at least for me, is quite desirable. Two notable elements of this far future is that the human race has colonized hundreds of worlds, and that every
Vivian Williams
My initial impression of this book was that anyone in their late teens and twenties should read this, if only for the psychological discourse on youth and spiritual (as well as physical) wanderlust and love of adventure. But as it went on, it developed into something far more sweeping and universal: a tale about the power of tales and their eternal place at the very heart of humanity. And Spinrad wraps up the conclusion both in a satisfying way on this larger, philosophical level, and in the per ...more
I picked this up at Powell's because I remembered loving it as a kid. Apparently I was hypnotized by the combination of two dollar words and sex, because that's all this book consists of. Spinrad is especially fond of 'puissance', 'hypnogogic' and 'lingam'.

Here's a random sentence: "In truth, as I knew even then, the weltanschauung which had so consumed my soul with dread under the influence of the psychotropic had been little more than the heightened subjective apprehension of the rudiments of
Started this but having a hard slog as the whole thing is written in a kind of neo-Victorian patois that is damned annoying...
I like Norman Spinrad. A lot. I like his snarky humor, his neo-anarchic politics, his fine eye for satire. That being said, this is just about the worst damn novel I've ever read. Meant as (apparently) a kind of hippy Bildungsroman, it is instead a disjointed mess of uninteresting characters, contrived plot and that godawful annoying pretentious repetitious in-universe di
Marsha Wilcox
Hippie, quirky, full of ideas that make you say "I wonder if that'd work?" I liked it the first time I read it as a counter-culture book in my late teens, and found more depth when I re-read it almost 4 decades later.

What would it be like to be given a year or so to wander and find your true calling? What if society was set up with the expectation that all teens would do this?

What would your true calling have been?
jojo the burlesque poetess
lent to me by Laurie/libramoon (producer of "emerging visions" ezine) and oh my gosh it is so much fun. erudite franglais and then some. a gibberish even i can say is a bit bizarre, however easy it is for me to understand, given, similar hippy linguisilliness i write in myself...
This book (and author) are perennial favorites of mine; in particular his post-global polyglot writing style infects any sci-fi I even think about writing.
Lyrical and flowery language, including the use of a polyglot narrator, that borders on poetry but can get in the way at times.

Enjoyed the writing a lot, but I can see how some people may not enjoy the style in this book. The book was published in the 80s, but had an amazingly 1960s/70s feel to it - mind altering substances and tantric and liberal sex.

Plot was pretty straightforward - just a journey. Not a lot of character to character conflict, but somehow the narrative still moves forward.

A un
Will forever remain my favorite.
Norman Spinard's science fiction tale takes place in a distant Utopian future where humanity has left Earth and colonized some three hundred planets in our race's quest for the ever elusive frontier. We open on a water world that feels like a tropical jungle where people live in buildings suspended or built on the complex root structures (similar I imagine to the Lost coast of Florida ).

Here our narrator, a young female around the age of 17 or 18 years, explains to us some intricacies of human
"A young girl's erotic journey from Milan to Minsk..." oops, wrong plot, that was from Seinfeld. Anyway, that is probably not too far off a review for this book. Basically, it is a science fiction story of a girl's Golden Summer of traveling vagabond style across the universe to find her destined path on the Yellow Brick Road.

Moussa Shasta Leonardo (aka Sunshine, aka Wendi) is an intriguing character and the story does try to capture both the romantic ideals of the 1960s Hippie lifestyle and co
Andrew S  Taylor
A flawed jewel. Narrated by a young woman from a privileged family in a future, interplanetary society, it is basically a soul-searching travelogue - in space. Just to funk it up a little, Spinrad gives her a sort of futuristic, neo-Edwardian/Cajun dialect. Yes, really. It borders on extreme silliness too many times to mention, especially in descriptions of tantric sex, of which there are many (oddly enough, though they are wordy and elaborate, they don't actually "show" much).

There is so much a
Otis Campbell
'Cause it's soon one morning
Down the road I'm going
But I ain't going down
That long old lonesome road
All by myself
But I ain't going down
That long old lonesome road
All by myself
Steve Joyce
This is a sixties book somehow even though it wasn't published that far back.

Now, some say that the 60s were about sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. Well, there's plenty of the 1st 2 in abundance. But that's just not enough to properly sustain it throughout.

The tale did pick up momentum as it went along and did have a poignant finale. Add this to Spinrad's ability as a stylist and Child of Fortune rates as a near miss.

Brilliant sci fi satirical rendering of the "war" between the sexes published in 1979 which I read and enjoyed in the 80's. A recent tour of Amazon reviews makes me want to recommend it here and consider revisiting it myself. A "pacific" colony of near equality between genders on planet Pacifica is disrupted by opposing new factions in the form of radical feminists and male neofascists.
Apr 03, 2008 Jaeme rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a taste for the fantastic and unusual.
Recommended to Jaeme by: Lori Biletnikoff
This is one of the "bestest/funnest" books I've ever read. It's the tale of a girl's "interstellar life and travels" as she grows to womanhood, and it takes you through some fascinating places and amazing adventures. The characters are colorful, unique, and very memorable.

I've read it at least twice in my life, and I intend to read it again as soon as I can lay hands on a copy.
A parable set in a futuristic, space faring society, it is the best novel about being a flowerchild of the 60's I have ever encountered.
Quite frankly, I enjoy this book somewhat against my will and definitely against my better judgement...
Sarah Sammis
The description pretty much says it all.
Mary Bala
Mary Bala marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Amanda Beck
Amanda Beck marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Jayda marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Giannisb marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Harrison marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
  • Earthclan
  • The Best of Cordwainer Smith
  • Nothing Sacred
  • An Alien Heat (Dancers at the End of Time, #1)
  • All the Traps of Earth
  • Earthworks
  • Eternal Light (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #3)
  • The Legion of Space
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Windfall
  • Players at the Game of People
  • Those Who Watch
  • Dreamships
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • Starburst
  • The Big Time
  • Dark is the Sun
Born in New York in 1940, Norman Spinrad has been an acclaimed SF writer.

Norman Spinrad, born in New York City, is a graduate of the Bronx High School of Science. In 1957 he entered City College of New York and graduated in 1961 with a Bachelor of Science degree as a pre-law major. In 1966 he moved to San Francisco, then to Los Angeles, and now lives in Paris. He married fellow novelist N. Lee Woo
More about Norman Spinrad...
Bug Jack Barron The Iron Dream The Void Captain's Tale Little Heroes Agent of Chaos