Start by marking “To the Limit: The Untold Story of the Eagles” as Want to Read:
To the Limit: The Untold Story of the Eagles

To the Limit: The Untold Story of the Eagles

Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner
Published October 1st 1998 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about To the Limit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Limit

Lisa
Feb 10, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
For any fan of the Eagles or the Classic Rock artists of the area (Fleedwood Mac, etc.), an entertaining and in-depth chronicle of how the band came to be, their infamous falling out, and the sex, drugs and rock and roll in between.
Simeon Readingape
p. 129 "She became pregnant, and neither doubted Henley was the father. The "situation" was resolved quickly and quietly when Nicks, between tour dates, had an abortion. Although Henley did not try to force the issue, according to friends, she was deeply upset about what she considered his fast and easy consent to her decision. Nicks took it as Henley's way of saying he wasn't interested in any type of serious long-term commitment. As had become his pattern, in the beginning Henley played the ul ...more
Mark
Feb 03, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good bio of one of my favorite bands – The Eagles. The author describes how the band came together with help from Kenny Rogers, David Geffen and Bob Seger. It was interesting to read how the two leaders of this band, Glen Frey and Don Henley, gravitated to LA and the music scene there which was really beginning a great run there in the 1970’s. Then the book goes through the growth of the band and its eventually becoming the mega stars on the back of Hotel California. After that we read ab ...more
Diane
Apr 14, 2016 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to reading my guilty pleasures: Rock and Roll biographies.

I've always enjoyed the music of the Eagles but didn't know a lot about them. I knew Glenn Frey was from the Detroit area. I knew that he and Don Henley had a lot of discord in the later years and I knew that there were various other band members that came and left over the years. That was about it.

I learned more about the California rock scene in the 70's and early 80's...whew! How did such great song writing evolve from such a dru
Robert
Mar 11, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing
I was inspired to look up this book after hearing about Glenn Frey's recent death. The Eagles were a staple of the rock radio stations I'd listen to as a teen in 1980's. Their music seemed the perfect backdrop of early love's and relationships. I felt they were there many times as someone who knew what joy's and heartaches I was going through at the time.

The book covers their history from the their childhoods to their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the late 90's. It is filled
Hal
Apr 20, 2016 Hal rated it liked it
The story of the Eagles in all its gory details is laid out here by Marc Eliot. Well almost, despite there unprecedented level of success in the ultra turbulent world of rock & roll struggle would be that apt word to sum them up. Driven mostly by the feuding between Frey and Henley the others were not far from the fray in the continuous battles and disagreements. Not a particularly enlightening read it does convey the ups and downs, mostly downs adequately. The amazing thing about this group ...more
Golddie
Jul 08, 2012 Golddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book. Great oversight into the California music after the 1960s; the author's analysis of that era and the Eagles' part in it is fascinating. There is great detail on the Eagles' rise to the top, the power dynamics among the group members, and the flaws in their working relationships that tore the band apart over and over. You'll never view the Eagles the same again after reading this book, especially Henley, and to a lesser extent, Frey.
Robert James
Feb 13, 2016 Robert James rated it it was ok
Read this book due to the death of Glenn Frey. The Eagles are not one of my favorite bands but they are probably in my top twenty. I have great respect for the music produced in such a short span covering one great album, four very good albums and one mediocre album. This book says it presents the untold story but you can get most of the story from the 3 hour documentary currently on Netflix.
Paul Garns
Sep 23, 2013 Paul Garns rated it really liked it
Great book about a bunch of self-important, petulant little kids who made some of the best music in history.
Clarence Goodman
Mar 17, 2013 Clarence Goodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't fathom getting into fistfights with bandmates, but The Beatles did it, The Who, and these guys. A great read, but it's over too quickly.
Dave Larson
Sep 11, 2011 Dave Larson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I loved the details about the group, their origins, their musical roots, and how their timeless songs and albums came to be!
MR G FOX
MR G FOX rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2016
Amy Gibson
Amy Gibson rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Lisa Ransom
Lisa Ransom rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
malanmorgan
malanmorgan rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Tommy
Tommy rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2008
Ronnie Gage
Ronnie Gage rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Marcelle
Marcelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Stephen Snead
Stephen Snead rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Kim Dixon
Kim Dixon rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
David Armillei
David Armillei rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
May 12, 2011
Klaus
Klaus rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Isalts
Isalts rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Mike terry
Mike terry rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Smile Writer
Smile Writer rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Elizabeth Blackmore
Elizabeth Blackmore rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Howling at the Moon: The Odyssey of a Monstrous Music Mogul in an Age of Excess
  • Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (1974 2001)
  • Good Night and Good Riddance: How Thirty-Five Years of John Peel Helped to Shape Modern Life
  • Heroes And Villains: The True Story Of The Beach Boys
  • Can't You Hear Me Calling: The Life Of Bill Monroe, Father Of Bluegrass
  • The Life And Times Of Little Richard
  • The Land Where the Blues Began
  • The Stones
  • Have Gun, Will Travel: The Spectacular Rise and Violent Fall of Death Row Records
  • Rolling with the Stones