The Killing Ground

The Killing Ground (Ultramarines #4)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The long-awaited return of the Ultramarines series, starring Uriel Ventris, by Horus Heresy author Graham McNeill. Killing ground picks up where Dead Sky, Black Sun leaves off as Uriel finds himself on a chaos world and choices to make, none of which are very appealing or may bring him home.
Published July 8th 2008 by Games Workshop

James
I haven’t read that many Warhammer 40,000 novels, but I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve read. For those of you unfamiliar with them, these books are a rather odd mix of far-future space opera and gothic horror, featuring various groups of Space Marines who do battle for their emperor against not only aliens but also demons and other supernatural monsters. They’re related to the Warhammer sword-and-sorcery novels (both series are based on role-playing games produced by the same company, after all), but...more
Andrew Ziegler
I really enjoyed this book and the continuation of the Ultramarine's stories via one Captain Ventris. I think that McNeill nails the emotionality of the space marines here without making them seem like whiny humans. Where other authors have failed at making the Marines approachable (I am looking at you Ben Counter) and turned them into something untrue to the source material, McNeill expounds upon their cannon and their reaction to humanity in general.

There is a really interesting possibility f...more
Abhinav
This was a decent novel. I had been looking forward to this quite a bit but the novel failed to impress me. The characterisation was off in many places and it made it hard to connect with the characters, even though I've been following Uriel and Pasanius' adventures for a long time now. Even the portrayal of the Grey Knights was off. They came across more as a checklist rather than believable characters. And given the events of the previous novel, Dead Sky Black Sun, Uriel and Pasanius' new 'fri...more
Bill Walker
Continues where Sky left Uriel and the Unfleshed. The Unfleshed story takes a bit too long to get moving, Uriel and his buddy have to deal with strangely hostile Imperial forces. At several points the antagonists keep the ultramarines around for no apparent reason given the ruthless nature of their previous actions. Basically I felt the story, while interesting, didn't actually make sense the way the characters were written. This book is a solid 'meh'
Robert Mccarthy
Excellent story of camaraderie (Uriel and Pasanius), A planet wide insurgency, the unfleshed, and the pestilent nightmares. All of the characters were very well rounded Uriel and Pasanius being my two favorite characters after Ragnar Blackmane (of the Space Wolves Chapter). Their comaraderie and shared experiences really enhances the book as the two characters balance one another impeccably. The story is an excellent follow up to Black Sun, Dead Sky picking up where it left off and thrusting our...more
Michael T Bradley
Really interesting 40K novel. Essentially similar to Peter Straub's "Ghost Story," except ... much more bolter fire in the third act. Probably the best place to go with Uriel & Pasanius, a quieter, more creeping horror setting after the building insanity of the last two books in the series. Possibly a little long in the tooth come Part Four, but eminently readable. Definitely made me want to keep reading.
Paul
Jul 17, 2008 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Great fourth book to the Ultramarine saga set directly after the escape of Ventris and Pasanius from Khalan-Ghol.

The novel has a slightly slower pace than the others with the supporting characters playing a more important role. This isn't a bad thing, it works well with the plot.
Christian
Pretty damn good about a subject rarely discussed in he 0K universe: War crimes and guilt. This would have been even stronger, actually, WITHOUT the Ultramarines in it.
Keith
My first 40k book, I loved it! great sc-fi read.
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sawudsuwon Juntarakup
Sawudsuwon Juntarakup marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Dendro added it
Jun 01, 2014
  • Heroes of the Space Marines
  • Emperor's Mercy
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Scourge the Heretic
  • Battle of the Fang
  • Soul Hunter
  • Rynn's World
  • Faith and Fire
Hailing from Scotland, Graham McNeill narrowly escaped a career in surveying to work for Games Workshop as a games designer. He has a strong following with his novels Nightbringer, Warriors of Ultramar, Dead Sky, Black Sun and Storm of Iron.
More about Graham McNeill...
False Gods Fulgrim A Thousand Sons Mechanicum The Ultramarines Omnibus