Start by marking “The Healer” as Want to Read:
The Healer

The Healer

Payne is a member of a minority offshoot of humanity called Grotesques, or Tesques, who are distinguished by a cranial deformity and an extra orifice in their chest. A small percentage of Tesques have the ability to effect phenomenal healings, which makes them a valuable commodity in their world. Sadly, such gifted healers live a life somewhere between that of a possession ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Pyr

To ask other readers questions about The Healer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healer

David Agranoff
I have certain friends and colleagues whose opinions are a lock for me. This author was suggested to me by one such lock. Although this novel was not specifically recommended me to me I got it because it was the one the library had. Once I saw the blurbs on the cover from Kim Stanley Robinson and Ursula K. Leguin I brought it home and started right away.

At first I was annoyed by the inclusion of MD after the author’s name but in this case Blumlein being a doctor is a valid thing to point out. On
Jen MP
Jan 16, 2014 Jen MP rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
I almost gave this book five stars - almost.
This is probably one of the most unique books I've read in a while. The author clearly had a lot of creativity while writing, and he incorporated his medical knowledge quite frequently into the book. This was a feature I liked. It gave realness to a book that otherwise might have been too unreal for some to swallow.
I have to admit, it was a strange book, but I really enjoyed it. I felt as if Payne was easy to relate to. You could see his character deve
Aug 16, 2009 Bruce rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
According to goodreads, 2 stars means "it was OK." Sorry, but in the Bruce rating system 2 stars means, I read the whole thing, and it was lame. One cannot get any worse except one star, which means I did not finish it. I'm not sure what sort of value a 5 star system has when 4 out of 5 of the stars are positive, but anyway...

I've become aware lately while reading that there is a certain point in a book where "things start to happen." My level of interest suddenly increases, enough background is
Jun 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
a good book undone by its ending. after a book filled with insight into every healing, the last healing, which is so crucial, is hidden from us. then the character takes a completely uncharacteristic turn and the last few pages covers way too much unexplained landscape.
Jeff Gillenkirk
Oct 05, 2011 Jeff Gillenkirk rated it really liked it
A moving book by a great writer. Blumlein takes you into another world -- or a better version of this one -- by virue of his writing alone.
Daniel Burton-Rose
Profound in it's own way, but I missed the harsh edge of The Brains of Rats. A novel by an author at peace with himself and his place in the world.
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2008
Lou Peeples
Lou Peeples rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2009
Leia rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2008
Scarlett rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
caracal-eyes rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Tegwyn rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2010
Jill rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Chantal rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2009
Amaranda rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Bruce Flynn
Bruce Flynn rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Terry rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2015
Kat rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2008
Vince rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Christopher Conlon
Christopher Conlon rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2012
Mar 10, 2013 Courtney rated it did not like it
I got about halfway through and gave up - I like sci-fi, but this just didn't interest me.
Joanna rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2010
Maudie rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2011
Alexis Roy
Alexis Roy rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Zephyr rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Allison rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2009
Lisa rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Rennie rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2013