Start by marking “The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know” as Want to Read:
The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know

The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Thanks to sharper diagnosis and better medicine, the future is brighter for people with bipolar disorder than in past generations. But if you or someone you love is struggling with the frantic highs and crushing lows of this illness, there are still many hurdles to surmount at home, at work, and in daily life.

*How can you learn to distinguish between the early warning sign
Published January 16th 2002 by The Guilford Press (first published December 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide

Zakirah Zakaria
I've read it halfway and found it really helpful. The first few chapters talk about patients' stories and gave a heartwarming and hopeful introduction to those who were just diagnosed witb bipolar. In my country, there's a lot of social stigma attached on mental/mood disorders and reading this book makes me feel less lonely and hopeful. It also provides guidelines/suggestions on how to identify a manic/hypomanic or depressive episode. I recommend this book to fellow bipolar patients who want to ...more
Bob
This book was a major disappointment. I was led to believe that this book would be different, that it would take a different & fresh view of this problem that seems to plague so many. In the end this book simply repeats what everyone else says about any kind of “mental illness” –take your meds, they are good for you, and you are not marked or stigmatized for life though in a sense you really are.

On page 75 the author says, “You have an underlying biochemical disturbances w/which you may have
Sexy
I would have to say this book provides quite a plethora of not only useful, but practical information as well as guidance on how to go about organizing one's life. I must say, I think the author isn't so bad himself.

I would recommend this book to anyone with bipolar disorder that wants a way to incorporate a few tips and tricks with how to deal with their particular situation in life.

In fact I'd say I highly recommend this book, for the tips and tricks, though.

I don't agree with a lot of view po
Peter Damien
A very useful, informative overview sort of book. Looks and seems a bit like a textbook at first, but it's actually very readable.
Dewayne Watts
The Bipolar Survival Guide 2nd Edition" David J. Miklowitz PhD

This was overall an excellent book. Prior to 1999 psychiatrist and therapist erroneously believed that all mood disorders were chemical imbalances. As if all people had a very specific level of biological chemicals that you could stick a dipstick in and check the level and than prescribed a med, one dose fits all. This thinking applied equally to men and women. I never accepted it and got into several disagreements with many doctors.
A
Ian Reynir
I was impressed ith Miklowitz's journal articles, but his dumbing down of the truth is not good for high-functioning bipolars. The average bipolar may find this to be useful, but for deeper understanding and more advanced treatments that really work better, I can't suggest this book.
Sep 10, 2009 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Dr. Kinard @ NAMI
This is an excellent resource for anyone with bipolar disorder. It is straightforward with the facts, but delivers them with gentleness and compasssion. I highly recommend it to consumers, families, friends, and people just curious about how mental illness manifests itself.
Keshia
The first half of the book was informative in detail, but not useful for me as a friend to a bipolar person. The second half seemed better, but this book is really for the person who has it. (got to page 204 out of 322)
Bridgett
I found this book very thorough and it helped me understand the more "negative" emotions that can occur during mania.
Paloma Etienne
Very clear and helpful. It helps you get it together and take it from there
Ahmed Elaraby
Infinitive .. lots of "we think .. we believe" with no medical basis for these thoughts and believes.
This book is more into describing bipolar disorder as mental illness whose patients must stick to their medications or they will go into psychotic break.
Jennie Marie
This book is so helpful, full of information and helpful advice.
Eilene
Excellent chapter on suicide & making a suicide prevention plan. And the whole book is more of a "here's what to do about it" instead of just lots of information thrown at you.

I read the entire book, cover to cover, while in the psych hospital for a week. There's not much to do there...
Jon
If you or a loved one suffers from (or is blessed with) bipolar disorder, this is the place to start. Comprehensive yet readable, scientific yet straightforward, this is the best overall primer I've read on bipolar disorder.
Luisa
Nov 21, 2008 Luisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luisa by: my therapist
This book is so helpful. It goes a long way to understanding, accepting, and dealing with bipolar disorder. It should be the first stop for anyone dealing with this diagnosis for him/herself or his/her loved one's
Cynthia
There are lots of books on living with bipolar disorder. This one is rather heavy on cognitive behavioral therapy techniques, which are not for everyone. But it did add to my toolchest of coping strategies.
Lauryl
A decent resource for basic information on bipolar disorder and its treatment but lacking in depth. A good first book for the newly diagnosed and their families.
Libby King
Not quite as advertised. Mostly helpful for people who are Bi-Polar. Not a lot of help for their families! A few good ideas though.
hilary lay
Aug 22, 2007 hilary lay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crazy people and family members of crazy people
for real. i've read lots of books on the subject, and this one's far and away the best.
AJ LeBlanc
This has been very helpful for figuring out what's going on in my brain.
Steve Garvin
Although this reads more like a textbook, there is some good information in it.
Alexis Pullen
Too anecdotal for my taste. Might be good for someone new to the experience.
Carrie
Informative.
Erin
May 22, 2008 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Oh so much.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Lars
Lars added it
Rogier De Vries
Rogier De Vries marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • Welcome to the Jungle: Everything You Wanted to Know about Bipolar But Were Too Freaked Out to Ask
  • Why Am I Still Depressed?: Recognizing and Managing the Ups and Downs of Bipolar II and Soft Bipolar Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • Brilliant Madness: Living with Manic Depressive Illness
  • Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner
  • Bipolar Disorder Demystified: Mastering the Tightrope of Manic Depression
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
  • Exuberance: The Passion for Life
  • The Untouched Key: Tracing Childhood Trauma in Creativity and Destructiveness
  • Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness
  • The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD
  • Perfect Chaos: A Daughter's Journey to Survive Bipolar, a Mother's Struggle to Save Her
  • Jag vill inte dö, jag vill bara inte leva
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years
  • Boundaries: Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy Boundaries
  • Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families
  • Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors
The Bipolar Teen: What You Can Do to Help Your Child and Your Family Bipolar Disorder: A Family-Focused Treatment Approach Clinician's Guide to Bipolar Disorder: Integrating Pharmacology and Psychotherapy Understanding Bipolar Disorder: A Developmental Psychopathology Perspective Bipolar Disorder, Second Edition: A Family-Focused Treatment Approach

“Losing even a single night’s sleep can precipitate a manic episode in people with bipolar disorder who have otherwise been stable (Malkoff-Schwartz et al. 1998). In parallel, sleep deprivation can improve the mood of a person with depression, although only briefly (Harvey, 2008).” 0 likes