Start by marking “The Artsy Girl--in Bronze (The Artsy Girl, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Artsy Girl--in Bronze (The Artsy Girl, #1)

Read Excerpt

The Artsy Girl--in Bronze (The Artsy Girl #1)

A burned-out teacher puts Kayla Carmichael, a naturally gifted art student, in charge of a group of class clowns, misfits, and troublemakers who are painting a mural on the back of Sandpiper Public High in Daytona Beach, Florida. Can Kayla help her classmates become artists -- or at least get them to stop playing games on their cell phones?

Kayla also has to deal with poss
Published May 22nd 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Artsy Girl--in Bronze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artsy Girl--in Bronze

Harold
Jul 31, 2014 Harold rated it really liked it
A GOODREADS GIVEAWAY

Sixteen year old Kayla Carmichael, a sophomore at Sandpiper Public High in Daytona Beach, is the artsy girl.

She works part-time at Cap’n Salty’s Souvenirs and Surf Shop, earning minimum wages and dreading that she might end up being a “shot girl” like her cousin Stacy.

Because of Kayla’s artistic ability, her jaded art teacher assigns Kayla to oversee a hand-picked — weeded out? — class of misfits paint a mural on an exterior wall of their school.

Among the selected muralists
Beth Cutwright
Sep 17, 2014 Beth Cutwright rated it really liked it
It took awhile for me to really enjoy what I was reading in this book. But at about the halfway point, Pack drew the story together and I understood and enjoyed....the rest of the story, (to coin a phrase). I rather enjoyed the chapters individually up to that halfway mark, but I questioned what the point was and if I would get it. And then I did. The story became cohesive, understandable, relatable and enjoyable.

Pack's protagonist, Kayla, was good at art in many different venues. She found her
Taylor
Mar 30, 2015 Taylor rated it really liked it
T.A. Pack tells a great story about a teenage girl who wants to be an artist and has the drive to make it happen. Kayla is a great example for all teenagers who feel the creative juices at a young age and feel the need to jump through impossible hoops to follow their dreams. Without giving anything goes away, I will say that I loved how she was able to use her talents at the end to make the best out of her and her peers situation.

I'm not fond of using flashbacks inconsistently. After the first c
P
Jul 15, 2014 P rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, ya
I won this book on goodreads. I plan to recommend it to some of my students in the fall, as I think they will enjoy it. Written with an appealing humor, it features realistic teenage characters in all their awkwardness trying to stand out ss individuals in any way they can. Welcome to my life. I did chuckle out loud several times as I read, so there is an adult appeal too, especially if that adult is immersed in a teen world. I dog-eared the page where Kayla tries to figure out what has worn her ...more
Emilia
Jul 29, 2014 Emilia rated it liked it
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
Very fast read, I think it'd be good read for 14-16 year-olds... for me it was a bit too shallow, very interesting ideas and plots but lacking some depths to it. reading the book I had a strange feeling like I am reading quite a bit about the main character, Kayla, but at the same moment I am not getting to know her any better... and as to the other characters - even less then that... something was missing in there, can't quite put the
Starlight
Jul 28, 2015 Starlight rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in a goodreads giveaway.
I quite enjoyed reading this. While it's not necessarily my favorite genre of book (contemporary/realistic fiction) I appreciated the relatable characters and the connect to art within it. It took me a few tries to really get into the book, but once I did, I finished it very quickly. I also love that the main character has the condition called "synesthesia" which causes her to see colors in relation to sounds. You typically don't see that in ya fictio
Brittany
Jul 27, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it
T A Pack is an excellent storyteller.
This particular one is of a teenage girl who has uncanny artistic abilities. She is soo good that she is constantly rewarded and praises for this ability. She strives to make a career out of it but first she has to make it out of highschool. the school gets a grant for.some money but the money comes with conditions. you must get the misfit/ "bad kids" to help paint a mural.
this story has great characters and a quirky way of teaching people a lesson as well.
Melissa Stafford
Jun 06, 2015 Melissa Stafford rated it really liked it
I received this book through GOODREADS earlier this week. This is the first book I've read that was written by T.A. Pack. The book had me hooked on the first page. It was written with a lot of detail, allowing the reader to "see" exactly what the author was writing about. The only downfall to the book is that it was too short. The story revolves around high school students that are easy for the reader to identify with. I really enjoyed this book and will look for other books from T.A. Pack. ...more
Lindsey
Jun 18, 2015 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway.

A quick and enjoyable read. There were some things that I felt were a bit irrelevant to the plot, and the flow was bit choppy. That being said, I enjoyed reading this book. I like that the main character Kayla has synesthesia, and I wish it would have been more incorporated into the story. As an artist, I was definitely able to relate to and appreciate Kayla's struggle.
Cynthia
Sep 25, 2015 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, hard-copy
I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway.

I am probably older than the target demographic for this book but it was an enjoyable quick read. Even though it was short I don't feel liked i missed anything.

There were enough cute and funny moments in the story that I am now interested in checking out the second book.
Patricia
Jun 16, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this book. I liked the story line. I appreciated the art in this book because my daughter is an artist. I love how art can bring people together, how ideas are formed, and the result that comes from it. It was an enjoyable read. I would definitely read it again. As far as I know there is a second book. I would love to see where the next book take us.
Megan
Sep 13, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
I was sent this book through Goodreads giveaways, and it was a lovely, easy read! Kayla is a great main character who loves art, and as someone who always wished I was more creative, I really enjoyed how she depicted herself and her art. Kayla has synesthesia, and the way she described her world view was fascinating.
Mark
Sep 10, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
The Artsy Girl--in Bronze tells the story of main character Kayla. Even though this was an advanced edition, it didn't take away from my enjoying it. It was interesting, and worth my time reading it. Five stars.
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really liked this book. It was a nice easy read. The writing is a different style but it worked. The book shows how if you are good at something and love it you should work hard to get what you want. (received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads)
Ruby
Mar 08, 2015 Ruby rated it did not like it
GOODREADS GIVEAWAY

Short read over a few weeks in a girl's life... you realize that anything can happen in a short span of time.
Needs a little more depth and character development, but overall ok.
Inamariepadilla
Oct 01, 2014 Inamariepadilla marked it as to-read
fl;';

Jenny Santiago
Jenny Santiago rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Jordan M.
Jordan M. rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
John Morrison
John Morrison rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Shana M. Garrity
Shana M. Garrity marked it as to-read
Rosie Vandenberghe
Rosie Vandenberghe marked it as to-read
Samar
Samar marked it as to-read
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Vykki
Vykki marked it as to-read
Katie Harder-schauer
Katie Harder-schauer marked it as to-read
ApuciKislanya
ApuciKislanya marked it as to-read
Karen Bainbridge
Karen Bainbridge marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Christina Borgoyn
Christina Borgoyn marked it as to-read
Candace Lacroix
Candace Lacroix marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Barbara Zitsch
Barbara Zitsch marked it as to-read
Debbie Carnes
Debbie Carnes marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Yanet Miyares
Yanet Miyares marked it as to-read
Sunshine
Sunshine marked it as to-read
Daryl Moad
Daryl Moad marked it as to-read
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Julie Alvarez
Julie Alvarez marked it as to-read
Merrill
Merrill marked it as to-read
  • Night Kites
  • Loving Night: Dream Catcher Series ~ Book 2
  • Midnight Hour Encores
  • Protector (The Narthex Academy Series, Book 3)
  • Walk On By III
  • The Music Book
  • Finding Josie
  • The Other Side of the Mountain
  • The City Visible: Chicago Poetry for the New Century
  • The Unspoken: A Collection
  • Understanding the Business of Entertainment: The Legal and Business Essentials All Filmmakers Should Know (American Film Market Presents)
  • Unbeatable, Volume 2: Hotter Than Hell
  • Stories From the Polycule: Real Life in Polyamorous Families
  • Fire Blessed (Blessings of Myrillia #2)
  • Verse of Valor (Blue Time, #2)
  • Why Is the Global Economy Like This?
  • Have Yourself a Hamster Little Christmas
  • Hello, Agnieszka! (Between Two Worlds, #2)
Don't buy my books -- at least not the two Ten Minute Internet guides shown on this page. I wrote them for Que, an imprint of Macmillan, in the late 1990s. As I'm sure you know, the Internet has evolved a bit since then, so the books are woefully out of date.

Please do consider reading my recent work, The Artsy Girl -- in Bronze. It's a funny novel about art, love, heavy-metal drumming, and the wor
More about Thomas Pack...

The Artsy Girl (2 books)
  • The Artsy Girl--in Silver (The Artsy Girl, #2)

“Why did you draw the chick in the ocean so fat and ugly?" asked a guy in a black tank top.
"Where?" Kayla said.
"Right there by the sandcastle. There on the right."
"It's not a girl. It's a manatee.”
0 likes
“Zach showed Kayla a sinister slideshow with eerie castles, dragons with razor-sharp talons, and fanged, busty women wearing skimpy black leather outfits with capes, which, Kayla thought, wasn't even logical.
If it's cold enough for a cape, it's too cold for a leather bikini.”
0 likes