Start by marking “When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse” as Want to Read:
When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse

When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Can my partner abuse me and still be a good parent? Should I stay with my partner for my children's sake? How should I talk to my children about the abuse and help them heal? Am I a bad mother?

Mothers in physically or emotionally abusive relationships ask themselves these questions every day. Here, a counselor reveals how abusers interact with and manipulate children-and
Published March 1st 2005 by Berkley Trade (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about When Dad Hurts Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Dad Hurts Mom

Caroline Abbott
Another great book to help the abused by Lundy Bancroft. So helpful for moms who have been abused who have children who were unfortunately stuck in the abuse with her. Now she wants to help them heal, but she is still needing healing herself. Such good practical steps, and a lot of great information I didn't know. I can't recommend this one enough! Thanks Lundy!!
Terrah Mayes
All social workers should require the parents of children who've had to witness, experience or hear domestic abuse to read this book! Kids blame themselves- this is a hard book to read- but it's important to understand the effects on all children.
Corin
Any woman going through a divorce should read this, as well as any woman in a relationship that feels abusive, even if she's not sure what is happening to her "meets the definition."
Heidi Smith
This book is mostly geared towards women who have been or are in abusive relationships. Most of it was interesting, but not necessarily related to my situation with foster parenting. There were parts, however, that were excellent and very insightful.
Courtney
same same - this writer writes about a subject - I wish i could articulate on so well. He is such a resource for survivors and those that care about them.
Karen Sheils
Karen Sheils marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Rena Gordon
Rena Gordon marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Jaime
Jaime is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2014
Mynnia
Mynnia marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Erin Griffin
Erin Griffin marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Jordan Klekamp
Jordan Klekamp marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Negheen Sanjar
Negheen Sanjar marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Cheryl Savage
Cheryl Savage marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Toby Vogel
Toby Vogel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Heather Ward
Heather Ward marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Yida
Yida added it
Aug 29, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lundy Bancroft is an author, workshop leader, and consultant on domestic abuse and child maltreatment. His best known book is Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men (first published in 2002). With 20 years of experience specializing in interventions for abusive men and their families, he is a former co-director of Emerge, the first counseling program in the United Stat ...more
More about Lundy Bancroft...
Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men Should I Stay or Should I Go?: A Guide to Knowing if Your Relationship Can--and Should--be Saved The Batterer as Parent: Addressing the Impact of Domestic Violence on Family Dynamics Daily Wisdom for Why Does He Do That? Emotional Abuse: How to de-Tox from Negative People and Abusive Relationships