Start by marking “When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse” as Want to Read:
When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse

When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Can my partner abuse me and still be a good parent? Should I stay with my partner for my children's sake? How should I talk to my children about the abuse and help them heal? Am I a bad mother?

Mothers in physically or emotionally abusive relationships ask themselves these questions every day. Here, a counselor reveals how abusers interact with and manipulate children-and h
Published March 1st 2005 by Berkley (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about When Dad Hurts Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Dad Hurts Mom

Caroline Abbott
Another great book to help the abused by Lundy Bancroft. So helpful for moms who have been abused who have children who were unfortunately stuck in the abuse with her. Now she wants to help them heal, but she is still needing healing herself. Such good practical steps, and a lot of great information I didn't know. I can't recommend this one enough! Thanks Lundy!!
Terrah Mayes
All social workers should require the parents of children who've had to witness, experience or hear domestic abuse to read this book! Kids blame themselves- this is a hard book to read- but it's important to understand the effects on all children.
Corin
Any woman going through a divorce should read this, as well as any woman in a relationship that feels abusive, even if she's not sure what is happening to her "meets the definition."
Heidi Smith
This book is mostly geared towards women who have been or are in abusive relationships. Most of it was interesting, but not necessarily related to my situation with foster parenting. There were parts, however, that were excellent and very insightful.
Courtney
same same - this writer writes about a subject - I wish i could articulate on so well. He is such a resource for survivors and those that care about them.
Brandy Blackwell
Brandy Blackwell marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2015
Varsha Bhargavi
Varsha Bhargavi marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Rhonda Kirschmann
Rhonda Kirschmann marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Stacie Sturwold
Stacie Sturwold marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Black Beard
Black Beard is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Heidi Winter
Heidi Winter is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Melanie Houle
Melanie Houle marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Nicholas Rebecca
Nicholas Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Marzipan992
Marzipan992 marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Abhey Singh
Abhey Singh marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Adwoa Akhu
Adwoa Akhu marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Heather Rose
Heather Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 13, 2015
Jennifer Brewer
Jennifer Brewer is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Iboja
Iboja marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lundy Bancroft is an author, workshop leader, and consultant on domestic abuse and child maltreatment. His best known book is Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men (first published in 2002). With 20 years of experience specializing in interventions for abusive men and their families, he is a former co-director of Emerge, the first counseling program in the United Stat ...more
More about Lundy Bancroft...
Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men Should I Stay or Should I Go?: A Guide to Knowing if Your Relationship Can--and Should--be Saved The Batterer as Parent: Addressing the Impact of Domestic Violence on Family Dynamics Daily Wisdom for Why Does He Do That? When Love Hurts Updated Edition: A Woman's Guide to Understanding Abuse in Relationships