Start by marking “Blood and Guts: Dispatches from the Whale Wars” as Want to Read:
Blood and Guts: Dispatches from the Whale Wars

Blood and Guts: Dispatches from the Whale Wars

“I pull on my balaclava and step onto the bridge wing. It’s loud outside: I can hear the rumbles of nine vessels’ engines and the hiss of ten water cannons … Suddenly the bridge is full of refugees from the upper deck. They are blocking my view out the back windows, but their faces – afraid, excited, awestruck – illustrate the looming presence of the Nisshin. I bend my kne ...more
Published September 2014 by Black Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Guts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Guts

Connor FitzGerald
Feb 04, 2016 Connor FitzGerald rated it liked it
A good breakdown of the real story, from both sides, of the Japanese whaling conquests in the Southern Ocean. Like most things, there is plenty of depth, contradiction, unknown facts and surprises behind the popular headlines on this issue. I must admit, I was expecting an unbalanced left-wing, moral-high ground lashing but Vincent delivers a clear and unbiased appraisal of the situation that leaves the reader well informed and more philosophical on this issue than prior to reading.
Nikki Balzer
Dec 26, 2014 Nikki Balzer rated it liked it
interesting read. Sam at least tries to see both sides of the argument and offers his views of moderation. it doesn't stop me from still having a deep emotional rejection at the thought of whale hunting resuming in any form.
Peter
Sep 20, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it
I received this book as a first read. I found this book to be informative and thought provoking. It presented many sides of the whaling debate and delved into history, philosophical, political and cultural issues while trying to maintain a balanced and essentially unbiased account of the journey to where we now are with the 'whale wars'. For me it certainly opened up my thoughts and awareness around the issues, bringing a realisation that it is far more complex than the individual sides in the ...more
Vanessa
May 27, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway, and I'm glad I did; I found it fascinating. Initially, I was a bit thrown off when Vincent ended the Prologue with the suggestion that the whaling war 'sure as hell isn't about whales' (What?) but by the end of the book I understood; the battle is so, so complex, and yes, not always to do with whales.

The book is in three parts; the first is an attempt to understand the anti-whaling perspective, which involves Vincent joining the crew of the S
Andrew McMillen
Dec 03, 2014 Andrew McMillen rated it really liked it
In his first book, Canberra-based journalist Sam Vincent invests in immersion journalism by smuggling himself on board the Sea Shepherd during its annual trip to Antarctica, where volunteer environmentalists attempt to intervene in the efforts of Japanese whalers through 'direct action', which usually involves blocking parts of the ship from taking whales on board or refuelling. He spends three months embedded on board, and draws vivid scenes from the characters and events that he witnesses. ...more
Jean
Sep 29, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it
In his quest to uncover the real reasons behind the enduring 'Whale Wars' opposing Japanese whalers to Sea Shepherd and the Australian government, Sam Vincent does a wonderful job of carefully sorting through the many layers of this conflict. The author spent three months at sea with Sea Shepherd activists, traveled to Japan to meet with whalers before following the legal battle at the International Court of Justice in the Netherlands.
I had read Sam Vincent's previous article in The Monthly reco
Imogene
Jan 04, 2016 Imogene marked it as to-read
Having WON this book through the goodreads giveaway, I am admittedly biased to think and feel positive towards it. The fact that the author sent it to me HIMSELF, and personalised it to me.. *swoon*

I originally found this interesting as one of my favourite people (Sylvi!) is a dedicated environmentalist and follower of the Sea Shepherd movement and social media activist who is passionate about the protection of wolves and whales. Also, one of the professors I had during my undergrad wrote her th
Kathy
Jun 19, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Blood and Guts is nothing like I expected. Instead of propoganda, this is a highly insightful and balanced look into the complete picture of whaling - its politics, its players, the cultural battles at play. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting commentary on the issue of whaling. Extensively researched, balanced reporting, honestly retold first hand field experiences in both Japan and with the Sea Shepard, this is investigative journalism at its best. I learnt a lot about this conflict from ...more
Anne Peachey
Apr 28, 2016 Anne Peachey rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received Blood and Guts: Dispatches from the Whales Wars by Sam Vincent from a Goodreads Giveaway.
This book is an un-biased look at Whaling.
Vincent goes to sea for 3 months aboard the Steve Irwin with Sea Shepherd an offshoot of Greenpeace.
He travels to Japan delves into the Japanese side of 'Scientific Whaling'.
Very informative, I discovered a lot of little known facts that were included in this book but found it very easy to read.
Shelley Dickerson
Feb 16, 2015 Shelley Dickerson rated it it was amazing
An intelligent and engaging insight into the symbolic role whales play in the turf war between Japan and Australia over the political no-mans land of the Antarctic. Blood and Guts is well researched and presented in an unbiased context, but most importantly for me was that the delivery was far from dry and academic. The detailed descriptive nature of the writing invested my interest, while the dirty comic relief made it thoroughly enjoyable to read.
Luke
Apr 11, 2016 Luke rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this through a Goodreads giveaway.
This book was a great read.
It shed light on the whaling issue in the waters of the Southern Ocean and made me really think about the amount of whales being murdered and wasted.
This book was a non-biased book that showed both sides of the issue.
Good read, 3/5 stars
Stedman Watts
Apr 27, 2015 Stedman Watts rated it it was amazing
I came to this book having only heard one side of the argument. I wanted the book to totally pull apart that argument and to be honest, biased. Alas, it wasn't to be. Sam has done some incredible research and has interviewed all sides in his quest to get to the bottom of the Whale Wars. It is not a simple case of good guys and bad guys, as we have been lead to believe.
Steve Lee
Feb 22, 2016 Steve Lee rated it liked it
Received free through a Goodreads giveaway.

A very interesting read, one that has given me a valuable insight into all sides of the whaling issue.
Julie
Jul 29, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, it was hard going in places but good enough to keep going.
I learned quite a bit about a subject I knew nothing about.
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Isobel Booksmythe
Isobel Booksmythe rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Remy
Remy rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Beck
Beck rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Shanna Rei
Shanna Rei rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Fluffy Pants
Fluffy Pants rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Eleanor Malbon
Eleanor Malbon rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Lachie
Lachie rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Fallon
Fallon rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Olivia Congdon
Olivia Congdon rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
S.S. Delaunay
S.S. Delaunay rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
  • Jason Lizzy and the Snowman Village
  • Ranch Hero
  • The Settler
  • Drawing the Line: Science and the Case for Animal Rights
  • Of Parrots and People: The Sometimes Funny, Always Fascinating, and Often Catastrophic Collision of Two Intelligent Species
  • Shadow Play (A Tracker Novel)
  • The Wolverine Way
  • Stoning the Devil
  • Four Wings and a Prayer: Caught in the Mystery of the Monarch Butterfly
  • Sleigh Ride with the Rancher
  • Kentash
  • Animals and Women: Feminist Theoretical Explorations
Sam Vincent’s writing has been published in the Sydney Morning Herald, the Age, the Saturday Paper, Griffith REVIEW, the Monthly, the Australian and Monocle. He lives in Canberra.
More about Sam Vincent...