Start by marking “The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method” as Want to Read:
The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method

The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method

2.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
-- Is there any hope for dreadful spellers?
-- How might your spelling illuminate aspects of your personality?
-- What does your spelling say about your intelligence?Answers to these questions -- and many more -- can be found in Marilyn vos Savant's delightfully written The Art of Spelling. This book is the result of the "Ask Marilyn" spelling survey, which drew more than 43
Published January 1st 2000 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Spelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Spelling

SmarterLilac
Jun 09, 2015 SmarterLilac rated it liked it
I'll just cut to the chase for everyone—the author's 'method' is essentially writing every word you misspell 10 times in a row whenever you misspell it. I was expecting something with more cleverness.

I will say, however, that this book provides excellent justification for anyone who wants to improve their English learning the basics of the Latin roots of our words. This is one thing that helped improve my own spelling immensely. (So did getting a copy of Spell Check, a small and sturdy reference
Julie
Feb 10, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: really, really avid fans of spelling
Recommended to Julie by: Milt
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I've always been fascinated by language (my mom, the elementary school librarian, found a book in her to-be-discarded pile about word origins, and brought it home for me - being that I had been the only kid to ever sign it out, 15 or so years before) but this book really tested that fascination.

If you want to wade through a dense thicket of information on the history of spelling, it's great. If you are really trying to improve your spelling and you're looking for ways to do so, skip the first 2/
Emily
Aug 14, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was hoping for a discussion/examination of the social history of spelling, but this wasn't it. Most of the basis for the book is a survey the author conducted in Parade magazine, and a pseudo-scientific examination of the survey results. While the author mentions that the results were self-reported and therefore not really reliable, she still bases the majority of the book on the flawed data. There are a few chapters full of quotes and examination of other people's research as it supports her ...more
Andy
Nov 29, 2009 Andy rated it liked it
I got the impression that this was some sort of pet research project for Marilyn Vos Savant. Neat little book with some interesting facts about history of spelling and some useful advice. (Now I have to return it to the public library. They have it listed as lost!)
Lesley
Jun 15, 2011 Lesley rated it it was ok
How geeky am I that I read a book about spelling? I liked some of the spelling history and this book has practical advice on improving your spelling. It got to be a bit much, especially near the end,though.
Alex
The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method by Marilyn Vos Savant (2001)
Shawna
Feb 14, 2010 Shawna rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent history of our language. Fun to read.
Kelly
Jun 14, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, skimmed
Meh, a little interesting, but not worth the effort.
Katrinia17
Katrinia17 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Aud
Aud is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2016
Rine Morimoto
Rine Morimoto marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Lizzie
Lizzie added it
Mar 05, 2016
Nuryagdy
Nuryagdy marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Andrés Torres
Andrés Torres marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
summer
summer added it
Feb 09, 2016
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Sancha
Sancha marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Mohammed Akilah
Mohammed Akilah marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Chanyabrava
Chanyabrava marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Jeanine
Jeanine marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Greg Cripe
Greg Cripe marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Courtlyn
Courtlyn marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jan 27, 2015
Karen Merkley
Karen Merkley marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marilyn vos Savant is an American magazine columnist, author, lecturer and playwright who rose to fame through her listing in the Guinness Book of World Records under "Highest IQ". Since 1986 she has written Ask Marilyn, a Sunday column in Parade magazine in which she solves puzzles and answers questions from readers on a variety of subjects.
More about Marilyn Vos Savant...