Start by marking “The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method” as Want to Read:
The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method

The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  7 reviews
-- Is there any hope for dreadful spellers?
-- How might your spelling illuminate aspects of your personality?
-- What does your spelling say about your intelligence?Answers to these questions -- and many more -- can be found in Marilyn vos Savant's delightfully written The Art of Spelling. This book is the result of the "Ask Marilyn" spelling survey, which drew more than 43
Published January 1st 2000 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Spelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Spelling

Julie
Feb 10, 2011 Julie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: really, really avid fans of spelling
Recommended to Julie by: Milt
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
I've always been fascinated by language (my mom, the elementary school librarian, found a book in her to-be-discarded pile about word origins, and brought it home for me - being that I had been the only kid to ever sign it out, 15 or so years before) but this book really tested that fascination.

If you want to wade through a dense thicket of information on the history of spelling, it's great. If you are really trying to improve your spelling and you're looking for ways to do so, skip the first 2/
Emily
I was hoping for a discussion/examination of the social history of spelling, but this wasn't it. Most of the basis for the book is a survey the author conducted in Parade magazine, and a pseudo-scientific examination of the survey results. While the author mentions that the results were self-reported and therefore not really reliable, she still bases the majority of the book on the flawed data. There are a few chapters full of quotes and examination of other people's research as it supports her ...more
Andy
I got the impression that this was some sort of pet research project for Marilyn Vos Savant. Neat little book with some interesting facts about history of spelling and some useful advice. (Now I have to return it to the public library. They have it listed as lost!)
Lesley
How geeky am I that I read a book about spelling? I liked some of the spelling history and this book has practical advice on improving your spelling. It got to be a bit much, especially near the end,though.
Alex
The Art of Spelling: The Madness and the Method by Marilyn Vos Savant (2001)
Shawna
An excellent history of our language. Fun to read.
Kelly
Meh, a little interesting, but not worth the effort.
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jan 27, 2015
Karen Merkley
Karen Merkley marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Emin Arslan
Emin Arslan marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Chris Wheeler
Chris Wheeler marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Nicolas Emery
Nicolas Emery marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Tesfaye.aberayahoo.com
Tesfaye.aberayahoo.com marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Indulgent Eagle
Indulgent Eagle marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Vijay Gopal
Vijay Gopal marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Sai Deepak
Sai Deepak marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marilyn vos Savant is an American magazine columnist, author, lecturer and playwright who rose to fame through her listing in the Guinness Book of World Records under "Highest IQ". Since 1986 she has written Ask Marilyn, a Sunday column in Parade magazine in which she solves puzzles and answers questions from readers on a variety of subjects.
More about Marilyn Vos Savant...
Brain Building in Just 12 Weeks The Power of Logical Thinking: Easy Lessons in the Art of Reasoning...and Hard Facts About Its Absence in Our Lives Of Course I'm for Monogamy: I'm Also for Everlasting Peace and an End to Taxes Ask Marilyn: The Best of "Ask Marilyn" Letters Published in Parade Magazine from 1986 to 1992 and Many More Never Before Published Brain Building: Exercising Yourself Smarter