Start by marking “Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult” as Want to Read:
Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult

Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,233 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Disinformation’s "wicked warlock" Richard Metzger gathers an unprecedented cabal of modern occultists, -magicians, and forward thinkers in the latest in the series of the large format Disinformation Guides. Just as Russ Kick’s three Guides focusing on secrets and lies from the mainstream media, government, and other establishment institutions rethought what a political sci ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Disinformation Company (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Lies

Brave New World by Aldous HuxleySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutPrincipia Discordia, Or, How I Found Goddess and What I Did t... by Gregory  HillThe Manson File by Nikolas SchreckNaked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
Bibles for the Revolution
30th out of 228 books — 84 voters
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerWicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonA Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar
Best Pagan Non Fiction Reads
43rd out of 137 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

Matthew W
Not a bad compilation of writings from disinformation, a company that otherwise seems interested in proliferating crypto-Marxist ideas. Hell, this book even features writings from the wise Baron Julius Evola and "Occult Fascist" Michael Moynihan. I also enjoyed article on the influence of magic on junky hero William S. Burroughs and his dream machine friend Brion Gysin. An essay on H.P. Lovecraft's influence on the Occult and vice versa I also found interesting. Most of the other articles, essay ...more
Tim
There was so much good information in this book that it will have to be read at least one more time. Many of the articles were not digested as well as they should have been, because I simply wanted to finish the whole thing. A good example of one of my reading shortfalls: I want to finish the book that I am reading instead of completely understand the subject. This must stop!
Damn CDO (OCD, but in alphabetical order)

7/12/10 - Reading it again, some very good ideas practice. I am on chapter 2.
Matt Fimbulwinter
Apparently, the only people who have untold secrets about the occult are white dudes, or are famous because of their connection to white dudes.

There tiny nuggets of interesting buried in this collection of essays, but most of the writers were self-absorbed misogynist asshats whose ideas deserve to be forgotten. From the essay about why Wiccans should shut up and obey the writer because he's Crowley's heir, to some very baffling essentialist messes, most of this was a waste to time to read.

I gav
Simon
It has taken me months to plough through this, and for some odd reason I started reading the essays in reverse order.

Anyway, it's a very well named book, because it is indeed a book of lies.

Those essays that overlapped with areas of history, science and archaeology with which I was familiar, it was clear that the writers were putting forth what I can only describe as complete and utter lies.

Which leads me to conclude that the whole basis for 'magic' is the idea that we can all choose what we wan
Pawl Schwartz
This is a great easy to read primer on everything you need to know. Well not everything, but if you've even had an inkling of interest in the unknown, this book will help you along your path. Its full of great scholoarly, biographical and wacko articles on intensley interesting people. It also sheds light on an entire culture full of genius ideas and great minds that goes unnoticed and unpublized. This is a must read.
Matt Moran
Pretty interesting - coffee table book format. I've read a few of the essays within: I'm mostly interested in sigil magic & working with invocations, thought forms & archetypes. Experimenting so to speak. Some of these I found hard to follow, rambling and not very to the point. P-orridge's essays being a case in point, they seemed to be full of theoretical assertions & not much practical "do this & you should get that" instructions. Grant Morrison OTOH wrote the intro & one v ...more
Tim Cusmano
Not a big occult person, got just b/c disinfo. Still has good stuff, but not my preferred focus.
nicole
Oct 25, 2007 nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: psychonauts, seekers, party-pantses, all of you.
Not necessarily everyone's cup of that proverbial tea, but if there's a part of you that's curious or drawn to it, read it. Lots of short essays in a collection, some are easier to read/digest than others...but surely fascinating and inspiring, clever stuff. Makes you think. And that's always good.
Corey
A fine book on the subject of modern occultism and lucifer fans. Paints a picture of satanism as a loose group of marginalized intellectuals rather than blood drinking killers. Though there are alot of drug taking/freaky sex having weirdos, but who am I to judge?
Frank Deschain

This is at times a great primer on the theory and application of magick. At other times, the essays are tedious and have absolutely no concrete instruction. Overall, the book is okay but far from the ultimate magick tome that it initially aims to be.
Kit Vane Tempest
The research is thorough and strong, mostly. The writing is awkward and uninspired. There are a few notable exceptions and these pieces seem great but perhaps this is only because of the surrounding works. The ideas are interesting though.
Glenn Liddell
I heart almost every essay in this book and I have read it cover to cover several times after picking it up as a result of the longest string of strange coincidences ever. Lots of insight into the way magick is lived.
Tpeter
Being a collection of essays, the quality is not completely consistent. But over-all a high-quality book, of the type you will take out again and again... so many interesting topics are covered.
hethur
I've discovered some writers I really enjoy by reading these disinformation collections...some of the stuff is a little "D&D" but it's definitely worth pushing through to get to the cool stuff....
Nick Kilner
A collection of essays and writings on the main theories and thoughts from the significant figures and writers involved in magick and the occult and esoteric studies.
Eric
Jul 02, 2009 Eric marked it as to-read
I bought this book a couple of years ago as a recommendation from an art teacher at the time. I keep meaning to read it.
Matthew
my introduction to Austin Osman Spare and Julius Evola. this is a great compilation for skeptiks and practitioners alike.
Southernbelletat
This was full of interesting fact filled essays. I book you can pick up randomly throughout the day.
sadako
extremely entertaining. Freaky exposition on Jack Parsons. Extremely intriguing parts by Genesis P. Orridge.
Nick Mather
Help yourself to a great big bowl of fruit loopy out there. This is a fun read.
Brendan
there are some absolutely fantastic essays in this anthology.
Tomb
I must confess.. I only read this because Grant Morrison was in it.
Amie
It is a disinformation book - a very good and interesting read.
Justin Tappan
Hit or miss, as is usually the case with collections.
Brady
Jan 23, 2012 Brady is currently reading it
Shelves: spirituality
delicious.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
J Simpson
J Simpson is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Fujiwara Todayashi
Fujiwara Todayashi marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Generation Hex: New Voices from Outside Reality
  • Everything You Know is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies
  • Book 4
  • Underground!: The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations, Astonishing Archaeology, and Hidden History
  • Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • Principia Discordia, Or, How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Sinister Forces-The Nine: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
  • Postmodern Magic: The Art of Magic in the Information Age
  • The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist
Disinformation: The Interviews Disinformation: The Complete Series Mel Bay presents Chansons of the 16th Century for Classical Guitar Everything You Know is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies Abuse Your Illusions: The Disinformation Guide to Media Mirages and Establishment Lies