Start by marking “Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult” as Want to Read:
Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult

Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,510 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Disinformation’s "wicked warlock" Richard Metzger gathers an unprecedented cabal of modern occultists, -magicians, and forward thinkers in the latest in the series of the large format Disinformation Guides. Just as Russ Kick’s three Guides focusing on secrets and lies from the mainstream media, government, and other establishment institutions rethought what a political sci ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Disinformation Company (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Lies

Brave New World by Aldous HuxleySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutCatch-22 by Joseph HellerPrincipia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did... by Gregory  HillLord of the Flies by William Golding
Bibles for the Revolution
38th out of 311 books — 120 voters
Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerWicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonA Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar
Best Pagan Non Fiction Reads
43rd out of 205 books — 175 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt Fimbulwinter
Nov 29, 2013 Matt Fimbulwinter rated it it was ok
Shelves: srs
Apparently, the only people who have untold secrets about the occult are white dudes, or are famous because of their connection to white dudes.

There tiny nuggets of interesting buried in this collection of essays, but most of the writers were self-absorbed misogynist asshats whose ideas deserve to be forgotten. From the essay about why Wiccans should shut up and obey the writer because he's Crowley's heir, to some very baffling essentialist messes, most of this was a waste to time to read.

I gav
Roewoof
Jan 16, 2015 Roewoof rated it it was ok
I was incredibly disappointed in this book.

There were a few essays in the beginning which I thought were excellent, but it all went downhill from there. This book is everything that I despise about hanging out with most magicians and discussing magick. It's mostly self masturbatory material that has little to do with magick theory, and how it can be applied to a wide range of traditions. It is for the most part, writings about drugs, and some magician's favorite artist, and the regurgitation an
Matthew W
Apr 04, 2010 Matthew W rated it it was amazing
Not a bad compilation of writings from disinformation, a company that otherwise seems interested in proliferating crypto-Marxist ideas. Hell, this book even features writings from the wise Baron Julius Evola and "Occult Fascist" Michael Moynihan. I also enjoyed article on the influence of magic on junky hero William S. Burroughs and his dream machine friend Brion Gysin. An essay on H.P. Lovecraft's influence on the Occult and vice versa I also found interesting. Most of the other articles, essay ...more
Tim
Nov 30, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult-magick
There was so much good information in this book that it will have to be read at least one more time. Many of the articles were not digested as well as they should have been, because I simply wanted to finish the whole thing. A good example of one of my reading shortfalls: I want to finish the book that I am reading instead of completely understand the subject. This must stop!
Damn CDO (OCD, but in alphabetical order)

7/12/10 - Reading it again, some very good ideas practice. I am on chapter 2.
Simon
May 10, 2014 Simon rated it liked it
It has taken me months to plough through this, and for some odd reason I started reading the essays in reverse order.

Anyway, it's a very well named book, because it is indeed a book of lies.

Those essays that overlapped with areas of history, science and archaeology with which I was familiar, it was clear that the writers were putting forth what I can only describe as complete and utter lies.

Which leads me to conclude that the whole basis for 'magic' is the idea that we can all choose what we wan
Nicole
Jun 29, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Where to start with this one? Hmmmm? I rarely write long reviews and this probably deserves a longer one, but I'm still keeping it short and sweet, at least for now. Most likely will come back at some point to add a few more specific details on a couple of my favorite essays.

Let's just say this was an interesting read that I skipped around with rather than reading in a linear fashion. Occult themed essays on "magick" and philosophy. I enjoyed this book, but not everyone will appreciate what it
Patrick Mooney
Sep 13, 2015 Patrick Mooney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Patrick by: The Sisters of WYRD
It is with honor and great synchronicity that I post this 33rd review of a truly essential modern day manual of magic.

Richard Metzger, like many good magicians, is not an easy character to figure out, especially in terms of his own personal, magical agenda. If you see him speak, listen to his interviews, or read his writings, it is clear that he is a thoughtful and intelligent man. However, there is also some cocksure stagecraft to his work that creates the feeling that one is being led deeply i
Daryl
Mar 09, 2015 Daryl rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
A Goodreads First-Reads giveaway win! Wow. What to say about this book? First impressions: the printing looks bad - cheap, yellowish pulp paper and poor reproductions of art. It took me five months to slog my way through this collection of various essays, all supposedly connected in some way with magick and the occult. (I took some notes on each essay early on, but quickly stopped that.) I was hoping to learn something new or interesting about the occult, but that hope was dashed early on, too. ...more
Pawl Schwartz
Apr 08, 2007 Pawl Schwartz rated it it was amazing
This is a great easy to read primer on everything you need to know. Well not everything, but if you've even had an inkling of interest in the unknown, this book will help you along your path. Its full of great scholoarly, biographical and wacko articles on intensley interesting people. It also sheds light on an entire culture full of genius ideas and great minds that goes unnoticed and unpublized. This is a must read.
nicole
Oct 25, 2007 nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: psychonauts, seekers, party-pantses, all of you.
Shelves:
Not necessarily everyone's cup of that proverbial tea, but if there's a part of you that's curious or drawn to it, read it. Lots of short essays in a collection, some are easier to read/digest than others...but surely fascinating and inspiring, clever stuff. Makes you think. And that's always good.
Savaş Manyaslı
Nov 19, 2015 Savaş Manyaslı rated it really liked it
Very interesting read.
Ben Rubin
Jun 09, 2015 Ben Rubin rated it liked it
If you're interested in a modern-day view of occultism then definitely read this book. Beware however, that there is a load of seemingly bullshit info behind many articles. Yet many are interpretations. The earlier articles could be of high interest to those interested in philosophical ideas. Not everything in this book comes across as a lie.
Steve Werner
Aug 31, 2015 Steve Werner rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection of some of the strangest, most provocative pieces you'll find dealing with magic and the occult. Some of the articles were mind-bendingly weird, yet I still feel like I took something away from them. There's a lot in here to stoke further study, and I'm sure I'll come back to this again and again over the years.
Matt Moran
Oct 17, 2013 Matt Moran rated it liked it
Pretty interesting - coffee table book format. I've read a few of the essays within: I'm mostly interested in sigil magic & working with invocations, thought forms & archetypes. Experimenting so to speak. Some of these I found hard to follow, rambling and not very to the point. P-orridge's essays being a case in point, they seemed to be full of theoretical assertions & not much practical "do this & you should get that" instructions. Grant Morrison OTOH wrote the intro & one v ...more
Tim Cusmano
May 26, 2014 Tim Cusmano rated it liked it
Not a big occult person, got just b/c disinfo. Still has good stuff, but not my preferred focus.
Pam Escarcega
Didn't read it.
John Wright
Jun 08, 2015 John Wright rated it really liked it
A solid hit-or-miss anthology of modern magick in theory (less in practice). As Metzger says in the introduction, this book contains a lot of lies. So many that some of them must be true. If you approach the book this way, you'll find it to be an invaluable starting point into the field. From here, myriad lines of inquiry can open up. A book I will definitely come back to.
Corey
Apr 28, 2008 Corey rated it really liked it
A fine book on the subject of modern occultism and lucifer fans. Paints a picture of satanism as a loose group of marginalized intellectuals rather than blood drinking killers. Though there are alot of drug taking/freaky sex having weirdos, but who am I to judge?
Frank Deschain
Dec 31, 2015 Frank Deschain rated it really liked it

This is at times a great primer on the theory and application of magick. At other times, the essays are tedious and have absolutely no concrete instruction. Overall, the book is okay but far from the ultimate magick tome that it initially aims to be.
Glenn Liddell
Jan 10, 2011 Glenn Liddell rated it really liked it
I heart almost every essay in this book and I have read it cover to cover several times after picking it up as a result of the longest string of strange coincidences ever. Lots of insight into the way magick is lived.
Tpeter
Aug 25, 2010 Tpeter rated it liked it
Being a collection of essays, the quality is not completely consistent. But over-all a high-quality book, of the type you will take out again and again... so many interesting topics are covered.
hethur
Jan 14, 2008 hethur rated it really liked it
I've discovered some writers I really enjoy by reading these disinformation collections...some of the stuff is a little "D&D" but it's definitely worth pushing through to get to the cool stuff....
Eric
Jul 02, 2009 Eric marked it as to-read
I bought this book a couple of years ago as a recommendation from an art teacher at the time. I keep meaning to read it.
Matthew
Mar 09, 2008 Matthew rated it really liked it
my introduction to Austin Osman Spare and Julius Evola. this is a great compilation for skeptiks and practitioners alike.
Nik
Nov 21, 2014 Nik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I won this book from First Reads Goodreads giveaway***

Some interesting material presented in this book, not bad.
Southernbelletat
This was full of interesting fact filled essays. I book you can pick up randomly throughout the day.
sadako
Jan 30, 2008 sadako rated it it was amazing
extremely entertaining. Freaky exposition on Jack Parsons. Extremely intriguing parts by Genesis P. Orridge.
Nick Mather
Help yourself to a great big bowl of fruit loopy out there. This is a fun read.
Brendan
Jul 30, 2011 Brendan rated it it was amazing
there are some absolutely fantastic essays in this anthology.
Tomb
Oct 23, 2011 Tomb rated it it was ok
I must confess.. I only read this because Grant Morrison was in it.
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Generation Hex: New Voices from Outside Reality
  • Everything You Know is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies
  • Underground! The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations, Astonishing Archaeology and Hidden History
  • Book 4
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • The Psychic Vampire Codex: A Manual of Magick and Energy Work
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford: Dilettante's Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist
  • Postmodern Magic: The Art of Magic in the Information Age