Start by marking “Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult” as Want to Read:
Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult
Preview

Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,321 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Disinformation’s "wicked warlock" Richard Metzger gathers an unprecedented cabal of modern occultists, -magicians, and forward thinkers in the latest in the series of the large format Disinformation Guides. Just as Russ Kick’s three Guides focusing on secrets and lies from the mainstream media, government, and other establishment institutions rethought what a political sci ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Disinformation Company (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Lies

Brave New World by Aldous HuxleySlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutCatch-22 by Joseph HellerPrincipia Discordia, Or, How I Found Goddess and What I Did t... by Gregory  HillLord of the Flies by William Golding
Bibles for the Revolution
29th out of 252 books — 93 voters
Wicca by Scott CunninghamDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonLiving Wicca by Scott Cunningham
Best Pagan Non Fiction Reads
47th out of 132 books — 148 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt Fimbulwinter
Apparently, the only people who have untold secrets about the occult are white dudes, or are famous because of their connection to white dudes.

There tiny nuggets of interesting buried in this collection of essays, but most of the writers were self-absorbed misogynist asshats whose ideas deserve to be forgotten. From the essay about why Wiccans should shut up and obey the writer because he's Crowley's heir, to some very baffling essentialist messes, most of this was a waste to time to read.

I gav
Roewoof
I was incredibly disappointed in this book.

There were a few essays in the beginning which I thought were excellent, but it all went downhill from there. This book is everything that I despise about hanging out with most magicians and discussing magick. It's mostly self masturbatory material that has little to do with magick theory, and how it can be applied to a wide range of traditions. It is for the most part, writings about drugs, and some magician's favorite artist, and the regurgitation an
Matthew W
Not a bad compilation of writings from disinformation, a company that otherwise seems interested in proliferating crypto-Marxist ideas. Hell, this book even features writings from the wise Baron Julius Evola and "Occult Fascist" Michael Moynihan. I also enjoyed article on the influence of magic on junky hero William S. Burroughs and his dream machine friend Brion Gysin. An essay on H.P. Lovecraft's influence on the Occult and vice versa I also found interesting. Most of the other articles, essay ...more
Tim
There was so much good information in this book that it will have to be read at least one more time. Many of the articles were not digested as well as they should have been, because I simply wanted to finish the whole thing. A good example of one of my reading shortfalls: I want to finish the book that I am reading instead of completely understand the subject. This must stop!
Damn CDO (OCD, but in alphabetical order)

7/12/10 - Reading it again, some very good ideas practice. I am on chapter 2.
Simon
It has taken me months to plough through this, and for some odd reason I started reading the essays in reverse order.

Anyway, it's a very well named book, because it is indeed a book of lies.

Those essays that overlapped with areas of history, science and archaeology with which I was familiar, it was clear that the writers were putting forth what I can only describe as complete and utter lies.

Which leads me to conclude that the whole basis for 'magic' is the idea that we can all choose what we wan
Daryl
A Goodreads First-Reads giveaway win! Wow. What to say about this book? First impressions: the printing looks bad - cheap, yellowish pulp paper and poor reproductions of art. It took me five months to slog my way through this collection of various essays, all supposedly connected in some way with magick and the occult. (I took some notes on each essay early on, but quickly stopped that.) I was hoping to learn something new or interesting about the occult, but that hope was dashed early on, too. ...more
Pawl Schwartz
This is a great easy to read primer on everything you need to know. Well not everything, but if you've even had an inkling of interest in the unknown, this book will help you along your path. Its full of great scholoarly, biographical and wacko articles on intensley interesting people. It also sheds light on an entire culture full of genius ideas and great minds that goes unnoticed and unpublized. This is a must read.
nicole
Oct 25, 2007 nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: psychonauts, seekers, party-pantses, all of you.
Not necessarily everyone's cup of that proverbial tea, but if there's a part of you that's curious or drawn to it, read it. Lots of short essays in a collection, some are easier to read/digest than others...but surely fascinating and inspiring, clever stuff. Makes you think. And that's always good.
Matt Moran
Pretty interesting - coffee table book format. I've read a few of the essays within: I'm mostly interested in sigil magic & working with invocations, thought forms & archetypes. Experimenting so to speak. Some of these I found hard to follow, rambling and not very to the point. P-orridge's essays being a case in point, they seemed to be full of theoretical assertions & not much practical "do this & you should get that" instructions. Grant Morrison OTOH wrote the intro & one v ...more
John Wright
A solid hit-or-miss anthology of modern magick in theory (less in practice). As Metzger says in the introduction, this book contains a lot of lies. So many that some of them must be true. If you approach the book this way, you'll find it to be an invaluable starting point into the field. From here, myriad lines of inquiry can open up. A book I will definitely come back to.
Tim Cusmano
Not a big occult person, got just b/c disinfo. Still has good stuff, but not my preferred focus.
Pam Escarcega
Didn't read it.
Corey
A fine book on the subject of modern occultism and lucifer fans. Paints a picture of satanism as a loose group of marginalized intellectuals rather than blood drinking killers. Though there are alot of drug taking/freaky sex having weirdos, but who am I to judge?
Frank Deschain

This is at times a great primer on the theory and application of magick. At other times, the essays are tedious and have absolutely no concrete instruction. Overall, the book is okay but far from the ultimate magick tome that it initially aims to be.
Kit Vane Tempest
The research is thorough and strong, mostly. The writing is awkward and uninspired. There are a few notable exceptions and these pieces seem great but perhaps this is only because of the surrounding works. The ideas are interesting though.
Glenn Liddell
I heart almost every essay in this book and I have read it cover to cover several times after picking it up as a result of the longest string of strange coincidences ever. Lots of insight into the way magick is lived.
Tpeter
Being a collection of essays, the quality is not completely consistent. But over-all a high-quality book, of the type you will take out again and again... so many interesting topics are covered.
hethur
I've discovered some writers I really enjoy by reading these disinformation collections...some of the stuff is a little "D&D" but it's definitely worth pushing through to get to the cool stuff....
Nick Kilner
A collection of essays and writings on the main theories and thoughts from the significant figures and writers involved in magick and the occult and esoteric studies.
Eric
Jul 02, 2009 Eric marked it as to-read
I bought this book a couple of years ago as a recommendation from an art teacher at the time. I keep meaning to read it.
Matthew
my introduction to Austin Osman Spare and Julius Evola. this is a great compilation for skeptiks and practitioners alike.
Nik
***I won this book from First Reads Goodreads giveaway***

Some interesting material presented in this book, not bad.
Southernbelletat
This was full of interesting fact filled essays. I book you can pick up randomly throughout the day.
sadako
extremely entertaining. Freaky exposition on Jack Parsons. Extremely intriguing parts by Genesis P. Orridge.
Nick Mather
Help yourself to a great big bowl of fruit loopy out there. This is a fun read.
Brendan
there are some absolutely fantastic essays in this anthology.
Tomb
I must confess.. I only read this because Grant Morrison was in it.
Amie
It is a disinformation book - a very good and interesting read.
Justin Tappan
Hit or miss, as is usually the case with collections.
Brady
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Generation Hex: New Voices from Outside Reality
  • Everything You Know is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies
  • Book 4
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • Underground! The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations, Astonishing Archaeology and Hidden History
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons
  • Postmodern Magic: The Art of Magic in the Information Age
  • Principia Discordia, Or, How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
  • The Occult
Disinformation: The Interviews Disinformation: The Complete Series Disinformation: The Interviews: Uncut & Uncensored Mel Bay presents Chansons of the 16th Century for Classical Guitar Everything You Know is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies