Start by marking “The Man Who Could Call Down Owls” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Could Call Down Owls

The Man Who Could Call Down Owls

When a stranger takes away the powers of an old man who has befriended owls, the vengeance wreaked on him is swift and fitting.
Published March 1st 1984 by MacMillan Publishing Company

Stacy
Oct 17, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it
My granddaughter really liked this book. Unusual story, all black and white illustrations.
Josiah
May 25, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
This book is startlingly clear in its message that treachery will not forever remain unpunished, and it goes about telling this story with stark and unfettered plainness. The pictures of the owl attack on the nefarious man are surprisingly graphic for a picture book, but Eve Bunting commands the attention of the reader with a strong writing style that is, to me, very reminiscent of Cynthia Rylant. "The Man Who Could Call Down Owls" certainly is not an easy book to forget.
Rachel
Feb 25, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
I wasn't keen on the story in the book, however I loved Charles Mikolaycak's wonderful owl illustrations, so it gets three stars instead of two because of that fact alone. I liked reviewer Josiah Jones' comment on the book, which was "This book is startlingly clear in its message that treachery will not forever remain unpunished".
Tracy
Aug 24, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
My son LOVES this book. It means so much to him on so many different levels. We read it over and over and each time, he adds something of his own to the story or retells it his own way. It's a beautifully illustrated book and every child should have this in their library!
Dolly
Jan 27, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a melancholy story with black and white illustrations that have an old fashioned charm. It's a short story that really tells a dramatic tale in both pictures and words. Our oldest is a big fan of owls, so this was naturally a hit with her. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Brie
Jul 30, 2012 Brie rated it it was amazing
While this wasn't a typical Eve Bunting book, I loved it all the same and even more so for the dark story and even darker illustrations by Charles Mikolaycak.
Beth
Apr 10, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
There in the general collection was a signed copy of the book from June, 1985.
The owls spot a fraud from their friend, Con. Black and white illustrations with blue borders frame the story.
Linda
Mar 20, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
A melancholy yet hauntingly beautiful tale of tenderness and love. Charles Mikolaycak's intricate and beautiful illustrations rate 5 stars.
Jim
Jun 18, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
didn't realize until i was done i'd been holding my breath through the reading of the book.

not an extra word or line.

wow.
Christina
Jun 25, 2008 Christina rated it it was ok
This wasn't a "bad" picture book, but it's not one of my favorites. I typically love Eve Buntings books, but this one just didn't touch me like some of the others.
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
May 23, 2010
Michaela
Michaela rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Sydney
Sydney rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2010
Monica
Monica rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
karen templin
karen templin rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Michelle Maria
Michelle Maria rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2010
Annika
Annika rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2010
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2008
Poornima
Poornima rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2010
Bruce Bloome
Bruce Bloome rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2012
Melanie Johnston
Melanie Johnston rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2013
R. C.
R. C. rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2009
Cathryn
Cathryn rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...