Start by marking “Awakening To Our Awful Situation: Warnings from the Nephite Prophets” as Want to Read:
Awakening To Our Awful Situation: Warnings from the Nephite Prophets

Awakening To Our Awful Situation: Warnings from the Nephite Prophets

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
For good religious people, one of the most difficult tasks in today's sophisticated world is to perceive evil when masquerading as good. It is due, in large part, to wishful thinking. Good Christian conservatives are often a beleaguered, minority within a democratic society, and rarely gain the ability to effectively control the powers of government. Thus, when "one of our ...more
Published 2006 by Nauvoo House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Awakening To Our Awful Situation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening To Our Awful Situation

Brian
May 27, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone who wants to learn what the warning in the Book of Mormon, Ether Chapter 8 (and all throughout the book) is all about, "Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you; or wo be unto it, because of the blood of them who have been slain; for they cry from the dust for vengeance upon it, and also upon those who built it up."
Mindy
Jul 28, 2011 Mindy rated it really liked it
Okay, I really like this book, but it made me very angry! I had to take long breaks in between chapters because I was so irritated with things in the past I couldn't change. I would say this book is somewhat of a "conspriacy theory", but there is a lot of research and quotes to back it up. The corruption/ secret combinations is sickening!
This book talks about the warnings from BOM prophets and how important our freedom is and why it is so important to do all we can to fight for it and keep the
Tia
Mar 27, 2008 Tia rated it it was amazing
It is my opinion that every Latter-Day Saint, especially those living in the United States, should read this book.

The full title of this book is "Awakening To Our Awful Situation: Warnings from the Nephite Prophets." The title comes from the scripture in Ether chapter 8 verses 23-25, where Moroni has been writing of the secret combinations had by the Jaredites and is now inserting a warning to us in our day. Here are some selections from those verses:

"Wherefore, O ye Gentiles, it is wisdom in G
Bryson
Sep 06, 2011 Bryson rated it it was amazing
I thank Jack Monnett for writing such an important work. Although I came to understand the same things that the author covers prior to reading Awakening To Our Awful Situation, getting confirmation through both independent study and personal revelation, I love how the author presents the information to the reader. The scriptures and the Lord's servants are liberally quoted, other secular sources are referenced and linked to. I find this work to be in complete harmony with the Book of Mormon and ...more
Travis
Sep 19, 2008 Travis rated it it was ok
I had read most of what was in here. It was well presented, though. The section on education was interesting. Basically, this book presents the case that there are one or more conspiring forces in the world that orchestrate most of the main events in the last 100 years. There is a well-considered and well-formed plan to erode the freedom of people around the world for the profit and power of a few individuals.

It's not a happy story. Is it true? Judge for yourself. For my part, I can't buy into a
Zinger
May 27, 2008 Zinger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
This book is old news for JBS members, but a great book for those that are willing to "take the blue pill" and see what is really going on in the world. It is a must read for any Mormons that are bored with the same old Sunday school class about how "all is well in Zion". International Secret Combinations is one of those messages the Book of Mormon warns us today about, and this book gives that warning some attention.
Ryan Patrick
Mar 27, 2016 Ryan Patrick marked it as started-not-finished
I warn everyone, and their neighbor, and their neighbor's dog, to steer clear of this kind of drivel masquerading as "academic research". Monnett simply preys on his faithful but unwary readers by wresting the scriptures in service to his personal agenda, and wrangling the facts to fit his bizarre conspiracy theory. If you buy this nonsense, then I know a guy from Nigeria who wants to make you a very rich person...

———

To begin with, this is not a real review because to really do that I would ha
Ben Marchant
Jun 11, 2012 Ben Marchant rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read, offering an eye-opening and fascinating insight into modern political-economy calling attention to the incongruities and omissions of major events in the 19th and 20th centuries that have been manipulated and covered up by the Gadianton societies of the latter days. The reality of secret conspiracies overtaking government, business and global politics is clearly outlined and gives places the readers on notice to defend, preserve and uphold this unique society of Liber ...more
Becky
Jul 31, 2008 Becky rated it it was ok
Okay, well really, I can't finish this book. I have read 3/4 of the book and there is something about it that bothers me; and I can't quite put my finger on it. This book is about gov. and conspiracies, and I do believe them to be true... but it's just very depressing learning about the corruptness of our nation, and the world for that matter! I prefer "Non Dare Call It Conspiracy" and "Many are Called but Few are Chosedn" over this book. Very thought provoking though...
Chris
Jan 25, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
Has some good points, but can get a little "doomsday-ish". He does have the point that most people just don't pay attention to what is going on in the world and the corruptness. I didn't read the whole thing, but most of it. I would suggest others to read it only to hopefully help open the eyes to what is very likely going on out there.
Kassie
Jul 21, 2009 Kassie rated it it was amazing
“I appreciate Dr. Monnett researching and putting into one place many quotes from our Prophets that talk about the things we will face in the last days, things that we are seeing being fulfilled in our day. It was sobering, but empowering as well, and helped me to realize that I can be aware of these things and not be fearful.”
April
Jan 09, 2009 April rated it it was amazing
Life changing! Scary! I believe most of it and think everyone should read it. Truly it makes one awaken to our awful situation. What can we do about it? Be politically involved, fulfill our civic duty the best we can, prepare our families (ie. food storage, get out of debt, stock up arms, etc.) and warn our neighbor.
Jim Nebeker
Mar 14, 2013 Jim Nebeker rated it really liked it
Long before Glenn Beck and Shawn Hannity, this book really did wake me up to our awful situation, and now, thanks to Glenn Beck and Shawn Hannity, I can see how the pattern continues and where it will eventually take us.
Misty Lynne
Aug 25, 2009 Misty Lynne rated it it was amazing
Done. Scary!

I am currently reading this book with my husband. It has sparked some great conversation between us and I think I am getting a lot more out of the book reading it with him than I would on my own.
Ernie Dawson
Nov 09, 2010 Ernie Dawson rated it it was amazing
Great read on current political issues from an LDS perspective. Book comes with a 2 hour DVD by Steven Jones, former professor of physics at BYU concerning the collapse of the World Trade Center building.
Brad
Jul 30, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it
A must read. If you want to know what's really going on in the world today this is a great book, written from an LDS perspective based on prophecies from the Book of Mormon. Highly recommended!!
Trina
Aug 18, 2008 Trina rated it really liked it
So well-written! Thoroughly documented and very timely. Every member of the LDS church should read this book and "awaken" to what is happening around us.
Desiree Finkbeiner
Mar 06, 2012 Desiree Finkbeiner rated it it was amazing
Excellent, eye opening. A must read for all those blind sheep Mormons out there who have absolutely NO idea what's going on behind the iron curtain.
Tim Painter
Jan 22, 2008 Tim Painter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: last-days
Great book. Even though it sounds like the entire government is in conspiracy it is backed up with good data and facts. A real eye opener.
Mary Lou
Jan 27, 2009 Mary Lou rated it liked it
Great analysis of the situation we are in today in 2009 using the Book of Mormon for insight. Good things to be watching out for.
Marcy
Jan 26, 2009 Marcy rated it really liked it
Very interesting insights into what is going on today and how the Book of Mormon prophesies of these events. Highly recommended.
Autumn
Nov 04, 2008 Autumn rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I think everyone who believes in agency and the Book of Mormon should read this book!
Kimberly
May 25, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and scary! It opens your eyes to secret combinations in our day.
Phila
Dec 23, 2013 Phila rated it it was amazing
Very informative, eye opening and reading book 2 now.
Melanie
Unsettling!! What has happened to America?
Chase Edward
Chase Edward marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Andrea Olivier
Andrea Olivier marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Jared Nelson
Jared Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Teri Hopkins
Teri Hopkins rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2016