Dory Story

Dory Story

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Be prepared for a few surprises when Danny ventures out into the bay in his dory.

Although taking the dory out solo is strictly forbidden, Danny cannot resist the calm waters of the bay. And that's where the adventure begins. He thinks rowing into a school of bluefish is trouble enough, but wait until the whales enter the picture. Danny encounters one sea creature after ano...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about Dory Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dory Story

After hearing Dave Biedrzyicki, illustrator of this book, speak at a School Library Media conference I purchased and read the book. All of the illustrations are done in PhotoShop rather than drawn or painted by hand. Each page took about 7 days for him to complete. He demonstrated the shading and drawing techniques he employs. I was fascinated!

The story describes a young boys' observation of an ocean food chain. A twist ending is thrown on the last page of the book. Parents would enjoy reading t...more
Renee' Williams
This book is easy to read but subject matter is better suited for an older child (10 maybe).
Hope
The book, Dory Story inspired me, because I found many opportunities to engage five and six-year olds with rich learning experiences. The predictions this book offers will encourage children to ask questions, think about the facts, and draw conclusions, thus encouraging children to think about what they are reading. (The book conatins many sights words from levels one and two.)
The author's intent to create a well-researched book containing adventrure, imagination, and humor are evident as one re...more
Noel Echols
A little boy tells an imaginative story of riding his Dory boat in the ocean and encountering all types of ocean animals. You do not until the end of the story that the story is just a tale.

Great pictures and unknown ocean animals make this story great for a visualization exercise

A sequence of animals eating and a food chain is mentioned & then the boy mentions that the food chain is more like a food wed: 4th grade science life science

Michelle
In this story, a young boy tells a tale off going out into the sea by himself and seeing all sorts of fish and animals. The pictures were...strange, I think. The story was pretty cute, but I just couldn't really get into it. The writing seemed a bit choppy and I felt no flow at all from one page to another. The idea was good but the execution was lacking.
Cheryl in CC NV
Impulse grab at the library. 3.5 stars. I liked it - when I was a child I wanted to go out by myself and watch the animals and figure out their behavior for myself w/out a grown-up teaching at me. But some of the critters on the food web are big and some are scary....
Wendy Jones
This is a cute story about a little boy that goes on a boat and wants to see plankton. What he discovers is a multitude of animals and observes their eating behaviors. This is a wonderful story to use with fourth grade students when teaching food chains/ food webs.
Mrs. Brandt
This informative, imaginative and 'a little scary' story is a perfect companion for the Grade 2 OCEANS Unit. Our copy is autographed by the author, Jerry Pallotta, who lives in MA and visited MacArthur a few years ago (sadly, it was before I was here!).
jacky
To be honest, I didn't hear all of this one since Natalie bumped her head and we had to step out of story time. But, from what I did hear, I just wasn't that into it. It was too much mentioning lots of info rather than a plot.
Gwnhwyfer
A neat way of introducing the ocean and it's creatures to kids, but I'm personally not a fan of the artwork (it's gorgeous; I'm just not into the "realistic" style) and it tends towards a little scary for a younger audience.
Kayla
A great story book that helps kids to picture what a food chain looks like with marine animals. Gorgeous realistic illustrations, and an ending that will pleasantly surprise you and make you chuckle.
Valerie
great for school-age to introduce food chain/web or sea life. Can also be used with preschoolers - they really like the ending!
Paula
Jul 02, 2011 Paula rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: pic
Great book for introducing children to the chain of life in the sea and an awesome ending!
Robin
This is a great tall tale and so beautifully illustrated with rich, vibrant colors!
SBPL Storytime
Exciting story with lots of pictures. Great ending.
Ellen Brandt
Ties into Ocean Unit - Food Chain.
Lynn
I love fun endings like this one!
Eileen
Great surprise ending.
excellent illustrations!
Lettie
Lettie added it
Jun 23, 2014
Kayli
Kayli marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My full name is Gerard Larry Pallotta but my mom always called me "Jerry". I was born on March 26, 1953 in Boston, Massachusetts. My mom's name is Mary, and she came from a family of ten children. My dad's name is Joe, and he came from a family of five children. My grandparents were immigrants of Italian descent. I have the nicest parents in the world. They have always been unselfish and ready to...more
More about Jerry Pallotta...
Apple Fractions The Icky Bug Alphabet Book Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight? Hershey's Fractions A Giraffe Did One