Start by marking “Gildenford (Norman Quartet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gildenford (Norman Quartet, #1)

Gildenford (Norman Quartet #1)

Told from the perspective of a Saxon peasant, this is a story about the ruling family of England and the changing succession during the early 11th century prior to William the Conqueror taking the throne in 1066 from the Earl of Wessex.
Published 1977 by Charles Scribner's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Gildenford, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gildenford

Helen
Aug 12, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
In 1036 the exiled Alfred Atheling, son of the late King Ethelred and his wife, Emma of Normandy, is invited to return to England to visit his mother. While lodging with Godwin, Earl of Wessex, in the town of Gildenford (now known as Guildford), Alfred and his men are betrayed and captured on the orders of King Harold Harefoot. The Atheling dies after being brutally tortured and blinded.

Several years later, Alfred's brother, Edward the Confessor, succeeds to the throne of England but the truth o
Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 Misfit rated it really liked it
This book is the first of a trilogy written by Anand about the Norman Conquest of England and begins in 1036 when Alfred Atheling and 600 of his party were betrayed and massacred at Gildenford by Harold Harefoot, one of the claimants for the English throne. But, did Harefoot have help in the plot to betray the Atheling and lead him to believe he would be safe entering England. His mother Emma Godwin, the Earl of Wessex. Brand the Woodcutter is innocently drawn into the plot and thus begins his y ...more
Sara Giacalone
Mar 19, 2010 Sara Giacalone rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this first book in Anand's Norman trilogy. It tells the story of the years leading up to the Norman Conquest, beginning with the massacare at Gildenford. Anand tells a very probable story, one that is entertaining, fascinating and a joy to read. Her characters - historical and fictional ones - are believable and colorfully brought to life. I couldn't help really liking Godwin and his sons (up to a point). I also loved the way the author skillfully wove the stories of Leominster' ...more
Lady of the Lake
Nov 17, 2008 Lady of the Lake rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: HF fans,
I had to step away from this for a day or two because for some reason I couldn't "hear" the individual voices of the characters like I normally do when I read. But even though they still weren't clear it was no fault of the author as the book was written well. The history was accurate and the characters that were imagined stayed true to the time and place.
This is a great start to the trilogy and others have done great reviews so I won't repeat here. All I will say is that I would recommend this
Dean
Jan 17, 2017 Dean rated it really liked it
I started this book then shelved it, lost interest in that time period. Picked it back up the other day and glad I did. I think it was a great book, maybe the story could of ended 50 or so pages sooner and the story picked back up in volume 2 but never the less look forward to the next 2 volumes of this series.
Mary Ronan Drew
Feb 16, 2017 Mary Ronan Drew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kilian Metcalf
This is the first of four novels about the years before and during the Norman conquest in England. Most of the characters are historical figures: Aethelred the Unready, Edward the Confessor, Cnut, William Godwin, and their sisters and their cousins and their aunts.
Penny
Nov 26, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This is a well written and very full account of the years leading up to the Norman Conquest. This is a period of English history about which I know little and so I thoroughly enjoyed this. The writing is very accessible and the plot does not drag despite being involved in court intrigue and politics.

(view spoiler)
Carol
Aug 19, 2012 Carol rated it liked it
This is one of the rare historical novels that deals with pre-conquest Britain. Specifically, it concerns Godwin, Earl of Wessex, the murder of Alfred Atheling, and the resulting effects on Godwin's personal and political relationship with King Edward the Confessor (Alfred's brother). The viewpoint is mostly that of Brand a (fictional) minor member of Godwin's household. Anand really breathes life into these remote historical events - the characters are complex, there's plenty of historical deta ...more
Denise
Jul 08, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
Book #1 in a 4-book series. Deals with the Saxons of England in the 40+ years BEFORE the invasion of Duke William of Normandy. Very well written and I enjoyed it immensely. The problem I ran into is not with the story or the author, but the fact that volume #3 (The Disputed Crown) is NOT available from either my local library or the main library in my central Ohio town. I can buy a used copy (half.com) for about $30 but I want to read the book, not read and keep. I'm finding this to be more of a ...more
Lalla
Apr 28, 2013 Lalla added it
This book is the first of a three part series by the author that tells the story of the early monarchies of England. The time is the 1000's and the author has created a fast moving story of a power struggle between a strong family and the royal family that ruled at this time. She manages to make this historical period come alive for the reader. I found the descriptions of how trade and government were created as well as the characters that were not royal, but helped make the story more personal. ...more
Patricia Bracewell
Aug 07, 2012 Patricia Bracewell rated it it was ok
I found this a fascinating book -- dealing as it does with many of the characters in my own novel, but at a much later date than my own will cover. Valerie Anand and I do not see eye to eye on the Godwins, but I could get around that, I think (I hope I am being honest here) if the main character was more compelling. He does change in the story, but he is not an actor. He is fortune's fool, tossed like flotsam on the tide of events. I think that is the major flaw of the book.

Anand's viewpoint jum
Bonnie
Nov 02, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Andrea, Kenzie, anyone who likes a well-written, non-romance historical novel
Recommended to Bonnie by: No one - just browsing the library shelves
I really liked this book for a number of reasons:
Very well written with complex characters
Showed reasons why William the Conqueror felt he had a right to the English throne but also why the English people felt they didn't want him for a ruler
Showed the consequences of an act of treachery.
Jan
Aug 07, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. Prior to reading this book I misunderstood who the Norman conquerors were. I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. Anand really made the characters and the times in which they lived, come alive.
Deb
Jun 23, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Wonderful explanation of the conflict between Edward the Confessor and the Godwins. How did I miss this series? Excellent for fans of historical fiction.
Julia Holloway
Oct 11, 2013 Julia Holloway rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! I can't wait to read the next in the series. I can't believe I hadn't read anything by Valerie Anand before. Terrific writer.
Mimi
Feb 13, 2013 Mimi rated it it was ok
A slow-moving, meaty, and yet slightly unsatisfying read. However, I enjoyed the history and was curious how it would play out. I would give it 2.5 stars.
Anne Simonot
Anne Simonot rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2008
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Jim Galford
Jim Galford rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Angus Whittaker
Angus Whittaker rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Coralie
Coralie rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Lesezeichen
Mar 28, 2016 Lesezeichen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
CLM
Read long ago but loved this series
Lindy
Lindy rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
Christy Gabel
Christy Gabel rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
sirinsy guadarrama
sirinsy guadarrama rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Great Maria
  • Shieldwall (Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • I Am the Chosen King (Saxon #1)
  • The Winter Mantle
  • The Seventh Son
  • The Morning Gift
  • The Last English King
  • Harald Hardrada: The Last Viking
  • Fields of Glory (The Vintener Trilogy #1)
  • Treason
  • Wife to the Bastard
  • The Bearkeeper's Daughter
  • Роксолана
  • Succession
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • The Brothers of Gwynedd (Brothers of Gwynedd #1-4)
  • The Ill-Made Knight (William Gold, #1)
Born in London, Valerie Anand knew at the age of six that she wanted to be an author. At the age of fifteen, she saw MGM’s film Ivanhoe. She walked into the cinema knowing that she wanted to be a novelist and walked out of it knowing that historical novels were the kind she most wanted to write.

Over the course of her long and distinguished writing career, Valerie has written many works of histori
More about Valerie Anand...

Norman Quartet (4 books)
  • The Norman Pretender (Norman Quartet, #2)
  • The Disputed Crown (Norman Quartet, #3)
  • King of the Wood (Norman Quartet, #4)