Start by marking “My Mother's Sari” as Want to Read:
My Mother's Sari

My Mother's Sari

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  23 reviews
One long stretch of cloth is what Mother always wears--"elegant yet so graceful. The mystery of the sari can be magic for a child, winding and weaving, just like the connection between a child and its mother. The style, the motifs, the interplay of children, colors, and textures, create the rich, mood-filled, and dreamy world of
Published September 1st 2006 by NorthSouth (first published August 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about My Mother's Sari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mother's Sari

Leslie
Illustrated using mixed-media, My Mother’s Sari opens with the endpapers bearing instructions in how to don a sari. The photographed human model’s person painted over in the manner of the characters we will soon meet in the story.

Whether it is in imaginative play, nose wiping (a favorite), or finally to wrap oneself up in and dream, each of the children’s mother’s sari function differently. And yet the unity of the text, that possessive I the reader will hear with one voice, recommends that one
Sam Grace
Aug 24, 2012 Sam Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: read aloud POC book lovers
It is rare that I read a picture book and have a clear vision for how I would improve it. But in this case, it was easy. The illustrator gave me the idea herself. But first, let me go over the rest.

The writing is short and very easy to read aloud and thus meets a very important criteria of mine for children's books that parents should actually own. I liked the cloth of the saris contrasted with the acrylics (and on some pages wished for a much stronger contrast).

But the illustrations were just
Alice
Summary: A child describes the wonder, comfort, and practical uses of her mother’s sari—the one long piece of fabric folded and tucked “just so” that makes up this traditional dress of the Indian women.

Indian culture is part of my family story and My Mother’s Sari afforded a sweet, sensory visit. I love the simple text and rich illustrations!

Sabnani accompanies the text with a combination of photograph and primitive style illustrations. The photographs display varying sari cloth—different patter
Stacy Slater
Rao crawled inside a child's imagination to give us a view of a sari from a short person's perspective. This wonderful garment becomes a blanket, a hammock, a climbing rope, and, when mom's not looking, a tissue for a runny nose. The text is simple, warm, and perfectly complimented by the mixed media illustrations. They capture the jewel tones and radiance of traditional sari materials, and the mischievous glee of a child playing in her mother's wardrobe. Children from pre-school through second ...more
Rose Goodwin
This is a good resource for teachers of young children. It also has the steps for putting on the Sari. It is a good book to teach on India's culture/clothing.
Kayla Whitlock
Cute book from an international perspective. I love how you could use this for beginning readers. They could use the pictures to help with the text.
Marissa Garcia
In a multicolored celebration parade, our lovely young protagonist lists all the reasons she loves her mother’s sari. She can hide in it, use it as a hammock, and even wipe her nose! There are even end paper instructions on how to properly wrap a sari.

The delightful illustrations are done in a mixed media format that splices in streams of photos of real saris along with the mischievous, darting little girl racing among the pages. Concise and very well written, this title could serve a number of
Elizabeth
The uses of a Sari told from a child's perspective is written nicely by Sandhya Rao. I couldn't give the book a higher rating due to the technique used by Nina Sabnani in the illustrations. While the photographic technique used for the sari captures the beauty of the colors and textures of sari's, on the other hand, the acrylic technique used for the children faces leaves it unclear whether it was one child telling the story or a different child in each page. The facial features of the child ima ...more
Janelle
Jun 06, 2008 Janelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like colors, clothing, using imagination
Shelves: children-s-books
My brother-in-law's Indian. When I participated in the wedding, one of my favorite parts was observing the beautiful clothing worn throughout the festivities.

The book is short but sweet, as it explores the various uses of a sari and where a child's imagination goes with it. It reminded me a bit of the old cardboard boxes we used as children.

The words are bold and clear to read. The illustrations are vivid and colorful, and use a mixed media approach using both drawing and photos of various mat
Beth Schencker
Children use their mother’s saris in imaginary play.
Casey
Very few words, nice artwork but not something I would want to pick up and read again. Discusses a little girl that plays with her mother's Sari. (kind of humerus, she wipes her nose on it) Shows different culture, but I'm sure there are better books available. A nice picture book for young pre-k/k students. Best part of the book was the inside covers, described step-by-step how to wrap a sari... enjoyed it better than the book.
Dolly
Jul 08, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, india
This is a short and simple book that describes how a young girl feels about her mother's sari. In the end pages, there are instructions for putting a sari on, which appears to be somewhat complicated. The narrative is poetic and evokes the feelings of comfort, warmth and love. Our oldest picked this book out at our library and read it for her summer reading log and I read it afterward.
Robin
A child plays with his/her mother's sari (varies depending on the page) -- pretending it is a train, a river, a rope, in this delightful book. The text is short enough for even a toddler storytime and the illustrations are bright and appealing. The endpages show how to wrap a sari into clothing. A really delightful book.
Westerville
A child plays with his/her mother's sari (varies depending on the page) -- pretending it is a train, a river, a rope, in this delightful book. - Robin, Youth Services

Reserve a library copy!
Mollie
Short and sweet. I like the colorful sari's and how each child would identify with their mother and their traditional clothing. But the choice of words and rhyming were a bit odd. A sweet book!
Emmeline Guest
Beautiful illustrations, combining acrylics and photography, make this sweet, simple, multicultural story, stunning.

This is a great multicultural read for the very young.
Nicole
Sep 05, 2008 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5 and under
Beautiful! Rao captures the essence of why children play with their parents’ clothes in the last few pages:
I love my mother’s sari…/ and how it makes me dream.
Vanessa
This story brings this culture alive for young readers. I liked how she discovered what the Sari was and what it meant for her mom to wear it.
Michelle
I enjoy the mixed media illustrations. The text is simple and sweet. The end papers have directions on how to wrap a sari.
Madison
Good book to show other students' cultures. It is also a book that shows how to make something!
Melanie
A young girl shares with readers the many ways her mother's sari is fun and beautiful.
Mckinley
Wouldn't want to wear the sari after she's been at it.
Shilpa
It's the cutest children's book!
Elakkiya M
Elakkiya M marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Puja
Puja added it
Feb 10, 2015
Naoko0172gmail.Com
Naoko0172gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Rama
Rama is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ekki Dokki: An Indian Folktale Dosa   English Hindi The Story Of Dandi March Stories on the Sand Cricket