Start by marking “Running with the Moon” as Want to Read:
Running with the Moon

Running with the Moon

Jonny Bealby was devastated when his fiancee, Melanie, died unexpectedly while they were travelling in Kashmir. Two years later, still heartbroken and utterly disillusioned, he took on the challenge of a lifetime. Setting out with only his motorbike for company, he began a daring and dangerous journey around the African continent in a desperate attempt to unearth some mean ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Random House UK (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Running with the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running with the Moon

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertWild by Cheryl StrayedThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonInto the Wild by Jon Krakauer
275th out of 560 books — 692 voters
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo IshiguroThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas AdamsA Room with a View by E.M. ForsterRebecca by Daphne du MaurierRomeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Good Books That Begin With R
141st out of 153 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 16, 2010 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
A travel book: boy rides motorcycle around Africa, interspersed with flashbacks to the sudden death of his fiancee and their romance (and no this is not a spoiler). Sometimes too syrupy for words, and sometimes truly interesting, but often too little about the places he visits.
Evander v
Dec 22, 2015 Evander v marked it as dropped
Well, a few pages in and already we've had gems like "Zaire may have been in turmoil, as, no doubt, were countless other African states, but so what?" As long as your trip's still on, you don't care. Then his "first experience of African bureaucracy": "Jonny, remember, this is ~Africa~, learn patience." I don't have time already for this crap, and went to read this book because it's been on my shelf for years and I'm cleaning up. There are more than enough books about Africa by Africans for me t ...more
Aug 30, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
A solid addition to my work-in-progress motorcycle adventure library.
I must admit, I didn't see the ending coming, pleasant surprise there and a nice coda. I may have skipped out the italicized relationship-history sections, although I'm sure others would like the book for those exact parts.
Quite the feat for early-1990's Africa, legendary even?
Quite enjoyed the book, compare and contrast with Charlie Boorman and Ewen M.'s Long Way Down.
Enjoyed it, which is what counts.
Mihai Alexe
Jul 28, 2013 Mihai Alexe rated it it was amazing
My favorite motorcycling adventure book, by far.
Heartfelt and true, it's bits of Africa flying by you as you thunder down that dirt road. If you ever wanted to ride a motorcycle, please pick this one up.
Mar 12, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
A guy travels through Africa by motorbike down the west coast and back up the east. Amazing journey off the beaten path.
Sep 05, 2014 Eon rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story, not his writing so much.
The endless similes got on my nerves a bit.
But a heartfelt telling, and a great adventure.
Jane Delaney
Feb 15, 2012 Jane Delaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Being a rider myself I could understand his frustrations when the bike got stuck in mud. Wonder how things are with him now?
Probably my favourite non-classic book. When I finished the book I felt I had to know what happened next. I didn't find the follow-up quite as compelling but still worth a read.
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2011
Joss rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Lucie Preest
Lucie Preest rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Britflik rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Joana rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
Tanya Billingham
Tanya Billingham rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Gary rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Julie Carter
Julie Carter rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Dom Giles
Dom Giles rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Michael Bell
Michael Bell rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2014
Kostas rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Saumya16 rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Craig rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Jesse Hartman
May 04, 2014 Jesse Hartman rated it it was amazing
This book was gripping, couldn't put it down, a definite 5 stars!
Mike rated it really liked it
May 29, 2009
Mark rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2008
B rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Chris Scott
Chris Scott rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Christine rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Dave Spaulding
Dave Spaulding rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015