Start by marking “Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan, #9)

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan #9)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  7,092 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The forces of darkness are closing in on outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem and his merry, filthy band ? but now they’ve got their own rope around the neck of corrupt President Callahan, and it’s time to start tightening the noose.

TRANSMETROPOLITAN: THE CURE is the ninth volume reprinting the acclaimed series written by Warren Ellis (PLANETARY, RED) with art by Darick Robe

Published December 1st 2003 by Vertigo (first published November 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9

Aaron
Even in its 9th volume Transmetropolitan manages to feel fresh. The detailed, future-shock, ads-gone-mad art is a thrill to behold, and Spider Jerusalem ranks as one of the best comic characters of all time. The story is taut, and you can feel the time ticking away as Spider rushes to take down the status quo as his brain is slowly eaten by disease. Even if you don't care about comics, you need to read this series.
Jess
I'm finally getting around to finishing off the last couple of volumes of the great Transmetropolitan series. Reading Volume 9: The Cure made me question why I left it so long, because here Ellis is in top form, there are so many quotable bits here. Ellis even manages to show us more of The City, continually revealing, even this far in the series, the strange technologies and methods of control in place.

Spider Jerusalem, outlaw journalist of the future, is now fighting a biological deadline in
Sam Quixote
Spider's brain disease (kind of like Alzheimer's) continues to kill him, the effects this time around are becoming more noticeable as he struggles to write his exposes. Meanwhile he and his filthy assistants are hot on the trail of Callahan's potentially Presidential-term ending exploits in his campaign and hunt down the last living witness to his depravities.

It was cool to see Mitchell Royce, Spider's former editor at "The Word", get more of a look in in this, the penultimate book in the series
Sam Quixote

Keely
Comics have been going through a very public struggle with maturity for some time now. They were well on their way until they were hit with the 'Comics Code' in the fifties. The code was an outgrowth of reactionary postwar witch-hunting a la McCarthyism, and succeeded in limiting the content of an entire medium for thirty years.

For example, all crime had to be portrayed as sordid, and no criminals could be sympathetic. There goes any comic book retellings of Robin Hood. Good always had to triump
Brian
Here it is. The payoffs have already shown themselves in this issue. Against all odds, Spider finally manages to pull it together just enough to get a story through with real, credible evidence that damages the Smiler. The last panel of this issue was all kinds of satisfying. At long last, the gruesome trail of murder and deceit is beginning to unravel for the monstrous President.

While obviously I enjoyed the end the most, the entire issue was incredibly strong. There were no meandering plot thr
Kim
Fuck! I love Transmet. Spider Jerusalem is my hero - if I believed in such a thing; Spider would think that was lame as shit. When I dream of being a writer/auteur/general rabble-rouser I dream of him.

For those who don't know: Transmet (as the fans call it) tells the story of rogue journalist Spider Jerusalem, a bald, tattooed, crazyman with glasses that have 24-hour-a-day information in them and can connect to an Internet that like, pops up in front of you. The future, man. Anyway, his city -
Joe Young
Transmetropolitan Vol. 9: The Cure collects issues 49-54 of the DC comic Transmetropolitan. The Cure finds Spider Jerusalem down and out: he's been fired from his job, evicted from his apartment, diagnosed with an incurable brain infection that is steadily reducing him to a drooling vegetable and is now being hunted by invisible, personal assassination squads sent by the President of the United States. But Spider is still smiling because he and his filthy assistants, Channon Yarrow and Yelena Ro ...more
Robert Beveridge
Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan: The Cure (Vertigo, 2003)

Ellis starts to wrap everything up in this penultimate volume of Transmetropolitan, tracking down the few surviving people who were part of the President's darker days on the campaign trail, one of whom is an old adversary. Spider Jerusalem is getting sicker; will he survive long enough to finish this last story? Despite the extremely dark tenor the story has taken in its final few volumes, Transmetropolitan remains as funny as ever. In fa
Owen
The Chair Leg of Truth swings and hits its bloodied mark, with a damn fined editor having his moment to boot.

As an aside, Glen Fabry's covers are a glorious fit for the series.
Regan Wann
Rushing, rushing, rushing to find out what's going to HAPPEN.

Such fun.

Scary martial law stuff. Scary political stuff. Scary mortality stuff.

FUN!
Michelle Lynne Widmann
The end of this series is coming up far faster than I'd like. But the story is getting intense now, and I'm not putting these books down until I'm finished.
Steve Werner
I thought the ending was weak, and the story petered out for the last couple volumes. Still right behind Sandman for my favorite comic series though.
Cameron
The story barrels along toward its conclusion, setting up the final confrontation as the president plays harder than ever.

Deena
The Smiler is one sick fuck... no match for our dear Spider and his filthy assistants though :P
Drew
As much as I thoroughly enjoyed this installment and only found a few little nitpicks at the start... there's only so much time you can spend waiting for that bell to ring. And this entire installment is the moment, not even the second but the split-second, before it does - that sort of drawn-out tension is spectacular but let's just say I'm quite glad I have the final installment on hand. You wouldn't want to let this cliffhanger sit any longer than absolutely necessary.
But ooooh it is a good o
Q
Volumes 8 and 9 really cemented my love for Spider Jerusalem as a character. While cynical and crude, there's a sort of boyish innocence to him that I really love. His passion is his passion and there was a certain page in volume 9 that, as an aspiring writer, actually got me a little choked up.

The comic is soon coming to a close and I'm going to be sad to see it end. But that just means I'll have to move on to more of Ellis' work. i.e. The Authority.
Poonam
I hope from the title maybe Spider got a cure. Turns out Cure is something else. Spider is trying to come to terms with his 'mortality' and deal with Callahan who is increasingly tying to rein him in.

Spider finds a witness in the wake of mass sympathy Callahan has generated after death of his wife and kids. Spider must find a way out to get his column published before President moves in with martial law.
Mikael Kuoppala
The penultimate volume in the “Transmetropolitan” saga by Warren Ellis is here. While not quite as perfectly toned and balanced as its dramatic predecessor “Dirge,” “The Cure” still keeps the plot well in check and doesn’t forget to be smart in the middle of all the extravaganza. We’re going fast still, and from the look of this are in for one smashing finale.
Dave Riley
I appreciate this series esp the graphics. Luv em heaps. In your face stuff superbly paced. It's a guilty pleasure and the pitch is so out there and libertarian. Still my Gonzo than the Duke ever coulda been but it Ameran, right? A hangover from the Beat perspective.

Its' Blade Runner on uppers.
Vleegoodfellow
This book picks up with Spider back tracking the footsteps of the Smiler's previous malfeasance, and does so in true Transmetropolitan form. The book still falls slightly below the creative achievements of the first few books, but that's a minor quibble, as its an accomplished read nonetheless.
Dan
For those who don't know this series it's basically Hunter S Thompson in the future. Spider Jerusalem is a ranting hack who will stop at nothing to get a story and bring down those he hates - which is everybody. Writer Warren Ellis is a literary god in my book...albeit a god with a sick mind.
Chad
Diagnosing your main character with a terminal illness that affects the brain does have its benefits. Namely, Spider is given a license to do anything he can think of whatever the cost and it gives the writer a license for absolutely any non-sequitur plot device.
arjuna
Again: see Sam Quixote. Sums it up perfectly. I will say however that the palpable sense of tension as we rocket towards the finale is very bracing. I *love* not being able to predict a damn thing.
Michael
This issue showed me how invested I became in the world of Transmetropolitan: seeing a sick Spider who is starting to loose it is almost painful, and I am sad knowing that there is only one more volume to read in this great series. Definitely one of my favorites.
Chris
This was great. Callahan is insane and Spider is fighting hard. I loved how the rules are pretty much over. Plus Royce got cool out of nowhere, so I'm super excited about that. I can't wait to finish the final volume and see how it all shakes out.
Tom
Feb 27, 2011 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Another good issue. I particularly like how the protagonist is starting to lose himself between his illness and his all-consuming desire to ruin a politician. It will interesting to see how many others get harmed as this plot progresses
Jaye
As you can tell by the rate I'm tearing through this series, I'm greatly enjoying it. However, the Bill Clinton references are getting old. Warren Ellis is too creative and cracked out to need to resort to such obvious references.
Lee
After having his evidence destroyed, Spider must gather more, to take another shot at the President. With all filthy assistants armed with bowel disruptors, he sets out to do this in his manic, though ill and wobbling fashion.
Brandt Fundak
I've really enjoyed Warren Ellis' ode to Hunter Thompson. The one wants of the collection is that much of the action is a result of plot elements in earlier volumes so it's best to just start from the beginning.
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 4: A Foregone Tomorrow
  • DMZ, Vol. 5: The Hidden War
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)

“Listen to the Chair Leg of Truth! It does not lie!” 28 likes