Start by marking “The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)” as Want to Read:
The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)

The Soft-Spoken Parent (More Than 50 Strategies to Turn Away Wrath)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Apply the strategies found in this book in your parenting and you will learn to better understand your children and exercise more patience and kindness.
210 pages
Published 2006 by Leatherwood Press

To ask other readers questions about The Soft-Spoken Parent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soft-Spoken Parent

Heather
Jun 08, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-books
I thought this book had a lot of helpful ideas. My favorite thought was that as parents we are not to judge and punish our children but rather to "nurture and admonish" them. I liked how he encouraged parents to look at their children with an eternal perspective, and to remember who they are and what their potential is. I also found liked his suggestions about being positive and making sure that we tell our children with our actions and our words that we love them and not to let our actions canc ...more
Blake
Feb 03, 2013 Blake rated it it was amazing
This book has wonderful recommendations and insights. Powerful examples and excellent points. It will fee your spirit and soul. It will make you feel like you happy and a good parent and at time help you see that you need work and feel pain or sorrow. The book explains that if pain and sorrow are felt that we can renew our efforts and use that as a good force to change and be better.

Best parenting book I have read. Hands down!
Amy
Jul 13, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this author. You can tell he has struggled and he gives great examples and quotes. A great read too, not something you have to trudge through, but that you can enjoy.
Oldika
Jan 28, 2010 Oldika rated it it was amazing
I haven't taken the time to update my reading list lately, but this is a book that I have to recommend... and not just to parents. I found the ideas in this book to be applicable to all relationships. Each chapter is short and can be read in a manner of minutes, but gives a lot to think about. I've read so many parenting books. Some have been helpful. Some of them make sense but don't work for me. Some are ridiculous. I just read one that suggested I get down on my hands and knees and talk baby ...more
Emily
Jan 26, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
My mom gave me this book for Christmas (with the assurance that she wasn't trying to "fix" me but that she liked the articles that she'd read by the author and thought I'd like the book)

And I did like the book, a lot! The title is pretty self-explanatory for what it's about. When he says "more than 50 strategies" he means 55. And they are all good. One thing that bugs me about not just his book, but lots of these type of books is that they up the number of strategies by repeating the same things
Catlin
Dec 01, 2010 Catlin rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Catlin by: Kristen
This was my second time reading this book, and it really made a difference in my life. It was exactly what I needed right now.

"It is not the parent who seems to do it all perfectly who will be exalted. It is the one who recognizes his own failing and calls upon Father with all the energy of his heart.... If we are to excel at parenting, we must have divine help." (pg. 206)

"It should be no surprise that some of the greatest trials of our lives come in parenting and family life. Only a task that d
Desiree
Oct 12, 2009 Desiree rated it it was ok
The low rating is more for the fact that I really loathe most self-help books. I either don't feel engaged enough to have it do me any good or it feels sort of obvious. I also can't stand it when there are self-study questions. It feels heavy-handed to me. I want to be a more soft-spoken parent, but this wasn't working for me. Basically all the strategies require you to step back and breathe in a moment of stress, which is exactly what I need to do, but I knew that already. So I guess I should r ...more
Rebekah Sheppard
Feb 28, 2014 Rebekah Sheppard rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Good specific points and tips.
Stephenie
Oct 02, 2009 Stephenie rated it it was ok
The introduction to the book was wonderful. Every good parent needs to read the introduction. As I started reading the actual book I found myself thinking I disagree with the basis of the book. We should not anger, but consequences should follow actions. I have seen a few people parent the way this book recommends and the results they are getting aren't the results I want. I think this book is at one end of the spectrum and we need to be in the middle.
Keri
Oct 31, 2008 Keri rated it really liked it
My daughter has entered her tempestuous twos and my patience started wearing thin. This book at first seemed full of obvious strategies for dealing with challenging situations, but as I read on, I discovered that reading these seemingly obvious strategies was a great reminder of how I can better deal with the everyday trials of parenthood. I don't love the format of the book, but I can honestly say that I use some of the 50 strategies daily!
Adri
Aug 01, 2014 Adri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
I truly felt the desire and ability to be a better parent after reading this book.
I loved The Soft Spoken Parent! WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD...AND MORE!
Quotes from prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints were my favorite part. Their words are true and powerful. There are many quotes and scriptures used that I had not heard before. So happy I read this :-) Woohoo!!!
Lori
Apr 05, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I feel that this book is for all parents - not just those who struggle with losing their temper. (Although, at times, we all do). It offers great insight and suggestions for dealing with and interacting with children. And provides a reminder of how special and precious they are. I will definitely read it again!
Jordan McCollum
Jan 16, 2011 Jordan McCollum rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Many of the methods are kind of a "duh" (but I suppose this kind of book needs to be written to all levels, and just because I knew about the methods doesn't mean I was employing them!), and many of them are very opaquely named, but I did find a lot in this book that I'll be trying to incorporate into my parenting.
Geneva
Jun 07, 2008 Geneva rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. While I really liked some of his ideas, other of the ideas seemed a little repetitive, but written in a sincere way. Very encouraging to parents; helps you want to keep trying and helps you to look upon your children with greater compassion--good at giving the child's perspective.
Misty
Oct 23, 2008 Misty rated it it was amazing
This book is meant to be a workbook however, I checked it out from the library so I didn't use it that way. He offers very good ideas and quotes a lot of scriptures and General Authorites. I felt it was uplifting and gave me new inspiration to be a better parent and wife and person.
Gina
Apr 22, 2010 Gina rated it really liked it
Loved the intro! There was good insight & something to take from each strategy as well. Quick read, it may not be all new information but it is a good reminder to focus on how you respond & to keep things in perspective on what matters most...your relationships.
Jacqui
Jul 13, 2009 Jacqui is currently reading it
I need this book for some summer coping mechanisms! :) It is giving me great ideas. Anger is such a destructive force, and is much of the time unwarranted--at least in every day situations. I appreciate tools to deal with anger in a positive way.
Anna
Mar 07, 2011 Anna marked it as to-read
This is such a great resource and I will be re-reading this a lot. There are so many good ideas on how to be a good parent, and most of them are easy if you just pat a little bit of attention. I would reccommend this book to any and all parents.
Tara
Oct 28, 2015 Tara rated it it was amazing
book club book. I will definitely be re-reading this often to remind myself of the best way to deal with all my relationships, not just with my kids. It's nice to believe that I can stop yelling, that I can be a more perfect parent.
Colleen
Oct 11, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing
I found myself not liking my current parenting style so picked up this book my mom gave me years ago. I have really enjoyed reading it. Some of the suggestions are repetitive but overall it was wonderful.
Stefanie
May 11, 2009 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! It gives a ton of realistic approaches to dealing with your frustration and anger with your kids. I think it also leads to a greater understanding of anger and how to deal with it.
Traci
Aug 31, 2009 Traci rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS book that puts anger in its place and helps give practical ideas of how to handle situations. NOT JUST FOR PARENTING -- apply the principles to anger in marriage or workplace too.
Patty
Feb 04, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who's not perfect!
I totally need to read this book a little every day! It was very helpful in getting another perspective on how to make good choices in parenting. Now if I can just impliment it!!
Madelyn
Apr 03, 2010 Madelyn rated it liked it
This book has some great ideas but it ended up just making me feel like a bad mother. If I could "turn away wrath" all the time with 5 kids I would be able to work magic.
Tiffani
Oct 19, 2008 Tiffani rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I recommend it to all parents. It works great for Family Home Evening lessons. I formed a moms club last year and used this book for our meetings.
Beth
Apr 16, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading through this bood. The format was great, but I didn't work any of the exercises. It really helped give me a litle needed perspective.
Amber
May 01, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
I love this book! It really makes me think about things through my children's perspectives. I like to read one idea a night to refresh my thoughts on parenting.
Crystal
Jan 10, 2009 Crystal rated it it was amazing
So far I LOVE this book. Some of the strategies are slightly redundant, but the ideas are amazing, and can be used in any aspect of life, not just parenting!
Bethany
Jun 22, 2009 Bethany rated it really liked it
Many good reminders on how to keep your cool with the kiddos. Nothing profound or life changing, just common sense and how to apply it. I would recommend it.
Rachael
Jul 14, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Excellent parenting book - easy to read, gospel centered teaching and examples. I renewed it again and again through the library here and highly recommend it.
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • Teaching Your Children Joy
  • 10 Secrets Wise Parents Know: Tried and True Things You Can Do to Raise Faithful, Confident, Responsible Children
  • Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • The Discipline Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Better-Behaved Child From Birth to Age Ten
  • Bringing Up Kids Without Tearing Them Down How To Raise Confident, Successful Children
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • 101 Things You Should Do Before Your Kids Leave Home
  • The Mother in Me: Real-World Reflections on Growing Into Motherhood
  • Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love